creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:20 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:05 pm
Stokes and Leach!

Double leftie though so maybe not.
:mrgreen: Yup - that's where I landed too! We know that's a sure-fire recipe for success

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:20 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Stokes and Leach!

:mrgreen: Yup - that's where I landed too! We know that's a sure-fire recipe for success
Aye, the greatest "1-not out" in the history of cricket.. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:45 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:20 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Stokes and Leach!

Aye, the greatest "1-not out" in the history of cricket.. :lol:
You're doing him a disservice TD. He opened the 2nd Innings against Sri-Lanka and Ireland and hit 1 & 92 respectively - so he actually does average 46 as an opener.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:53 am

Root's stepped down
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:53 am
Root's stepped down
Aye, think it was time for clean sweep, obviously next question is who? None of the possibilities absolutely smack you of "It's gotta be x" no FEC in the ranks. Mind you, since you only need to average 10 to be a test opener, there's lots to choose from.

In other news, oh Lanky, Lanky wrapped up on 344-4. Yesterday was a day off so in traditional form, went to pub and there was a bloke listening to it on radio in the beer garden. Earwigging made for a pleasant couple of hours...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:41 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:53 am
Root's stepped down
Aye, think it was time for clean sweep, obviously next question is who? None of the possibilities absolutely smack you of "It's gotta be x" no FEC in the ranks. Mind you, since you only need to average 10 to be a test opener, there's lots to choose from.

In other news, oh Lanky, Lanky wrapped up on 344-4. Yesterday was a day off so in traditional form, went to pub and there was a bloke listening to it on radio in the beer garden. Earwigging made for a pleasant couple of hours...
It’s going to be very transitionary now. But I think he had to go. A great player but not a great captain. And recently he’s been dangerously protective of sub standard players and attitudes.

He can go back to just focussing on batting. Next captain is anyones guess. I’d go Broad but can’t see it happening.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:13 pm
He can go back to just focussing on batting. Next captain is anyones guess. I’d go Broad but can’t see it happening.
Talk of Stokes. I'm really not sure about that. That said, I haven't a bloody clue where we go from here, but I absolutely agree that the game's up for Root as captain.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:37 pm

Always been an advocate of one man not making a team. I think Joe Root was a bit unfortunate in the team in general being less then perfect right now.. Great batsman and maybe the loss of responsibility as captain can free him up now, who knows? Ben Stokes for his fighting spirit for me, but Broad is a fighter too. Jack Leach as a wild card ?...Only time will tell.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:05 am

The couple of candidates aren't without downsides.

I think there's a problem given they tried unsuccessfully to move past Broad and Jimmy for WI...Think that makes it difficult to pick Broad.

Stokes hasn't been at his top drawer best for a couple of seasons and there's a question as to whether he wants or needs the extra pressure. I can remember when they tried this with Botham. That didn't end well.

I'd be stunned if they went for Leech, even if we'd just had a month of Sunday's and a plague of frogs...

I mean you could probably make a case for most others to be dropped. Bit like the openers, not a lot of obvious Captains about.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:54 pm

Stokes just doesn’t strike me as a test captain. A talisman and leader through example - yep. But a lot goes with test captain and I just don’t see Stokes as being the sort who would deal well with it. We’ve already see him have to drop out of the test setup for a while with mental health issues so I’m just not sure piling the captaincy on him is right.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:54 pm
Stokes just doesn’t strike me as a test captain. A talisman and leader through example - yep. But a lot goes with test captain and I just don’t see Stokes as being the sort who would deal well with it. We’ve already see him have to drop out of the test setup for a while with mental health issues so I’m just not sure piling the captaincy on him is right.
That's where I'm at too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:18 pm

^^ Well, I guess we're going to find out soon enough!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:49 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:18 pm
Aye. Very much positioned as ‘there is nobody else’. Which I guess we know there isn’t really.

Immediately said he wants Anderson and Broad back in which is good.

The critical appointment for me here is the coach. Stokes as captain is relatively short term. But Rob Key has to get the coach right as they set the atmosphere and offer that longer term view. We need someone who wants to win and can create a culture and atmosphere that doesn’t tolerate sloppiness.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:49 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:18 pm
Aye. Very much positioned as ‘there is nobody else’. Which I guess we know there isn’t really.

The critical appointment for me here is the coach. Stokes as captain is relatively short term. But Rob Key has to get the coach right as they set the atmosphere and offer that longer term view. We need someone who wants to win and can create a culture and atmosphere that doesn’t tolerate sloppiness.
Agree. I have some sympathy with the outgoing team, in that there's never been a playbook for "how to manage tours in COVID" and some decisions they made like "rotation" you might not even consider in a non-COVID scenario..But certainly a "winning" mentality will be up there. Plenty of that needs to come from the Captain and team themselves too thought - bit like Roy Keane when he's blathering on about United in his days - the team need to hold themselves to account....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Was listening to fat Bobby Key being interviewed last night who said that he and Stokes agree that we should always play our best side available.

In general I agree, however, we do need to have an eye on the future and have developing players coming through. How do we do that without giving them game time at the expected level?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Was listening to fat Bobby Key being interviewed last night who said that he and Stokes agree that we should always play our best side available.

In general I agree, however, we do need to have an eye on the future and have developing players coming through. How do we do that without giving them game time at the expected level?
I would say you introduce them into the side with the likes of Broad and Anderson to learn from surely? Rather than bring them in to a side that loses in the windies in a depressing and predictable way where they only gain experience of losing in a bad side.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:39 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I would say you introduce them into the side with the likes of Broad and Anderson to learn from surely? Rather than bring them in to a side that loses in the windies in a depressing and predictable way where they only gain experience of losing in a bad side.
Well when what you consider your best batsmen in some positions are averaging 10, it ain't going to make a shitload of difference TBF.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
]

Not sure there's any other way than the traditional trial and error Bruce. In cricket, the very best previous can be made an ass of in one over, as has been proven so many times.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 11, 2022 9:48 pm

Brendon McCullum. No idea whether good or bad pick for mens coach as I think he's only coached short form...wouldn't have been the first name I'd have thought of for Test coach...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 11, 2022 10:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:48 pm
Brendon McCullum. No idea whether good or bad pick for mens coach as I think he's only coached short form...wouldn't have been the first name I'd have thought of for Test coach...
Being honest, not heard of him. Sounds very Oz?