Top travel tips...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Top travel tips...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:15 am

clapton is god wrote:Wise words, sicily4u, wise words.
They sound like the words of a man that's just returned from a fortnight's half-board in Damascus to me, Clapton.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:07 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
clapton is god wrote:Wise words, sicily4u, wise words.
They sound like the words of a man that's just returned from a fortnight's half-board in Damascus to me, Clapton.
:lol:

next task: *cleaning spat coffee from keyboard*
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Reet - I'm going away in a week but I don't know where.

These holiday websites are doing my head in - too many choices(all of which are shit on trip adviser).

I'll do all inclusive or B&b with a decent number of restaurants/bars around but nothing crazy.

Anyone got any recommendations - preferably a specific hotel that you know of? (Or even a decent travel agent I can actually talk to)

Anywhere short haul out of Manchester with a pool!

Ta. :D
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Reet - I'm going away in a week but I don't know where.

These holiday websites are doing my head in - too many choices(all of which are shit on trip adviser).

I'll do all inclusive or B&b with a decent number of restaurants/bars around but nothing crazy.

Anyone got any recommendations - preferably a specific hotel that you know of? (Or even a decent travel agent I can actually talk to)

Manchester to Calvi in Corsica is on offer at the moment. A week in a self catering for £600 or so pp full price, if you can go inside a week it's about £350pp. The most fantastic place to be, load of restaurants, great beach, pool at the place we looked at. French class with a wilder Corsican style to it.

I'll get you the details on PM if interested.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Reet - I'm going away in a week but I don't know where.

The leisure centre I work at in Sussex has a nice pool. ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
The leisure centre I work at in Sussex has a nice pool. ;)
until you did a huge floater in it to get off work early....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Wandering Willy wrote: Anywhere short haul out of Manchester with a pool!

A few years ago I was sent here, by work, to the Atlantica Aneas in Ayia Napa. The whole shebang is built around an incredible swimming pool. This pic doesn't really do it much justice but should give you an idea.

Get yersen gone. Terrific hotel and a fantastic place that really isn't all about druggie ravers at all. Far from it in fact.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:01 am

never been one for travel agents but i called in here once (coz its local) becasue we were having similar problems with websites. just said, 'look, we need to go on x date for x long, want x, x and x - what have you got?' found some belters perfectly tailored. use em all the time now. http://www.myholiday-online.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:18 am

^ doesn't look like a very popular pool - or poolside!! had there just been a bombay-trout evacuation??

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:21 am

thebish wrote:^ doesn't look like a very popular pool - or poolside!! had there just been a bombay-trout evacuation??
Not sure what happened really, bish. I strolled up in my budgie-smugglers and by the time I'd turned my camera on everyone had vanished. :conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:^ doesn't look like a very popular pool - or poolside!! had there just been a bombay-trout evacuation??
Not sure what happened really, bish. I strolled up in my budgie-smugglers and by the time I'd turned my camera on everyone had vanished. :conf:
:D

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:15 am

Many thanks for the help folks.

Bobo - sent you a pm.

GM - called your bloke and he's working on it.

Bruce - that's a great place - have asked GM's bloke to look into it.

Will report back.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Has anyone visited the French Alps in Summer time? I was just thinking about what to pack clothing wise. Ill be on my bike most of the time so will predominately be taking riding gear to get sweaty and muddy in, but was wondering how pleasant it is at night wandering round resort, or on the chair lifts during the day? Ive been countless times in the Winter for skiing but this will be my first time on the mountain bike. You obviously prepare for the worst when skiing but i was hoping to take as little as possible on this trip?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:24 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Has anyone visited the French Alps in Summer time? I was just thinking about what to pack clothing wise. Ill be on my bike most of the time so will predominately be taking riding gear to get sweaty and muddy in, but was wondering how pleasant it is at night wandering round resort, or on the chair lifts during the day? Ive been countless times in the Winter for skiing but this will be my first time on the mountain bike. You obviously prepare for the worst when skiing but i was hoping to take as little as possible on this trip?
I've got friends who have a chalet in Chamonix which I've been to a couple of times in the summer. In the valleys and even up on some of the Alpine meadows it's pretty similar to an English summer - or it was both times I was out there. If you're going higher, up onto the aretes and what not, you obviously need mountain gear, but for just mountain-biking basic lightweight weatherproofing will get you through the worst on most days.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:Has anyone visited the French Alps in Summer time? I was just thinking about what to pack clothing wise. Ill be on my bike most of the time so will predominately be taking riding gear to get sweaty and muddy in, but was wondering how pleasant it is at night wandering round resort, or on the chair lifts during the day? Ive been countless times in the Winter for skiing but this will be my first time on the mountain bike. You obviously prepare for the worst when skiing but i was hoping to take as little as possible on this trip?
I've got friends who have a chalet in Chamonix which I've been to a couple of times in the summer. In the valleys and even up on some of the Alpine meadows it's pretty similar to an English summer - or it was both times I was out there. If you're going higher, up onto the aretes and what not, you obviously need mountain gear, but for just mountain-biking basic lightweight weatherproofing will get you through the worst on most days.
:lol: I've checked and found my to-do/to-pack list from the last time I went. The relevant clothing section had this:
Clothes on plane (i.e. what I stood up in) + underkeks x7 + socks x7 pair + 1000mile-walking socks x2 pair + Altberg walking boots + innov8 running shoes + technical Ts longsleeve x6 + fleece + Berghaus mountain jacket + woolly hat + thin gloves + big waterproof gloves + Craghopper water resistant trousers + quickdry walking trousers + shirt + extra pair jeans + wierdfish jumper + crampons.

I was over equipped. I didn't use the craghopper trousers, or the running shoes, or the jumper, or the shirt. I could have got away with less underkeks and socks too although if memory serves I managed to get through them all, and I didn't really need two pairs of jeans.
That was a week's trip. Depends how fussy you are and if you're going out to eat in fancy restaurants and need a DJ etc - but the above are all the basics required.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:10 pm

going Wednesday night, 3 full days riding then travelling home Sunday. ill probably wear the same shorts everyday but with clean innards (lycra) and a clean jersey per day. we will no doubt go for beers/nosebag directly from the trails in our gear, and ill travel home in whatever i travelled out in. Ill pack a pair of normal shorts and a couple of fresh t-shirts for dossing round the digs in. I think all i need to do is invest in a decent lightweight windstopper that i can keep in my pack and can chuck on at altitude, on the lifts and on the way home from the brasshouse. Bosh. can always buy anything else i need out there.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:51 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:going Wednesday night, 3 full days riding then travelling home Sunday. ill probably wear the same shorts everyday but with clean innards (lycra) and a clean jersey per day. we will no doubt go for beers/nosebag directly from the trails in our gear, and ill travel home in whatever i travelled out in. Ill pack a pair of normal shorts and a couple of fresh t-shirts for dossing round the digs in. I think all i need to do is invest in a decent lightweight windstopper that i can keep in my pack and can chuck on at altitude, on the lifts and on the way home from the brasshouse. Bosh. can always buy anything else i need out there.
I strongly suggest a fleece as well. Although it can be hot, wet etc, mostly the problem weather is a chilling wind.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Many thanks for the help folks.

Bobo - sent you a pm.

Will report back.
What about my help?! :conf: :conf:

:cry:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:Many thanks for the help folks.

Bobo - sent you a pm.

Will report back.
What about my help?! :conf: :conf:

:cry:
You're a Gooner. You don't count. :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

23loise23
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by 23loise23 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:04 am

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to England in May to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. We will be in England for 10 days. We will likely spend only a couple of days in London. We would like to spend most of our time exploring Scotland and other areas. I know that I would like to visit Scotland, although not sure where to go. We also enjoy walking/hiking and have considered spending some time in the Lake District. I have seen ads for rail/driving packages that seem like a good option for us.

We would really appreciate any advice on helping us plan our trip. We are not committed to anything at this point other than flying in and out of London, so if you only had 10 days in England, how would you spend it?