Top travel tips...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Top travel tips...

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Monarch. Used them a lot. Never had a problem of any sort.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:08 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
William the White wrote:Don't be two minutes late for Ryanair check in.

This advice comes from man who did not make it to Guimaraes away...

bastards...
Do book a hotel and have a good night's sleep before your flight. Don't avoid paying for a room, by sleeping in Munich Airport and remaining so until your gate has closed and also missing the numerous telephone calls from yours truly. That's precisely what my brother in law did after the game there. This results in a very long and very expensive train ride home.
Could have been worse, you could have spent a night cuddled up on a floor at Frankfurt airport the year before, missin all the pre match 'entertainment'. Oh............... :grin:
Tw@t. Our researcher has since been sacked. Frankfurt Hahn ffs! :roll:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
William the White wrote:Don't be two minutes late for Ryanair check in.

This advice comes from man who did not make it to Guimaraes away...

bastards...
Do book a hotel and have a good night's sleep before your flight. Don't avoid paying for a room, by sleeping in Munich Airport and remaining so until your gate has closed and also missing the numerous telephone calls from yours truly. That's precisely what my brother in law did after the game there. This results in a very long and very expensive train ride home.
Could have been worse, you could have spent a night cuddled up on a floor at Frankfurt airport the year before, missin all the pre match 'entertainment'. Oh............... :grin:
Tw@t. Our researcher has since been sacked. Frankfurt Hahn ffs! :roll:
Tell you, mate - you'll be longer on the Terravision bus than you'll be in the air!
May the bridges I burn light your way

sicily4u
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by sicily4u » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:34 am

Whenever you plan for a long travel trip, You will need some tips to prepare. Wherever you're going, it's probably somewhere you're very interested in, or you wouldn't be crossing the country, right? Plan at least a few days there to really soak it up before heading back home, no matter whether you're flying back home or driving back.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 am

Almost subliminal that.........

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:09 am

Feck. If only he'd come on before I booked that weekend in Sydney!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:35 am

A spam attack fail, still better than that kitchen crap.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 am

sicily4u wrote:Whenever you plan for a long travel trip, You will need some tips to prepare. Wherever you're going, it's probably somewhere you're very interested in, or you wouldn't be crossing the country, right? Plan at least a few days there to really soak it up before heading back home, no matter whether you're flying back home or driving back.
Not true, I often go to places I have absolutely zero interest in, like say, Sicily for example. Just for shits and giggles like. And better still I like to go to really hard to reach places, peak out of the airport, then get straight back on the next flight home.

So I scoff sir, at your travel tips and advice.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 pm

My serious top tip of the day (apologies if this is already common knowledge):

Beware of getting robbed whilst driving through Spain. There's been a spate of tourists being singled out and robbed as they wait for assistance on motorway hard shoulders.

Apparently the thieves identify their prey in petrol stations and then damage the tourist's car tyre when they're not looking. The tourist then re-joins the motorway, followed by the thieves. After the tyre blows or deflates, the tourist has no choice but to pull onto the hard shoulder. The robbers then appear and offer to help. When the tourist gets out of the car, one of the robbers creates a distraction, whilst his accomplice helps himself to whatever takes his fancy from the car.

I saw this warning on TV quite recently, but have first(ish) hand experience of this as it happened to a work colleague of mine recently on a business trip to just outside Barcelona. She was driving a hire car, not a car with GB plates. Her phone, passport, cash & credit cars were all nicked. She then had to endure a few hours alone on the hard shoulder, with no means of calling anyone until someone else came to her aid. It really shook her up.

Afterwards, the police confirmed this as being a common problem in Spain.
Hope is what keeps us going.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Always hopeful wrote:My serious top tip of the day (apologies if this is already common knowledge):

Beware of getting robbed whilst driving through Spain. There's been a spate of tourists being singled out and robbed as they wait for assistance on motorway hard shoulders.

Apparently the thieves identify their prey in petrol stations and then damage the tourist's car tyre when they're not looking. The tourist then re-joins the motorway, followed by the thieves. After the tyre blows or deflates, the tourist has no choice but to pull onto the hard shoulder. The robbers then appear and offer to help. When the tourist gets out of the car, one of the robbers creates a distraction, whilst his accomplice helps himself to whatever takes his fancy from the car.

I saw this warning on TV quite recently, but have first(ish) hand experience of this as it happened to a work colleague of mine recently on a business trip to just outside Barcelona. She was driving a hire car, not a car with GB plates. Her phone, passport, cash & credit cars were all nicked. She then had to endure a few hours alone on the hard shoulder, with no means of calling anyone until someone else came to her aid. It really shook her up.

Afterwards, the police confirmed this as being a common problem in Spain.
Yep - don't leave the car with anything visible and valuable on the seats. And, in Madrid and Barcelona in particular watch out for muggers - including handbag snatchers working from motorbikes (not joking here...). And watch out at cash machines - I know four people who've been mugged in Barca over the years and the crisis there is so huge that crime, inevitably, is on the increase...

This 'warning' comes from a Hispanophile...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 pm

William the White wrote:Yep - don't leave the car with anything visible and valuable on the seats....
So the time I went with work for a week in the US and I parked my car in Manchester long-stay and when I returned to it I couldn't find my keys, only to ... after a bit of mild panic ... locate them, in the boot lock, would not be advisable, do you think ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
William the White wrote:Yep - don't leave the car with anything visible and valuable on the seats....
So the time I went with work for a week in the US and I parked my car in Manchester long-stay and when I returned to it I couldn't find my keys, only to ... after a bit of mild panic ... locate them, in the boot lock, would not be advisable, do you think ?
:D I've done this (only in the ignition) dozens of times with the bike... I couldn't get people to nick it even with an open invitation!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Genaral travel tips (wherever you're going abroad). If you will walk about in Union Jack stuff, expensive watch and camera on show and brand-new trainers etc, you're just asking for it. I always wear Chinos, a vest/t-shirt and a pair of plimsolls when sight-seeing, buy a cheap watch and carry everything in a local supermarket plastic bag. I've never got near being mugged. Might also help to learn the word "thieves" in the local lingo and shout it at the top of your voice if you even suspect it. Might sound paranoid, but the option has to be worse. Works for me.

Oh, and cheap bum-bags really do work for carrying things about, even the locals use them. I just take enough money for the day and never anything else of value.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Genaral travel tips (wherever you're going abroad). If you will walk about in Union Jack stuff, expensive watch and camera on show and brand-new trainers etc, you're just asking for it. I always wear Chinos, a vest/t-shirt and a pair of plimsolls when sight-seeing, buy a cheap watch and carry everything in a local supermarket plastic bag. I've never got near being mugged. Might also help to learn the word "thieves" in the local lingo and shout it at the top of your voice if you even suspect it. Might sound paranoid, but the option has to be worse. Works for me.

Oh, and cheap bum-bags really do work for carrying things about, even the locals use them. I just take enough money for the day and never anything else of value.
Sweet Jesus, all that's missing is the knotted hanky! :P
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Genaral travel tips (wherever you're going abroad). If you will walk about in Union Jack stuff, expensive watch and camera on show and brand-new trainers etc, you're just asking for it. I always wear Chinos, a vest/t-shirt and a pair of plimsolls when sight-seeing, buy a cheap watch and carry everything in a local supermarket plastic bag. I've never got near being mugged. Might also help to learn the word "thieves" in the local lingo and shout it at the top of your voice if you even suspect it. Might sound paranoid, but the option has to be worse. Works for me.

Sweet Jesus, all that's missing is the knotted hanky! :P
:lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Tango posing for his holiday snaps...

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm

On a more serious note,
I was talking to a chap who was a holiday rep in his younger years and he was telling me that the biggest cause of the $**Ts is not water but Rice.
Something they were told at the time, that rice when cooling down is swarming with bacteria.
How many buffet meals do you see in the hotels with rice that has probably been out for 20 to 30 mins and just warm ???
Thinking back after talking to him, I now know why so many people were ill last year when we went to Egypt.
Nice food but not very hot, and loads of rice dishes.
Its official .........

Stick with chips !!!!! :vomit:
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:16 pm

davroduk wrote:On a more serious note,
I was talking to a chap who was a holiday rep in his younger years and he was telling me that the biggest cause of the $**Ts is not water but Rice.
Something they were told at the time, that rice when cooling down is swarming with bacteria.
How many buffet meals do you see in the hotels with rice that has probably been out for 20 to 30 mins and just warm ???
Thinking back after talking to him, I now know why so many people were ill last year when we went to Egypt.
Nice food but not very hot, and loads of rice dishes.
Its official .........

Stick with chips !!!!! :vomit:
Aye f*ck that foreign muck, pie n chips and a proper English roast on a Sunday with real bisto gravy

sicily4u
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by sicily4u » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:10 am

Traveling is a good way to get away from stress and make new start. By following some tips you can avoid any difficulties during travel. Always select your destination only after checking out the political situation of the country. If it is not good then avoid traveling to such place. Make sure that you have got the visa for traveling into the country that you want to tour. When packing clothes always keep in mind the weather and climatic condition of the place you are going to visit. Find the detailed list of tourist places in the country and then plan how to cover most of them.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:59 am

Wise words, sicily4u, wise words.