General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:54 am

Apparently, according to an analysis of Office of National Statistics data one third of people in the UK underestimate how many calories they are eating.

No doubt there are folk out there that could justify public funds being spent collecting imagining such data but, really!

Without collecting any data I'd imagine the vast majority of folk in the UK don't give a thought as to how many calories they're eating.

Me for one.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:54 am
Apparently, according to an analysis of Office of National Statistics data one third of people in the UK underestimate how many calories they are eating.

No doubt there are folk out there that could justify public funds being spent collecting imagining such data but, really!

Without collecting any data I'd imagine the vast majority of folk in the UK don't give a thought as to how many calories they're eating.

Me for one.
I understand what you are saying, specifically regarding the number of calories... I, too, have no idea.
But, and a significant but, I do believe the overall impact of the analysis is true.
Let me put it into non-pc terms, and then you can run your statement by that... Ready, here goes:
Most fat bastards in this country lie to themselves about how much shit they stuff down their fxcking throats!

I'm personally not averse for public funding to go into that research nor for the message that results from it to be widely broadcast. Having never met you in in person, I have no idea whether you are a fat bastard in denial, but whatever...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:02 pm
Enoch wrote:

Me for one.
I understand what you are saying, specifically regarding the number of calories... I, too, have no idea.
But, and a significant but, I do believe the overall impact of the analysis is true.
Let me put it into non-pc terms, and then you can run your statement by that... Ready, here goes:
Most fat bastards in this country lie to themselves about how much shit they stuff down their fxcking throats!

I'm personally not averse for public funding to go into that research nor for the message that results from it to be widely broadcast. Having never met you in in person, I have no idea whether you are a fat bastard in denial, but whatever...
I don't doubt the general thrust of the analysis; I do however doubt that many fat bastards give it much thought and fewer still take heed of any advice proffered.

As to funding such research, I wonder how much research it takes to conclude that as a nation we are following the Yankee model and steadily becoming a bunch of burger munching, supersized, blobs. I think deep down we all instinctively know that.

For information and just between us two, I'm a life long svelte type that has, as the years pass, developed a comfortable, non food related and not excessive, paunch.

:drink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:30 pm

I don't doubt the general thrust of the analysis; I do however doubt that many fat bastards give it much thought and fewer still take heed of any advice proffered.
Anyone doubting the veracity of your statement should take a stroll around Bolton and Farnworth town centres during daylight hours any day of the week. The sad part of it is the amount of young involved (men and persons, but mainly persons) who can't see how much they're shortening their lives by. Metabolism can't take the blame for sheer laziness and greed. Two hands weren't really intended to be one for a burger and one for a mobile phone. Try telling them though
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Enoch wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:02 pm
Enoch wrote:

Me for one.

As to funding such research, I wonder how much research it takes to conclude that as a nation we are following the Yankee model and steadily becoming a bunch of burger munching, supersized, blobs. I think deep down we all instinctively know that.

For information and just between us two, I'm a life long svelte type that has, as the years pass, developed a comfortable, non food related and not excessive, paunch.

:drink:
Excellent... :pissed:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm
Enoch wrote:

Anyone doubting the veracity of your statement should take a stroll around Bolton and Farnworth town centres during daylight hours any day of the week. The sad part of it is the amount of young involved (men and persons, but mainly persons) who can't see how much they're shortening their lives by. Metabolism can't take the blame for sheer laziness and greed. Two hands weren't really intended to be one for a burger and one for a mobile phone. Try telling them though
Don't get me wrong, I'm not some crusader that thinks folk need saving from themselves; there are plenty of others with that particular brief. My point was about public funds being spent in order to state the bleedin' obvious.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:24 am

There is a general lack of knowledge though - people think that things like juice are good for them. Which whilst to a certain extent it is, the point is it is full of sugar that will turn to fat if not burned off. There is more vitamins in juice that say Coke - absolutely - but the sugar content is still high.

People do not understand quite a lot about calorie/fat/sugar/salt content in foods. Especially processed foods. Sandwiches are particularly bad - add mayo and often you are consuming close to your recommended saturated fat allowance for the day.

However, the major problem in my view is not diet, but our increasingly sedantry lifestyles. People are not walking the way they used to or working in jobs that require phyiscal exertion in the way they used to.

When I started work, nobody "went to the gym" few "exercised" as a hobby or whatever a few like me played squash or tennis or 5 a side but they did so for social reasons. But most of us walked or cycled to work or took long walks in our lunch breaks or both. And then walked home. Few were overweight.

Now in my office - people arrive by car or bus. They work through their lunch breaks - they eat quick and convenient food, they get the bus or drive home - usually later than they'd like - cook something quick and easy, crash out and rinse and repeat. I fully think we need to take individual responsibility. But we also have to realise some of this is a cultural and social thing. The need to "exercise" has become something additional to people's lives. And that is through the way we are as a society, the way we work etc.....I no longer walk to work or cycle in - I swim 5 days a week. But I'm lucky. I'm at the point where I don't care and just abandon my office for an hour to swim or can do it after work. Not everyone I work with has the same luxury because the expectation is different. They can't be home late because they have young kids, their boss doesn't look fondly on them leaving their desks for a swim at lunch etc.....so they have to find their own time and ultimately its a lot more effort for them than it ever was for me. At least that is how I see it.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:24 am
There is a general lack of knowledge though - people think that things like juice are good for them. Which whilst to a certain extent it is, the point is it is full of sugar that will turn to fat if not burned off. There is more vitamins in juice that say Coke - absolutely - but the sugar content is still high.

People do not understand quite a lot about calorie/fat/sugar/salt content in foods. Especially processed foods. Sandwiches are particularly bad - add mayo and often you are consuming close to your recommended saturated fat allowance for the day.

However, the major problem in my view is not diet, but our increasingly sedantry lifestyles. People are not walking the way they used to or working in jobs that require phyiscal exertion in the way they used to.

When I started work, nobody "went to the gym" few "exercised" as a hobby or whatever a few like me played squash or tennis or 5 a side but they did so for social reasons. But most of us walked or cycled to work or took long walks in our lunch breaks or both. And then walked home. Few were overweight.

Now in my office - people arrive by car or bus. They work through their lunch breaks - they eat quick and convenient food, they get the bus or drive home - usually later than they'd like - cook something quick and easy, crash out and rinse and repeat. I fully think we need to take individual responsibility. But we also have to realise some of this is a cultural and social thing. The need to "exercise" has become something additional to people's lives. And that is through the way we are as a society, the way we work etc.....I no longer walk to work or cycle in - I swim 5 days a week. But I'm lucky. I'm at the point where I don't care and just abandon my office for an hour to swim or can do it after work. Not everyone I work with has the same luxury because the expectation is different. They can't be home late because they have young kids, their boss doesn't look fondly on them leaving their desks for a swim at lunch etc.....so they have to find their own time and ultimately its a lot more effort for them than it ever was for me. At least that is how I see it.
Not much to disagree with there mate, again!

I do think government should really up the anti on the way food is treated by manufacturers, this processing business is well out of hand and when you get Vanilla ice cream that has not one jot of vanilla in it, things are going too far.
Parents need to accept responsibility for their own and their kids health, far too easy to leave them occupied with Xbox, social media, etc.
In a nutshell, the modern world is creating people who just have no idea about physical work nor the consequences of the lack of.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:01 am

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I do think government should really up the anti on the way food is treated by manufacturers, this processing business is well out of hand and when you get Vanilla ice cream that has not one jot of vanilla in it, things are going too far.
Parents need to accept responsibility for their own and their kids health, far too easy to leave them occupied with Xbox, social media, etc.
In a nutshell, the modern world is creating people who just have no idea about physical work nor the consequences of the lack of.
I don't generally correct English usage as it is a poor internet practice (it always comes back to bite you anyway). However, sometimes I'm not entirely clear what something means. Does Hoboh mean "up the ante"[sic] in the poker sense - i.e. engage in greater activity - or does he mean increase the opposition (i.e. anti) to what manufacturers are doing. On reflection they may be the same thing, but my reflections are coloured by wine and scotch. Still, have a good weekend all.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:35 am

:oops:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:01 am
Hoboh wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't generally correct English usage as it is a poor internet practice (it always comes back to bite you anyway). However, sometimes I'm not entirely clear what something means. Does Hoboh mean "up the ante"[sic] in the poker sense - i.e. engage in greater activity - or does he mean increase the opposition (i.e. anti) to what manufacturers are doing. On reflection they may be the same thing, but my reflections are coloured by wine and scotch. Still, have a good weekend all.
Got me! I really should watch text posted via the phone.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Man dies after a fall from a town centre Christmas tree in Fife.
So stop climbing Christmas trees, all you morons out there... There are better ways to A) die, and B) be a complete prick.

[my thoughts are obviously with the poor bastards who had to clear up his carcass]
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:51 am

The UK must be viewed as a bloody joke to the rest of the world.
First we have a pair of bellends flying drones around a major airport, an airport with bugger all protection against them despite it emerging this is the third time they'd had this sort of problem albeit not on this scale.
Secondly four migrants on a cargo ship arm themselves with iron bars and attempt to force the captain to carry out dangerous manoeuvres by getting closer to shore so they could swim to the UK. All the dimwit coppers could say is it wasn't piracy or such and they would investigate!
At least someone finally saw sense and put special forces on board to take control.
We have a bunch of politicians who only care about what mischief they can cause to get their own bloody way and keep their noses in the trough by weakening any negotiations with the EU.
Hell some wonder why one day revolution will happen not only in France but here.
Bloody joke the UK made so by liberalism PC and bloody leeches from the legal profession, prostitution is a profession as well, more acceptable than the leeches!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:32 am

Ruddy 'eck, he's at it again.

Hoboh, I hope you feel better after yesterday's loss given that all doom and gloom seems to excite you.

Now, I'm speaking for myself and not for anyone else on this forum, but can you keep, please, your political outbursts, brexiteering, terrorising, migrating (or migraines) to the sections of the forum designed for such warfare?

Your comment on the dreadful matter of 'drones' over airfields is well taken - but the drift into piracy/the EU/corrupt politicians and historical French revolutions/political correctness/liberal thinking and the poor innocent leeches along with the other unfortunates mentioned in your last paragraph are somewhat off-subject and incomprehensible to me. :pissed:

MC and a HNY

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:49 am

Dujon wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:32 am
Ruddy 'eck, he's at it again.

Hoboh, I hope you feel better after yesterday's loss given that all doom and gloom seems to excite you.

Now, I'm speaking for myself and not for anyone else on this forum, but can you keep, please, your political outbursts, brexiteering, terrorising, migrating (or migraines) to the sections of the forum designed for such warfare?

Your comment on the dreadful matter of 'drones' over airfields is well taken - but the drift into piracy/the EU/corrupt politicians and historical French revolutions/political correctness/liberal thinking and the poor innocent leeches along with the other unfortunates mentioned in your last paragraph are somewhat off-subject and incomprehensible to me. :pissed:

MC and a HNY
Sorry i really should have stuck that in the angry thread.

For your information doom and gloom does not excite me, it absolutely riles me, far too many folk take things for granted in this day and age, wail when things go wrong wondering how it came about. then wait for others to wipe their backsides.

As far as BWFC goes, Ken and Parky have carried on the damage started by Megson's appointment years ago to the extent of virtually killing any interest of the club.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:49 am

We're headquartered out of Rotterdam and in the Netherlands, there is some sort of Social Food pre-tax allowance thingy available to businesses and employees - Basically, they take money out of your salary (if you agree to it) which increases your personal allowance, so the €40 or so per month, works out more like €23 with your tax saving

anyhow, the company gets a deliver of fresh food per day. Fruits, low salt/sugar bread, vegetables and meat. They all sit together in the kitchen with a massive platter of food and help themselves. Hardly any of them are overweight and certainly, none of them are obese. The cultural differences around eating at work in comparison to us, is absolutely huge and more needs to be done by employers to encourage the health of their employees. For the sake of 20 mins per day, you can get an extra 5-6 years good work out of somebody
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:52 am

Over here, we leg it to a sandwich shop, or fast food place, wolf it down and get back to our desks - It's not healthy at all

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:01 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:52 am
Over here, we leg it to a sandwich shop, or fast food place, wolf it down and get back to our desks - It's not healthy at all
That's very stereotypically bullshit of you. My ex-employer trucked in free (as in you didn't pay for it) fruit and veg at the beginning of each week. There was, also, no time pressure over lunch time. Plus, work schedules in the afternoon were encouraged around 'breakout spaces' [yes, I know *rolls eyes*] wherein the consumption of group cooked food was encouraged as part of the process.
And no, we weren't based in Amsterdam, but Derby, thank you very much...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Be warned you young guns!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... lly-ageist

We will fight back :D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:01 pm
boltonboris wrote:
That's very stereotypically bullshit of you. My ex-employer trucked in free (as in you didn't pay for it) fruit and veg at the beginning of each week. There was, also, no time pressure over lunch time. Plus, work schedules in the afternoon were encouraged around 'breakout spaces' [yes, I know *rolls eyes*] wherein the consumption of group cooked food was encouraged as part of the process.
Since when were you, part of "we"?? I meant "we" as in the company I work for :conf:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:58 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:44 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:01 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Since when were you, part of "we"?? I meant "we" as in the company I work for :conf:
When talking about somewhere abroad in Europe, and then stating "over here, we..." the obvious "We" inherent in that is us, the British, not us, the company that you work for. I am not "Us the Company You Work For" as far as I know, but I am "Us the Country I Live In". Does that help your confusion?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください