The Olympics

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

The Olympics

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Now the candle is winging it's way round GB I thought it might be time to start a thread for the Cockynee games. (After all we all had to stump up for it)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Olympics

Post by thebish » Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Hoboh wrote:Now the candle is winging it's way round GB I thought it might be time to start a thread for the Cockynee games. (After all we all had to stump up for it)
here's a question...

why the feck does everyone carrying the torch have a separate torch? could they not just make one torch that would be passed in relay from runner to runner???

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed May 23, 2012 6:29 pm

We're finishing work early on the 31st, so we can see it pass through.....I'm just going to feck off home....not overly arsed about it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 23, 2012 6:32 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:We're finishing work early on the 31st, so we can see it pass through.....I'm just going to feck off home....not overly arsed about it.

I'm leaving london on 3rd July and moving to devon just to get away from it!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:We're finishing work early on the 31st, so we can see it pass through.....I'm just going to feck off home....not overly arsed about it.
What a load of bollocks. Work finishing early. For fecks sake.

I'm sure there are people, but I've yet to meet anyone who even remotely cares about the Olympics.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed May 23, 2012 6:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm sure there are people, but I've yet to meet anyone who even remotely cares about the Olympics.
Hey, I'm not complaining.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Hope they all do well, but I'm sticking an early cheer in for little Jenny Meadows from Wigan. Full of guts and always gives 100% effort. Come on Jen. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed May 23, 2012 7:20 pm

I'll be cheering on the one-eyed (trouser snakes?) Wenlock and Mandeville as they were born in Bolton apparently.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well I do. I can't wait. But I don't think we have met.

I love the Olympics. Much better than the World Cup and the European Championships.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Wed May 23, 2012 9:52 pm

The Olympic torch passes the road just past my gaff at half 5 on Thursday, fecking brilliant just in time as I'm getting home from work.

The Olympics can feck off. I still can't believe squash doesn't get in even though there's people on courts in every leisure centre around the country, never mind the 100's of private squash clubs as well... but things like sailing and shooting get in? Who the feck does that?

Also, football in the Olympics is a load of bollocks, no one actually gives a toss about it. An Olympic gold medal should be a sportsman's greatest achievement yet it means nowt to most footballers.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 pm

malcd1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well I do. I can't wait. But I don't think we have met.

I love the Olympics. Much better than the World Cup and the European Championships.

:vomit:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Hoboh wrote:Now the candle is winging it's way round GB I thought it might be time to start a thread for the Cockynee games. (After all we all had to stump up for it)

As much as you think you're hard done to we in London have had to pay more. 2/3 of the cost has come from Central government whilst a further 10% has come from London Boroughs.

I can't even get a ticket to set foot on the park let alone get into an event!

I know I won't get sympathy and, indeed I don't want it, but don't think just because we live in London that we are afforded any special privileges.

We were promised that every London schoolchild would get a free ticket to the Olympics. To the best of my knowledge this hasn't happened. Certainly none of the two schools I have a personal involvement with have.

Where's the legacy?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 23, 2012 10:18 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

As much as you think you're hard done to we in London have had to pay more. 2/3 of the cost has come from Central government whilst a further 10% has come from London Boroughs.

I can't even get a ticket to set foot on the park let alone get into an event!

I know I won't get sympathy and, indeed I don't want it, but don't think just because we live in London that we are afforded any special privileges.

We were promised that every London schoolchild would get a free ticket to the Olympics. To the best of my knowledge this hasn't happened. Certainly none of the two schools I have a personal involvement with have.

Where's the legacy?
quite... Hoboh in talks-through-his-arse shocker!! we had to pay extra council tax to fund these bastard games - Londoners might as well not bother trying to travel to work or go anywhere while they are on as we have all been told to stay at home... i suspect londoners will be paying for them for years to come...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 23, 2012 10:21 pm

personally i don't give a flying toss about the olympics and i won;t be watching it..

BUT

one thing that does piss me off is that people who have dedicated their lives - week-in-week-out on freezing cold nights - come rain or shine - in a voluntary capacity to coach kids athletics through athletics clubs - and attended management meetings and fund-raining meetings - all in a voluntary capacity - people like GG - have not been given fecking red-carpet treatment and prime seats for the best events for every day they want...

that pisses me off.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 23, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm looking forward to the Olympics but no interest in the Paralympics and none whatsoever in some random folk carrying a stick.

It surprises me that squash aint in it. Didn't know that - particularly when those well known amateur pastimes tennis & football are in it
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed May 23, 2012 11:56 pm

I know I'll be interested in it - in an entirely unknowledgeable way - once it starts - from opening to closing ceremonies and a lot of points between.

I think I might try to catch the passing of the torch through Bolton... it's a unique ritual - though here given a non-historic spin - and I'm interested in the show business of ritual, even the ones taking place in cathedrals...

I'll even get excited at close finishes and heartbreaking endeavours and Britain doing well to get a bronze against the odds...

And am even more cheered now that I know that gary and thebish are paying for my pleasure... TYVM boys... :D :D :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 am

William the White wrote:I know I'll be interested in it - in an entirely unknowledgeable way - once it starts - from opening to closing ceremonies and a lot of points between.

I think I might try to catch the passing of the torch through Bolton... it's a unique ritual - though here given a non-historic spin - and I'm interested in the show business of ritual, even the ones taking place in cathedrals...

I'll even get excited at close finishes and heartbreaking endeavours and Britain doing well to get a bronze against the odds...

And am even more cheered now that I know that gary and thebish are paying for my pleasure... TYVM boys... :D :D :D
Oh - just to say to Harry - those paralympics fill me with a kind of awe - I'm overwhelmed at what they do against all the odds... fantastic, fantastic, fantastic...

I don't follow any athletics with any interest beyond world records and who might be taking drugs this month... But this is the Olympics and I'm happy to stir from hibernation...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 am

Would be looking forward to it but the opening ceremony is the day I start work so for a long time I've associated all mentions of the Olympic countdown with a little sick feeling. Also, the flame is going past my house. Would be pretty cool to see it, but it's going past at 6am. On a Saturday.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu May 24, 2012 9:01 am

I was working in London last year when everyone was faffing over getting tickets for stuff. When I said I hadn't even applied for any they were all shocked and appauled! 'Once in a Lifetime' and all that stuff. Not really at all bothered by it. Will be out of the country for most of it anyway.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 24, 2012 9:59 am

William the White wrote:I know I'll be interested in it - in an entirely unknowledgeable way - once it starts - from opening to closing ceremonies and a lot of points between.

Within it there are probably many stories of individuals that are worth telling... but, for me, the whole overblown spectacle is tainted and poisoned by the huge corporate sponsorship jolly that it ACTUALLY is.... it is nowhere near what people are fond of calling "the olympic ideal".