Edinburgh Festival 2012. Anyone going?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Edinburgh Festival 2012. Anyone going?

Post by coffeymagic » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:58 pm

You may/may not know (indeed given some of my posts on here you may be absolutely stunned to find out) that as a bit of a hobby I do a bit of yer very own stand up comedy.

I'm doing a few lunchtime (12-1pm) spots during this year's Edinburgh Festival at The Beehive.

It's a lovely pub in (on?) The Grassmarket that does a great pint and great food so there's a reason to pop in on its own.

I hope to add more gigs as the Festival gets closer but for now my dates are.

11th, 14th, 18th (Burnley a) and 22nd of August

I'd love to see you up there so much that if you tell me you're coming I'll get you in for free.

Howzat?

for more info http://www.scottishcomedyfestival.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Tony Coffey - The one to watch' Manchester City Life (about 20 years ago) and 'Un-googleable' The Glasgow Evening Times.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Edinburgh Festival 2012. Anyone going?

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:01 pm

A mate of mine is a stand up comedian. He's in Montreux a t the moment. I don't think he's ding Edinburgh this year. Good luck. I hear it can be expensive.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Good luck. I hear it can be expensive.
Serpently is, even if you go to only a fraction of the shows. The brochure for the Fringe alone is 350 pages long, packed with oodles of comedians and plays you've never heard of.

Mind you, the offer is a free ticket...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Serpently is, even if you go to only a fraction of the shows. The brochure for the Fringe alone is 350 pages long, packed with oodles of comedians and plays you've never heard of.

I meant for the artists LGM. My friend Hal has mentioned before that for some (most) artists it actually costs them money putting on a show. Invitations to the right people to get a review, free tickets, schmoozing at after show parties etc.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:

I meant for the artists LGM. My friend Hal has mentioned before that for some (most) artists it actually costs them money putting on a show. Invitations to the right people to get a review, free tickets, schmoozing at after show parties etc.
Ah, gotcha.

Yep, I think all but well known stars tend lose quite a lot of money. The Fringe venues charge several thousand for three weeks the tiniest, sweatiest windowless box. You've got to pay a large wedge to get your advertising in the guide, then there's the flyers, accomodation etc. I've been told you need to sell about 80% of tickets to break even. I've been to shows with less than 10 people in the audience, and often they can be Fringe staff who've got in for free.

Is your pal Hal Cruttenden? If so, he's on for the full three weeks.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Yes it is Hal Cruttenden. He must be doing Canada then Edinburgh, then. I know he said he was away for 5 weeks. If you get the chance, go and see him. He's a very funny man, as he'll tell you himself.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Yes it is Hal Cruttenden. He must be doing Canada then Edinburgh, then. I know he said he was away for 5 weeks. If you get the chance, go and see him. He's a very funny man, as he'll tell you himself.
He was on my short list but he never made it to the final cut as my pal who comes up every year wasn't that keen. More fool him. Anyway, I might hang around the Half-Price Ticket Hut one evening and see if he's heavily discounted.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Yes it is Hal Cruttenden. He must be doing Canada then Edinburgh, then. I know he said he was away for 5 weeks. If you get the chance, go and see him. He's a very funny man, as he'll tell you himself.
He was on my short list but he never made it to the final cut as my pal who comes up every year wasn't that keen. More fool him. Anyway, I might hang around the Half-Price Ticket Hut one evening and see if he's heavily discounted.
pm me your details and I'll see if I can't swing something for you.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Every year I think how good it would be to go to the Edinburgh festival, and I've never made it yet. One day..

Good luck Coffeymagic and lots of respect. Must take some real balls to do that
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:
Ta for the offer. I think I really ought to dip my hand in my pocket though, especially as he's on next week for only a fiver.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:
Ta for the offer. I think I really ought to dip my hand in my pocket though, especially as he's on next week for only a fiver.

Yes, but if you tell me your name and post me your 'photo I could get him to make you the focus of his show. :twisted:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Good luck Coffeymagic and lots of respect. Must take some real balls to do that
Oops, mini-hijack over. Best of luck, coffeymagic! I may just come and snigger at you on one of those days.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:20 pm

I always try to get a couple of days in.

For a tip for punters, book into the University Halls for accommodation, you can get a double room, b&b for about £50pn. It's about a mile to the centre.

Plenty of availability, decent quality & cheaper than any hotel you'll find.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:48 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Every year I think how good it would be to go to the Edinburgh festival, and I've never made it yet. One day..

Good luck Coffeymagic and lots of respect. Must take some real balls to do that
Me too. Ages ago I won a Fringe First for a play at the Traverse and couldn't afford to go up and collect it. The stage manager did and brought it back for me...

One year I'll go...

Best, Coffeymagic...

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 pm

William the White wrote:Ages ago I won a Fringe First for a play at the Traverse and couldn't afford to go up and collect it.
Which Trav was that? The one in the new purpose built place, or the one before, or dare I ask, the original?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:07 am

Little Green Man wrote:
William the White wrote:Ages ago I won a Fringe First for a play at the Traverse and couldn't afford to go up and collect it.
Which Trav was that? The one in the new purpose built place, or the one before, or dare I ask, the original?
You know, I never went... But the year was, I think, 1986... Not absolutely certain of that... The play was called Bodycount, the producing company was Paines Plough, the director was Pip Broughton... You could probably find out, and let me know! What's the current one like?

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 am

Sod Hal Cuttenden and Bodycount! This is about meeeeEEEeee.

You can see how hard it is to plug your show when there's so much going on.

It's a real meat market up there and yes there are some real dives but luckily the Beehive has been around for years and the club has just been refurbished.

There some real dirge on for the full duration that's why I'm asking you to shun everything else you hear about in favour of me.

I will let you know as other dates get added (hopefully).

On the subject of dirge last year I was cajoled into going to see a play by a, what can only be described as a 'loose acquaintance'.

There were four of us and it was awful. The only saving grace were the knockers on the lead actress which were worth two stars on their own.

To give you an idea the play ended with her 'imagining' snow falling.

That sort of thing.

Afterwards the best I could say was 'You must be very proud'.

I made my excuses and left.

Think 'Poochie'.

Back on topic. My show is funny and not in a 'oh I get that joke' funny I mean ACTUALLY funny with funny stories and what not.

And no one liners or 'puns'.

I'd kill people who tell puns.

Puns aren't fun!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am

Sorry, good luck with the show. If you see any fantastic knockers would you mind photographing them and posting them on here. Ta.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:18 pm

William the White wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:
You know, I never went... But the year was, I think, 1986... Not absolutely certain of that... The play was called Bodycount, the producing company was Paines Plough, the director was Pip Broughton... You could probably find out, and let me know! What's the current one like?
It will have been the middle one, by the Grassmarket. It's now flats. I really like the new place. It's got quite an industrial feel to it but they can have some good stuff there especially during the festival. Saw Trainspotting done as a play there many years ago when they arranged the seating in the old traverse style. It was tremendous.

Paines Plough are back again this year. They'll not be as good as coffeymagic though, obviously.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:34 pm

I first saw Graham Norton in Edinburgh, back when he was actually a comedian with his own show. He did something about Karen Carpenter. The 3 other people who were left at the end of it (who weren't yanks and hadn't walked out in disgust because they'd wrongly assumed it was a Karen Carpenter tribute) were all related to me.

So, the moral is, Graham Norton owes me his livelihood. Ungrateful bastard.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.