General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Now up to £362 per month, and can see line of sight to another £100 a month on home insurance....Maybe only water to go after that"....

In response to "there's a cancellation fee" I've been delighted to say I've handed over my Credit Card details more than once with a cheery - stick it up your ass.
£100 a month on home insurance Christ! Do you live in a palace or 2 feet away from a river? Seems like the fifty quid or so I've saved per month must mean I either a tight wad or wise in the first instance :wink:

Be careful of the utilities lowering your monthly premiums Bruce, one large bill can see you in debit, I'm used to paying the out goings on gas and electric, leave um where they are and get the money back at the end of the year. Okay no interest but what little the banks give ain't worth a fart anyway.
Think I'm done for now...£453 a month off what I was paying...maybe I should look more carefully in future. :-)
Ahhh the luxury of never having to ask "how much?" eh worthy :mrgreen:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Be careful of the utilities lowering your monthly premiums Bruce, one large bill can see you in debit.
Sound enough advice chief, but I am trying to get into habits such as changing timers to be more in tune with when it's not actually light, and not leaving the central heating to run all week at 20 deg C when I'm 1,000 miles away from the place. :oops:
Stick a note on the back of the door.

Heating fool!

You will soon adapt :wink:

BTW never turn it fully off at this time of year, when not in or at night we turn ours down to about 8 degrees.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:31 am

Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Now up to £362 per month, and can see line of sight to another £100 a month on home insurance....Maybe only water to go after that"....

In response to "there's a cancellation fee" I've been delighted to say I've handed over my Credit Card details more than once with a cheery - stick it up your ass.
£100 a month on home insurance Christ! Do you live in a palace or 2 feet away from a river? Seems like the fifty quid or so I've saved per month must mean I either a tight wad or wise in the first instance :wink:

Be careful of the utilities lowering your monthly premiums Bruce, one large bill can see you in debit, I'm used to paying the out goings on gas and electric, leave um where they are and get the money back at the end of the year. Okay no interest but what little the banks give ain't worth a fart anyway.
Think I'm done for now...£453 a month off what I was paying...maybe I should look more carefully in future. :-)
Ahhh the luxury of never having to ask "how much?" eh worthy :mrgreen:
I wish...we'd been in the house about 6 years when we had the electrics rewired in the kitchen...

"What's that one?" I asked..."It's always been on"

"That's yer immersion heater'...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:30 am

Bruce - just get on of them fancy thermostats that you can control from anywhere and work itself according to when you're home etc.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:59 am

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... oncharenko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why can they not just jail these yobs, they have no intention of obeying the law.
Another squatter, Daniel, said: “The security guards got in through the basement. We will be taking another building soon.”
I'm sure the police have better things to do.
The security guards said the eviction was carried out peacefully. However, one of the squatters, Jessica, 23, said she had been roughly handled by a female security guard while she was standing on the balcony.
Roughly, feckin' roughly! You should have got CS gas, pepper spray, stun grenades and batons, bare minimum, failing that, live ammo.

And this beggars belief, some prick you pay a tv licence for
The squat has attracted national attention. The BBC arts editor, Will Gompertz, said their actions could be considered an artistic act.
Nice pictures emerging of the state the squatters vandals left the place in despite being good folk concerned for the homeless and merely looking after the property

Anal by name anal by nature, total waste of oxygen these people, swap them for Syrian refugees.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:26 pm

All looks peaceful in the video pic. I'm a bit unsure aout that fire extinguisher though. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 am

Now this is why I read the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... erritories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:02 am

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.c ... s/rankings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ouch! and we thought 3rd in the league table was bad.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Hoboh wrote:http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.c ... s/rankings

Ouch! and we thought 3rd in the league table was bad.
Could have been worse I suppose.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:35 am

A question, chaps and chapesses and their colleagues, friends and family.

My wife has booked a five night trip to Singapore in June of this year. She and her friend with whom she will travel have been doing a little investigating and making enquiries of their travel agent.

Have any of you or your family or friends been there? If so, would you be able to recommend any place as a must-visit location? She would be appreciative of any comments you might have.

Her age, appearance, measurements and other personal details will not be forthcoming. Any lewd or lascivious comment will not be passed on to her. Your advice will not be considered to be binding in any way manner or form including, but not restricted to, legal action, personal retribution or just plain cyberworld vituperation.

That's 'cos we're really nice people. ;)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 am

Dujon wrote:A question, chaps and chapesses and their colleagues, friends and family.

My wife has booked a five night trip to Singapore in June of this year. She and her friend with whom she will travel have been doing a little investigating and making enquiries of their travel agent.

Have any of you or your family or friends been there? If so, would you be able to recommend any place as a must-visit location? She would be appreciative of any comments you might have.

Her age, appearance, measurements and other personal details will not be forthcoming. Any lewd or lascivious comment will not be passed on to her. Your advice will not be considered to be binding in any way manner or form including, but not restricted to, legal action, personal retribution or just plain cyberworld vituperation.

That's 'cos we're really nice people. ;)
Not been, but I reckon any trip needs to include a visit to Raffles, even if only for afternoon tea or beverages :D I've got my eye on the Eastern and Oriental Express for a future trip.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:07 am

Used to go years ago fairly regularly with Work. From fading memories I would suggest:

- Raffles Hotel - go to the bar upstairs and get a Singapore Sling. Is probably about £20 now, but the kind of touristy thing everyone shoudl do;
- Night Safari - like a zoo but you go at night and all the animals look to be in "natural" habitats and the fences and stuff are hidden so it feels more "authentic"
- grab food at the hawker stands in Clarke and Boat quay - far better and cheaper than the fancy restaurants
- walk round china town and little India
- Sentosa Island - there's a beach there and a bit of a zoo thing and butterfly farm
- Orchard Road for shopping
- for a bit of history, I think you can visit the old prison at Changi (never been though)
- Botanic gardens are nice for a walk away from the hustle and bustle and there's a massive orchid farm there I think

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:35 am

The fourth appointment this morning since breaking my finger back in December. I do enjoy how the nursing staff change their actions as time goes on. From at the start of physio being 'oh it's a bad one that, do your exercises but take it slowly' to now one of 'Look it's fecked pal, get the bastard moving'. (Or words to that effect). Poor digit was pulled to and from all morning! (matron)

Not a complaint of course, and the staff have been great, but just find it amusing how the further along you get it doesn't matter too much if it hurts anymore :)

Also dipped my hand in hot wax this morning, which is rather pleasant tbh.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:46 am

KeyserSoze wrote:The fourth appointment this morning since breaking my finger back in December. I do enjoy how the nursing staff change their actions as time goes on. From at the start of physio being 'oh it's a bad one that, do your exercises but take it slowly' to now one of 'Look it's fecked pal, get the bastard moving'. (Or words to that effect). Poor digit was pulled to and from all morning! (matron)

Not a complaint of course, and the staff have been great, but just find it amusing how the further along you get it doesn't matter too much if it hurts anymore :)

You get used to pain, eventually. :wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:12 am

Hoboh wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:The fourth appointment this morning since breaking my finger back in December. I do enjoy how the nursing staff change their actions as time goes on. From at the start of physio being 'oh it's a bad one that, do your exercises but take it slowly' to now one of 'Look it's fecked pal, get the bastard moving'. (Or words to that effect). Poor digit was pulled to and from all morning! (matron)

You get used to pain, eventually. :wink:
Especially the ones in the neck.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 am

dave the minion wrote:Used to go years ago fairly regularly with Work. From fading memories I would suggest:

- Raffles Hotel - go to the bar upstairs and get a Singapore Sling. Is probably about £20 now, but the kind of touristy thing everyone shoudl do;
- Night Safari - like a zoo but you go at night and all the animals look to be in "natural" habitats and the fences and stuff are hidden so it feels more "authentic"
- grab food at the hawker stands in Clarke and Boat quay - far better and cheaper than the fancy restaurants
- Sentosa Island - there's a beach there and a bit of a zoo thing and butterfly farm
- for a bit of history, I think you can visit the old prison at Changi (never been though)
- Botanic gardens are nice for a walk away from the hustle and bustle and there's a massive orchid farm there I think
I went there several years ago but would echo a lot of that, particularly the night safari. I'd normally avoid zoos like the plague but the one in Singapore is brilliant
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:23 pm

dave the minion wrote:Used to go years ago fairly regularly with Work. From fading memories I would suggest:

Raffles is £20 for half a beer, god knows how much a Singapore Sling will cost!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:25 pm

Go over to the port and get on some of the container ships. Singapore, is the biggest transshipment port in the world and after Hong Kong and Singapore, I think it swallows and spits more tonnage than any other port bar Shanghai and Hong Kong
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:48 pm

boltonboris wrote:Go over to the port and get on some of the container ships. Singapore, is the biggest transshipment port in the world and after Hong Kong and Singapore, I think it swallows and spits more tonnage than any other port bar Shanghai and Hong Kong
Hmmm...gin or big noisy port. Tough one that :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

I went there several years ago but would echo a lot of that, particularly the night safari. I'd normally avoid zoos like the plague but the one in Singapore is brilliant
Girlf did six months there last year and I went out to visit. Would echo lots of what has been said.

Night Safari is ace. Involves a fair bit of walking (I don't know how old these two fair dames are) to see everything, but there is a fantastic bit where you are taken on a long "train" around the park. They should do this no matter what as you see things you can't see on foot. 100% the same as HG, don't usually care for zoos but this is ace.

I didn't go to Raffles as the girlf had been with her family the previous week and hated it, overpriced, not v nice, and it's had a bog standard make-over which means doesn't even feel "original" apparently. What they raved much more about was the bar on top of the Marina Bay Sands. Incredible views.

Re: the botanical gardens, I didn't go as we went instead to the Gardens by the Bay which are sort of like the Eden Project over here - all sorts of flowers and plants inside domes, one has a massive waterfall. Good fun, but busy at peak times. They are v close to Marina Bay Sands too so you could combine with the above. There's also a shopping centre there which is worth a look as it's the richest place I've ever seen. Like Bond Street turned up to 11. Ridiculous.

I would also (again dependent on mobility) recommend a walk in MacRitchie Park. It's difficult and hilly but there are monkeys knocking about which is cool.

It's a hard place to "do" stuff though, because the humidity is ridiculous. Think we went to MacRitchie at 8am and it was still hard work.

I found it a bit creepy, like some sort of dsytopian futuristic film that starts in an idyllic cityscape where something is wrong but you can't quite pin down what. Enjoyable for a few days mind.

The #1 attraction is the food. It's incredible, and absolutely anything you can think of. Hawker centres are incredbile (though some of the more "authentic" ones have some *weird* shit you can buy. I developed a massive addiction to both Kopi (a "Singlish" corruption of coffee that is iced coffee with condensed milk, nicer than it sounds. There are also loads of brilliant juice bars for peanuts where they freshly make it for you. Orange-pinapple my fav. I would particularly recommend Din Tai Fung as a treat to eat. It's a chain, but high class and the food (dim sum) is amazing. If you like curry little India is fab too. But try to eat out as much as you can because the quality is great, the price is decent and the range is incredible. No-one cooks at home there as eating out is so good. Booze is dear as f*ck mind.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.