creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:12 pm

Yeah. It's a tricky tap to turn on and off for lots of players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:12 pm
Yeah. It's a tricky tap to turn on and off for lots of players.
It is. And I get the argument he’s overdoing it to demonstrate his style and stamp it on the team.

I suppose what I’m saying is you have to sometimes get set first. These aren’t ideal batting conditions. Once you get going and you are stroking it round then I’d be less bothered that you get out. But he just feels like he’s determined to force it sans any rhythm. And that seems a bit foolhardy to me. Face another 10 balls and maybe his timing is there now and he makes a score. Bairstow would have comfortably broken the fastest hundred in any test ever had he not played himself in first against NZ. But I think finding the balance is key. This India attack in these conditions would be a handful for anyone.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:49 pm

Another top notch ton from Johnny Bairstow...3 in 3...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:59 pm

Johnny showing them exactly how to do it. Play yourself in and pick your moments. Marvelous to see. He's having the time of his life.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:04 pm

In fairness the problem this test is having them 90 odd for 5 and then scoring 400 plus. From 90 - 5 you are disappointed if they get 250 and more than a bit miffed if they get 300. Let alone 400.

Pant is superb but still think we lost our heads a bit as NZ did against us a few times to be fair.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:56 pm

Absolute farce this. Identical to Root the other day. Root didn't celebrate, so soft signal not out. They did so soft is out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:56 pm
Absolute farce this. Identical to Root the other day. Root didn't celebrate, so soft signal not out. They did so soft is out.
It’s a nonsense. A soft signal where an umpire has no clue is the determinant. Rule needs changing.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:58 pm

Yep, obviously back in the day they had to have their best guess but now it just needs to be not out unless clear evidence (or vice versa).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:05 pm

Nobody move!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:25 pm

I've been stood on one leg for an hour.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:26 pm

Win or lose this, the turnaround is extraordinary. We were so timid and dull as a batting unit under Silverwood. Seeing how Bairstow has blossomed with the freedom id love to see how Buttler would do. He’s another who just looked confused trying to adapt his game.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:34 pm

That's more like it! :-(

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:59 pm

jimbo wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:26 pm
Win or lose this, the turnaround is extraordinary. We were so timid and dull as a batting unit under Silverwood. Seeing how Bairstow has blossomed with the freedom id love to see how Buttler would do. He’s another who just looked confused trying to adapt his game.
There are a few players I’d like to see. Not sure where Buttler fits in right now given Foakes is the better keeper and not a slouch with the bat either. But given the dramatic change we should be open to giving people further chances for sure.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:59 pm
jimbo wrote:
There are a few players I’d like to see. Not sure where Buttler fits in right now given Foakes is the better keeper and not a slouch with the bat either. But given the dramatic change we should be open to giving people further chances for sure.
Yeah. Been wrestling with this one too. I don't believe all "mindset" and "freedom" is entirely at any coaches door. Silverwood wouldn't have been grumbling at anyone hitting frequent tons.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:59 pm
jimbo wrote:
Yeah. Been wrestling with this one too. I don't believe all "mindset" and "freedom" is entirely at any coaches door. Silverwood wouldn't have been grumbling at anyone hitting frequent tons.
Yet he couldn’t get a tune out of any of them. I think he was clearly a much bigger issue than we realised.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:47 pm

I can buy some of that, just not all of it. I'd be amazed, nay stunned, if Silverwood was telling Root how to bat. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:47 pm
I can buy some of that, just not all of it. I'd be amazed, nay stunned, if Silverwood was telling Root how to bat. :-)
But I think the results and performances speak for themselves. I suspect there was a negative and unambitious mood around the place that Silverwood fostered. And that resulted in poor performances and players unable to feel confident and settled. Yet now the mood is clearly very very different. I don’t think this is about telling people to go and whack sixes its about making players confident in their games and clear on what they are going to do.

It’s working. It’s miraculous. Win or lose I think it’s obvious Silverwood dragged us down.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:58 pm

There's a decent article in Wisden about his first 18 months in charge when we passed 400 in 7 innings (after looking shakey towards the end of Bayliss era). Registed two away series wins.. etc. Etc. His report card at the point looked pretty decent. 2021 was a disaster, but we had India and Aus away whilst in a bubble which can't have been easy.

I'm not suggesting he got nowt wrong, nor that we made some strange decisions. Just that I doubt it was all Silverwood. I'd be little more confident that we'd beat Aus and India away, if we set off tomorrow...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:19 pm

Surely, a lifetime of following English test cricket tells us to fully expect the current two to be out cheaply in the morning and for an inevitable collapse to set in 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:25 pm

I just enjoyed us playing well and winning. We seem much more a team right now, with everyone doing their bit (in no particular order). We know what Root, Stokes, Anderson and Broad are capable of, who would have thought a few weeks ago that Jonni Bairstowe or Jack Leach would find such a rich seam of talent to be such heroes? Despite Crawley, Lees, Pope et al, not being always the stars, opening bat at this level is far tougher a task than it may seem for either side: new ball, fit and fresh bowlers, untested pitch and uncertain weather effects all contribute to cause problems. This borne out to some degree by the middle order being the match winners.

Long may it last.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?