General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:04 am

Well I found out this morning that a uni pal of mine passed away in the early hours. I hadn't seen her for a year or so but we were good mates in a past life. She was in her 40's. Had spoken to her on the phone last in January. But she'd texted me a week or two back to say she had a bit of cough - she was joking around about it. Hadn't heard anything since. She has two youngish kids. Heartbreaking.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:04 am
Well I found out this morning that a uni pal of mine passed away in the early hours. I hadn't seen her for a year or so but we were good mates in a past life. She was in her 40's. Had spoken to her on the phone last in January. But she'd texted me a week or two back to say she had a bit of cough - she was joking around about it. Hadn't heard anything since. She has two youngish kids. Heartbreaking.
Sorry to hear that mate.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Tragic. God help her . May she rest in peace. Commiserations to you, as a friend,and her family.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Condolences mate.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:49 pm

Sorry to hear that BWFC-I. Always tragic but especially so when it is someone so young.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Thanks all. Its tough and certainly people are in awful, awful situations. I feel for her family and have to try and not think about it because it just makes me feel sick. Turns out she had a fairly serious health condition that I didn't know about and that she didn't realise would put her in a lot of risk. However, she was not going to die for many decades in all likelihood were it not for COVID. The tragedy of this disease is that it robs people of decades of their lives in certain cases. Stay safe everyone.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:09 pm
Thanks all. Its tough and certainly people are in awful, awful situations. I feel for her family and have to try and not think about it because it just makes me feel sick. Turns out she had a fairly serious health condition that I didn't know about and that she didn't realise would put her in a lot of risk. However, she was not going to die for many decades in all likelihood were it not for COVID. The tragedy of this disease is that it robs people of decades of their lives in certain cases. Stay safe everyone.
Tragic, although we should know the pre-conditions that put us at risk. They are frequently announced. I have three of them. I am nearly 76, I have atrial fibrillation , and my kidneys are not 100%. So I only go out every 10 days or so for groceries observing a good social distance, wash thoroughly on return and otherwise hide in the house. I will have to observe social distancing longer than most, waiting until there is a usable vaccine. I still have a fear the bastard thing will get me in the end.

Keep taking all the precautions you can. BWFC needs all the fans it can get!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Condolences BWFCi . Life at the moment is precious and I think we have all taken for granted how fortunate most of us are. Having now worked in Funeral Directors for just over 2 years now, I now know what the term 'snowed under' means, sadly. Hope everyone on here remains safe, as I and my fellow colleagues don't want to remain this busy :(

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:45 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:17 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:09 pm
Tragic, although we should know the pre-conditions that put us at risk. They are frequently announced. I have three of them. I am nearly 76, I have atrial fibrillation , and my kidneys are not 100%. So I only go out every 10 days or so for groceries observing a good social distance, wash thoroughly on return and otherwise hide in the house. I will have to observe social distancing longer than most, waiting until there is a usable vaccine. I still have a fear the bastard thing will get me in the end.

Keep taking all the precautions you can. BWFC needs all the fans it can get!
I don't know ins and outs but she had some sort of kidney disease. It was treatable and manageable. I'm not sure she realised it put her at risk - she wasn't on the list of 1.5M people the government identified as most at risk and in the early days everything was focussed on lungs and heart stuff - at least publically - I know other diseases were on the list but I think she just assumed it was for cancer or organ donor cases. Its only in recent weeks that the medical experts really cottoned on the fact (or at least started advertising) that it can in some cases affect multiple organs.

Anyhow - it can kill 100% healthy young people - not very often but it can. Lets just all take precautions and hope medical science swoops in to save us all.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:10 pm

I pray for you BWFCI,as I do for us all. This whole killer plague, on such a world wide scale, is. at least for me, surely a good indication of the real complexity of life itself being about far more than our current three score years and ten and out,(more now) and really about the constant battle between good and evil in our world, galaxy,universe etc, that has lasted thousands of years...

My prayers, accepted or rejected, are ever with you. God Bless all....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:10 pm
I pray for you BWFCI,as I do for us all. This whole killer plague, on such a world wide scale, is. at least for me, surely a good indication of the real complexity of life itself being about far more than our current three score years and ten and out,(more now) and really about the constant battle between good and evil in our world, galaxy,universe etc, that has lasted thousands of years...

My prayers, accepted or rejected, are ever with you. God Bless all....
Thank you. The tragedy of course is really two young children are left behind and a family has lost a mum (my loss of an old friend is neither here nor there in comparison). The disease does not care for families or anything else. Everybody take care.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:09 am

So sorry to learn of your loss, Fella. I hope you're as well as can be expected.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 04, 2020 2:01 pm

Just looking on the site of that Look After my Bills bunch (who were on Dragons Den). They're telling me that I can save £277 a year with Utility Point, if I switch from NPower. I'm guessing here that changing energy supplier's going to be as straightforward and transparent as trying to cancel a gym membership.

Anybody any experience of this?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon May 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:01 pm
Just looking on the site of that Look After my Bills bunch (who were on Dragons Den). They're telling me that I can save £277 a year with Utility Point, if I switch from NPower. I'm guessing here that changing energy supplier's going to be as straightforward and transparent as trying to cancel a gym membership.

I’m looking to do something similar, so would be interested in this. I haven’t done the price comparison yet, but Octopus is the company I’ve been told is the one to move to. Anyone with them?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon May 04, 2020 7:00 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:26 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I’m looking to do something similar, so would be interested in this. I haven’t done the price comparison yet, but Octopus is the company I’ve been told is the one to move to. Anyone with them?
We are. They’ve been ok so far! Were the cheapest last time we looked to swap.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon May 04, 2020 9:28 pm

same here. When we moved they came up cheapest - although not by a lot. Can't say I'm impressed or not impressed by them to be completely honest. I have gas and I have eleccy, and I am paying a little less than I was before.No complaints

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 pm

And same here. Not much else to it than that.

Piece of piss to change though. They do everything. I think they have to now (but if not the competition means they all do. Took about 10 mins to do).

Bit of faff because the meter had broken since our last reading so the switch was held up while npower fixed it but pretty painless given the circumstances (the meter breaking would've been a pain anyway).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm

Just switch. You're getting the same gas and electricity regardless and you're just paying someone less to administer your account. You'll only have an issue if you hit an issue - and you'll find the cheaper companies have worse customer service etc...but 95% of people simply don't care because they never have to encounter it. So paying less is good.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

I hadn't looked at any of mine for donkeys, a couple of years back. Once I got started, I did energy, 2 * car insurance, house insurance and a few other things besides - it came to a staggering amount saved.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 05, 2020 2:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I hadn't looked at any of mine for donkeys, a couple of years back. Once I got started, I did energy, 2 * car insurance, house insurance and a few other things besides - it came to a staggering amount saved.
Aye, if it means me paying less for the same stuff then it makes sense. Not sure if me having Npower smart metres might entail a degree of fannying about though?!