creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:13 am
Anyone got the weather forecast for Chennai? 😥
Third Umpire said monsoon for three days.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:41 pm

I did think 300 looked more like 650 on the pitch.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 am

Shall we just move straight on to the third test? I think we should.

Why won't Ali be playing? He's arguably the only player to come out of T2 with any credibility in tact.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:41 am

Third Test? Have we played the second yet?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:41 am
Third Test? Have we played the second yet?
Arguably not :D

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 am

Why won't Ali be playing? He's arguably the only player to come out of T2 with any credibility in tact.
All 3 format players have pre-agreed rest periods this winter to take time out of the bubble and go home. At the moment limited overs is taking priority (rightly or wrongly. That’s a debate in itself) given there’s a T20 WC coming up. Stokes missed Sri Lanka, Butler has now gone home, and Bairstow is on his way back.

Root’s language about Ali was clumsy, saying Moeen and ‘chosen’ to go home whereas the others were all firmly framed as being part of the long term plan.

Now Moeen is getting grief from the media for lacking commitment.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:25 pm

jimbo wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

All 3 format players have pre-agreed rest periods this winter to take time out of the bubble and go home. At the moment limited overs is taking priority (rightly or wrongly. That’s a debate in itself) given there’s a T20 WC coming up. Stokes missed Sri Lanka, Butler has now gone home, and Bairstow is on his way back.

Root’s language about Ali was clumsy, saying Moeen and ‘chosen’ to go home whereas the others were all firmly framed as being part of the long term plan.

Now Moeen is getting grief from the media for lacking commitment.
Cheers Jim. Very interesting. What happened to us going balls out to put a test team together capable of winning The Ashes?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:12 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

It’s a bit of a shambles our selection right now. I know it’s Covid bubbles and mental health to some extent but cricket is a rhythm game. Taking players bang on form in and out is just bonkers. Ali has played one test in a year. It’s absolute madness. Jimmy didn’t need or want a rest. Whilst I accept some of this policy is unavoidable we aren’t helping ourselves here. Buttler having a rest to give Foakes a chance is good. Olly Stone getting some experience is good. But let’s not have stupid decisions like resting Jimmy for no good reason after he’s just put on one of the greatest swing bowling displays in India ever.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:12 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

It’s a bit of a shambles our selection right now. I know it’s Covid bubbles and mental health to some extent but cricket is a rhythm game. Taking players bang on form in and out is just bonkers. Ali has played one test in a year. It’s absolute madness. Jimmy didn’t need or want a rest. Whilst I accept some of this policy is unavoidable we aren’t helping ourselves here. Buttler having a rest to give Foakes a chance is good. Olly Stone getting some experience is good. But let’s not have stupid decisions like resting Jimmy for no good reason after he’s just put on one of the greatest swing bowling displays in India ever.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/indi ... ur-1252037

This article sums up the Ali situation far more eloquently than I can. I can’t blame him for wanting to go home in his agreed rest slot. 5 months away from home in a covid bubble would drive anyone mad.

The rotation is only seeming to be an issue now as it’s taking place during the test series. Previously players would have nipped home for ODIs or T20s but we’re openly prioritising them this year. That’s a different debate in itself, but I guess if we want to have a decent crack at the World Cup this year those decisions need to be made.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:33 am

jimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:52 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

This article sums up the Ali situation far more eloquently than I can. I can’t blame him for wanting to go home in his agreed rest slot. 5 months away from home in a covid bubble would drive anyone mad.

The rotation is only seeming to be an issue now as it’s taking place during the test series. Previously players would have nipped home for ODIs or T20s but we’re openly prioritising them this year. That’s a different debate in itself, but I guess if we want to have a decent crack at the World Cup this year those decisions need to be made.
Yeah but let’s unpack some of that. Moeen was unable to play in SL because of positive Covid test. But he had to stay in bubble. Then to India left out of first, played in second with agreement to go home after that. But agreement was made Pre tour then Smith asked him to stay on when it turned out that Moeen is probably a much better bowler than Bess.

So here is the mess. After SL Moeen could have gone home for the first two tests and then returned to play. OR he could have played the first two tests then returned. But as it is Moeen played one test got a bit of rhythm then off he goes.

Rotation that makes sense is ok. Covid and mental health reasons require some flexibility where it is possible. Jimmy being rested makes absolutely no sense after the first test.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:33 am
jimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:52 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Yeah but let’s unpack some of that. Moeen was unable to play in SL because of positive Covid test. But he had to stay in bubble. Then to India left out of first, played in second with agreement to go home after that. But agreement was made Pre tour then Smith asked him to stay on when it turned out that Moeen is probably a much better bowler than Bess.

So here is the mess. After SL Moeen could have gone home for the first two tests and then returned to play. OR he could have played the first two tests then returned. But as it is Moeen played one test got a bit of rhythm then off he goes.

Rotation that makes sense is ok. Covid and mental health reasons require some flexibility where it is possible. Jimmy being rested makes absolutely no sense after the first test.
Yeah I think the Moeen thing is a mess. As you say, ideally he plays tests 1 and 2 in India and then goes home. Problem is he may have been a bit off it having being locked in his bedroom for 2 weeks in SL. Had he played the first test, you’re leaving out Leach or Bess who had decent tests in SL and then you’re back to disrupting people who have rhythm.

I was against Anderson being rested ahead of the second test, but in hindsight it’a probably beneficial he didn’t play. Better him being fresh for 3rd and 4th tests rather than flog himself on that dustbowl this week with no prospect of really being able to influence the game.

I’ve kind of made peace with the fact that there are going to be a lot of imperfect selection decisions this year. It’s impossible to give absolute priority to mental health, player welfare, and performance in 3 formats with the packed calendar and covid bubbles. It’s just nice to have some cricket to follow to give a semblance of normality.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:00 am

We’ve gone for 1 spinner. India have picked 3. Have a feeling one of the two teams will end up regretting their decision.

We’ve also got a very long tail.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:23 am

jimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:00 am
We'll need it at this rate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:22 am

jimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:00 am
We’ve gone for 1 spinner. India have picked 3. Have a feeling one of the two teams will end up regretting their decision.

Pitch is doing all sorts for the spinners. Another selection mess. Jofra shouldn't be in and we should have another spinner (which should be Moeen but of course we all know that mess there).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 am

I would venture that it doesn't seem to be the bowling that is the problem...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:56 am

FFS just got out of a 90 minute meeting and seen we’ve lost 7 wickets. Maybe just a genius tactical ploy so that Borad and Anderson can bowl them out for 40 under the lights later?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:45 pm

Aye - I saw a headline saying England collapse to 105-7, clicked on scorecard to find it was actually 112-9. Oh dear

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:46 pm

8? wickets to spin on Day 1?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Make that 9, 112 All out...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:59 pm

There’s a disappointing lack of highlight clips on SM this series so I’ve not been able to see any of today. Reading through comments though we seem to be playing for turn that isn’t there and getting out to balls that aren’t doing a great deal.