General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 05, 2020 6:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:05 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:01 pm
Just looking on the site of that Look After my Bills bunch (who were on Dragons Den). They're telling me that I can save £277 a year with Utility Point, if I switch from NPower. I'm guessing here that changing energy supplier's going to be as straightforward and transparent as trying to cancel a gym membership.

Anybody any experience of this?
I hadn't looked at any of mine for donkeys, a couple of years back. Once I got started, I did energy, 2 * car insurance, house insurance and a few other things besides - it came to a staggering amount saved.
Aye, if it means me paying less for the same stuff then it makes sense. Not sure if me having Npower smart metres might entail a degree of fannying about though?!
Gotta be in when they do it, took about 1 hour at ours if memory serves..no real hassle.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 05, 2020 10:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:05 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:01 pm
Just looking on the site of that Look After my Bills bunch (who were on Dragons Den). They're telling me that I can save £277 a year with Utility Point, if I switch from NPower. I'm guessing here that changing energy supplier's going to be as straightforward and transparent as trying to cancel a gym membership.

Anybody any experience of this?
I hadn't looked at any of mine for donkeys, a couple of years back. Once I got started, I did energy, 2 * car insurance, house insurance and a few other things besides - it came to a staggering amount saved.
Aye, if it means me paying less for the same stuff then it makes sense. Not sure if me having Npower smart metres might entail a degree of fannying about though?!
Gotta be in when they do it, took about 1 hour at ours if memory serves..no real hassle.
Well, I'm in plenty just now :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 06, 2020 12:10 pm

A prayer if you will for my next-door neighbour, a top-class good family lad with a wife and two kids. He's just been assessed as positive for the virus although he'll have to be treated at home. He's a physio at Bolton Hospital and his wife works in admin there.God watch over him...

"The ball no question makes of Ayes and Noes,
But here or there as strikes the player goes.
And he that tossed you down into the field.
He knows about it all, He knows...He knows...."
Omar Khayyam
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Glad to hear Freddie Hill is recovering after two bouts of serious illness. a real Burnden hero and legend, a real class act. I worked with Freddie for a while at Franny Lee's place and my brother knows him well. He's 80 now, same age as me. Prayers with you Freddie.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 08, 2020 2:11 pm

Hope your neighbour is doing ok Tango.

Happy VE Day everyone. Anyone celebrating? Daughter and I have been getting crafty.
Attachments
80E1F2D6-B230-4146-9C42-4DFD14D0CED8.jpeg
80E1F2D6-B230-4146-9C42-4DFD14D0CED8.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 5066 times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 08, 2020 2:44 pm

So far so good G.G. He'll have been heartened by the clapping for N.H.S that our street do at 8'O clock every Thursday evening. Worrying times but be positive and keep praying.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun May 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Any number of wankers in the wings:

'The Government should be treating the public like adults.'

Same wankers seven days later:

'I'm so confused! I don't even know what "stay alert" means...'

Wankers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:47 pm
Any number of wankers in the wings:

'The Government should be treating the public like adults.'

Same wankers seven days later:

'I'm so confused! I don't even know what "stay alert" means...'

Wankers.
How we alert you stay, a virus is catchable if you are in contact with other people. Being alert is entirely irrelevant. Healthcare workers who are demonstrably alert and aware, and more protected than the public get it still.

This isn’t a plan. It’s not a way forward. It’s just passing of the buck. A vacuum of leadership. We can see real leaders in other nations take a clear stand and step up. We get a slogan that doesn’t even make sense and new advice that isn’t in any way clear, or appropriate to the situation we find ourselves in. People will go to work and catch this thing and die and no doubt people like you will blame them rather than those giving the ‘orders’. We should be working like South Korea taking action even when cases are in small numbers. Instead tens of thousands have died already because we decided that large gatherings didn’t matter and let everything go for a fortnight longer than needed. And now we still have thousands of daily cases and once again are doing our own thing rather than learning from those who have a handle on it.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon May 11, 2020 9:17 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 pm

This isn’t a plan. It’s not a way forward. It’s just passing of the buck. A vacuum of leadership. We can see real leaders in other nations take a clear stand and step up. We get a slogan that doesn’t even make sense and new advice that isn’t in any way clear, or appropriate to the situation we find ourselves in. People will go to work and catch this thing and die and no doubt people like you will blame them rather than those giving the ‘orders’. We should be working like South Korea taking action even when cases are in small numbers. Instead tens of thousands have died already because we decided that large gatherings didn’t matter and let everything go for a fortnight longer than needed. And now we still have thousands of daily cases and once again are doing our own thing rather than learning from those who have a handle on it.
Don't know about you, but on my daily exercise I have noticed a massive increase in the amount of people out and about compared to the first weeks of lock down. Traffic has increased significantly in and around our small village and now if I go out for a bike ride or walk I'm almost guaranteed to bump into several people I know - it was like a ghost town at the start.

Thing is, people have reached their natural capability to stay locked in and have started emerging more and more for non-essential trips. Round here most people have largely conformed to the advice, but its starting to slip. If lockdown started 2 weeks sooner then people would have been getting restless 2 weeks sooner. Would this have been a good or a bad thing? Who knows, but it just shows how difficult it is to manage.

We could have learned (as you suggest) from countries like Sweden and not imposed a lock down and it might have been catastrophic. We could have gone the way of China and South Korea and might have fared better, who knows. The only solace I can take from the whole thing is that people have acted with best intentions and on best advice available. Truth is, we are a densely populated, relatively affluent and mobile nation with a large number of older people - we were always going to be hit one of the hardest by this - which we have been - but at least to me it kind of feels slightly under control now....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 11, 2020 9:29 am

dave the minion wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:17 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Don't know about you, but on my daily exercise I have noticed a massive increase in the amount of people out and about compared to the first weeks of lock down. Traffic has increased significantly in and around our small village and now if I go out for a bike ride or walk I'm almost guaranteed to bump into several people I know - it was like a ghost town at the start.

Thing is, people have reached their natural capability to stay locked in and have started emerging more and more for non-essential trips. Round here most people have largely conformed to the advice, but its starting to slip. If lockdown started 2 weeks sooner then people would have been getting restless 2 weeks sooner. Would this have been a good or a bad thing? Who knows, but it just shows how difficult it is to manage.

We could have learned (as you suggest) from countries like Sweden and not imposed a lock down and it might have been catastrophic. We could have gone the way of China and South Korea and might have fared better, who knows. The only solace I can take from the whole thing is that people have acted with best intentions and on best advice available. Truth is, we are a densely populated, relatively affluent and mobile nation with a large number of older people - we were always going to be hit one of the hardest by this - which we have been - but at least to me it kind of feels slightly under control now....
We're faring badly, predominantly because we're run by charlatans. Clear and specific advice was needed every step of the way. But things came too late, the virus seeded, the epidemic was larger than it needed to be and deaths were more than were needed. The governments own data says we've stuck to the lockdown more rigidly than they'd thought. As in we've obeyed the rules more than they ever thought. So the fact they've been leaking stuff to the media over the last week has of course meant some have decided to just ignore it all.

There needs to be clear perspective on this - yes the virus is unavoidable and many would die regardless. Death numbers and rates are largely irrelevant right now. What matters is the numbers who actively have the virus. Our government accepts the estimates that there are between 10 and 20 thousand new cases daily. Do you think that is the point at which we should be getting more people out of the house? Not for me. The message should have been like Scotland, like Wales and like NI - they all have the same data and SAGE advice and those three governments (spanning from the right in NI to the SNP in Scotland) have all said "stay at home and save lives remains". Yet we're going with "stay alert - don't mix socially - but go to work if you can't work from home - but not if you are in a number of unspecified professions who shouldn't".

I accept at some point you need to change things - but we can look globally and see where a) the majority have done a better job and b) releasing lockdown has been contingent on getting case numbers really, really low. We've not done that and whilst 3 governments have all independently decided more needs to be done ours has just done its own thing based on a few people's views - Cabinet was not even consulted.

We've lost people we shouldn't have and frankly I'm worried we're going to lose a whole lot more now.

EDIT: And just seen - last night number 10 briefed journalists that 1 member of a household could meet with one other member of another at 2m distance. Raab today claimed 2 people could meet with others at 2m distance. But then changed to say "the government are reviewing how to allow social contact but as of yet the rules are as they were - not allowed".

The government don't even know their own advice.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 11, 2020 12:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:29 am
dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We're faring badly, predominantly because we're run by charlatans. Clear and specific advice was needed every step of the way. But things came too late, the virus seeded, the epidemic was larger than it needed to be and deaths were more than were needed. The governments own data says we've stuck to the lockdown more rigidly than they'd thought. As in we've obeyed the rules more than they ever thought. So the fact they've been leaking stuff to the media over the last week has of course meant some have decided to just ignore it all.

There needs to be clear perspective on this - yes the virus is unavoidable and many would die regardless. Death numbers and rates are largely irrelevant right now. What matters is the numbers who actively have the virus. Our government accepts the estimates that there are between 10 and 20 thousand new cases daily. Do you think that is the point at which we should be getting more people out of the house? Not for me. The message should have been like Scotland, like Wales and like NI - they all have the same data and SAGE advice and those three governments (spanning from the right in NI to the SNP in Scotland) have all said "stay at home and save lives remains". Yet we're going with "stay alert - don't mix socially - but go to work if you can't work from home - but not if you are in a number of unspecified professions who shouldn't".

I accept at some point you need to change things - but we can look globally and see where a) the majority have done a better job and b) releasing lockdown has been contingent on getting case numbers really, really low. We've not done that and whilst 3 governments have all independently decided more needs to be done ours has just done its own thing based on a few people's views - Cabinet was not even consulted.

We've lost people we shouldn't have and frankly I'm worried we're going to lose a whole lot more now.

EDIT: And just seen - last night number 10 briefed journalists that 1 member of a household could meet with one other member of another at 2m distance. Raab today claimed 2 people could meet with others at 2m distance. But then changed to say "the government are reviewing how to allow social contact but as of yet the rules are as they were - not allowed".

You cannot blame the government for the fact on Friday there were people sat round tables, eating, drinking etc. all over the place barely 6 inches apart never mind 6 feet apart. And this was happening all over the place I had to drive to work on Friday night and dodge around some of these street parties.
So is this the fault of government or really people why we are getting into a silly situation?
You will find no disagreement from me this has been mis-managed from the word go but the number of people turning it towards a political thing stinks!
In my opinion there should be a cross party sit down to design a response to any future outbreak of something like this enshrined in law with appropriate levels of stocks of PPE etc agreed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 11, 2020 12:30 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:29 am
dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You cannot blame the government for the fact on Friday there were people sat round tables, eating, drinking etc. all over the place barely 6 inches apart never mind 6 feet apart. And this was happening all over the place I had to drive to work on Friday night and dodge around some of these street parties.
So is this the fault of government or really people why we are getting into a silly situation?
You will find no disagreement from me this has been mis-managed from the word go but the number of people turning it towards a political thing stinks!
In my opinion there should be a cross party sit down to design a response to any future outbreak of something like this enshrined in law with appropriate levels of stocks of PPE etc agreed.
I blame the government for Friday because they leaked the "lockdown is ending" stories to the media. And that prompted much of what we saw. In fact government were encouraging street parties - albeit socially distanced ones - as though that was a sensible thing to do...on a hot bank holiday - the result was obvious.

Of course some people have broken lockdown but no more than Spain or Italy - the idea that the British people are the "worst in the world" is nonsense. Like everywhere else we've stuck with it to a greater extent than the government expected - from their own data. The police have had an impossible time managing this not because majority of people are breaking rules - but because they've never had the power, or clarity to actually do it.

Its not even about politics - its about competence of leadership. Which clearly is hugely lacking. Its been an embarrassing mess from start to finish because the people running the country aren't good enough primarily and beyond that they are the ones more interested in the optics of politics than actually doing a competent job. In trying to worry about how they "look" they've ballsed it up.

Look at New Zealand - yes a different situation and one we'd never copy but their leader abandoned any sense of politics or optics or worrying how she'd be perceived and took the right course of action each time. Same in Ireland. We need to look at how countries have managed this and learn but we're still not doing so.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 11, 2020 2:01 pm

A one off-:

Meanwhile, in an ideal world where everyone plays by the rules and works for the common good, it might be said that anybody claiming to have all the answers is delusional. Hadn't to be too long before finger-pointing politics entered the arena and the blame gang talk as if we have a world-wide virus epidemic every year instead of (pray God) once in a lifetime at worst. We should be listening to doctors, scientists and public health exerts, not political leaders, who should be doing the same; that's what Ministries are for, and when the dreaded hour arrives, the only real solution, even for the experts, is do your best, hope and pray and admit that, in something of this magnitude, we just don't know the answers. The N.H.S have no miracles in the cupboard, only higher authorities have those and there are no divisions for Labour, Tory or Liberal anybody.

Say your prayers and hope for the best, unless you have a better solution.

Amen.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 11, 2020 4:32 pm

If you want to speak frankly Bwfci, you yourself admit NZ and UK is like chalk and cheese. There are very few countries similar to the UK who have been brilliant shining examples in handling this bloody virus, even the German super model figures are coming under intense scrutiny now. The Chinese dictatorship could not handle it (and anyone believing their figures is drinking something strong) the Russian socialist dictatorship is throwing (alongside some critics) out the window by ordering everyone back to work just why on earth do you think if Corbyn had won the election we would have strong leadership?
To me it seems There are so many 'expert's with their own theories and graphs coming out their arse it is a minefield to navigate.
Anyways enough of this their will be time to argue the rights and wrongs later when hopefully things settle down, for now, everybody look after yourself and those around you, over and out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 11, 2020 6:28 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:32 pm
If you want to speak frankly Bwfci, you yourself admit NZ and UK is like chalk and cheese. There are very few countries similar to the UK who have been brilliant shining examples in handling this bloody virus, even the German super model figures are coming under intense scrutiny now. The Chinese dictatorship could not handle it (and anyone believing their figures is drinking something strong) the Russian socialist dictatorship is throwing (alongside some critics) out the window by ordering everyone back to work just why on earth do you think if Corbyn had won the election we would have strong leadership?
To me it seems There are so many 'expert's with their own theories and graphs coming out their arse it is a minefield to navigate.
Anyways enough of this their will be time to argue the rights and wrongs later when hopefully things settle down, for now, everybody look after yourself and those around you, over and out.
Russia is less socialist than you. But it’s not about politics. Doesn’t matter which party makes the calls they are difficult. It’s competence. And our government is incompetent. And you know it. You’re not even trying to pretend they aren’t.

Yesterday on TV Boris announced everyone back to work tomorrow. Then today after packed trains it changed to, actually we meant people to go back on Wednesday. Then Raab said that people could meet with two others in open spaces with 2m distance. Then he had to change that later to one person only. Basic competence is to produce detailed written guidance before you announce anything.

Sunak manages to be clear, announce stuff backed up with proper guidance and whether you agree with him or not has looked the model of competence during this period. Contrast that with yesterday and other occasions and it’s chalk and cheese, all in the same party but a huge chasm in their ability to lead.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 11, 2020 7:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:28 pm

Russia is less socialist than you. But it’s not about politics. Doesn’t matter which party makes the calls they are difficult. It’s competence. And our government is incompetent. And you know it. You’re not even trying to pretend they aren’t.
You say "not about politic". B.W.F.CI, then immediately slate the government as incompetent as if, as I said before,there is a clear-cut answer that you know of? There isn't, or the crisis wouldn't exist. Neither Scotland, 5 mil, Northern Ireland 2 million or Wales, 3 Million (all approx) come anywhere near England's 60 million inhabitants. Death rates don't seem to be taking too much notice of facts and figures and comparisons seem just a tad unbalanced on the see-saw, when the very people at the forefront of the fight are dying like flies.

. The leaders of the some other U.K countries out in the Scottish Highlands, the Welsh Valleys and over the pond may well look very accomplished right now based solely on numbers, but further abroad, in reality the same see-saw has had a carousel of different horses to ride so far, China India France, Italy etc. We're talking massive international players here, apart from so-far mentioned,, Korea, Russia and all the European names, not to mention who is actually telling the complete truth about their homework.(U.S?) Like it or not, this is a plague of immense volume that not a single soul outside of the Heavens knows the answers to or has seen in our lifetimes. Sorry, but to pretend differently is pure Brothers Grimm.

Edit....Coronavirus: Earlier Scottish lockdown 'could have prevented 2,000 deaths'
By Mark Daly
BBC Disclosure
2 hours ago

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 pm

Agreed. From the minute this crisis descended upon us the world has been full or critics and experts who blame the people in charge and could have done better. Blah blah blah.
Its a f*cking nightmare out there and I'll say it again - people are trying to navigate us through it. I don't give a shiny sh*te which party you follow or whether you like Boris or not - the only things that matter are that he and his party, as the in party in the hot seat, have been dealt a terrible hand and are trying to rely on fast-moving, changing evidence to do their best to get us out of the situation we are in. They are trying their best, and to be honest, they are doing OK. No other party could have handled it better, and comparisons with other countries are meaningless. There's no point in and nothing to be gained by points scoring - lets just all get behind the advice and do what we are being told to to.

Are some of the messages a bit bungled and vague? Yes, maybe. However, I've been working from home since the lockdown started and I didn't hear anything yesterday that made me change that, so with a little bit of common sense applied I'm not sure what all the fuss about yesterday's message was (unless of course its simple jibing and point scoring). I am perfectly clear on my role in the crisis at the moment, and perfectly clear what I can and can't do from Wednesday. I'm not looking for a reason to have a pop at the government, so I'll just merrily continue doing as I'm told. Why can't everyone else?

As people have said, there will be review after inquest after review at some point in th efuture. Every single country's approach will be found to be flawed in some way as the benefit of hindsight becomes clear. However, thats tomorrow's news. Today's news shoud lbe to just stick together and keep following the advice.

None of us - not a single one - actually knows better than the official advice. Some of us think we do - but funnily enough all that seems to be offered up is criticism rather than tried and tested alternatives. To take cheap shots now is an utterly pointless thing to do

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 11, 2020 10:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:28 pm

You say "not about politic". B.W.F.CI, then immediately slate the government as incompetent as if, as I said before,there is a clear-cut answer that you know of? There isn't, or the crisis wouldn't exist. Neither Scotland, 5 mil, Northern Ireland 2 million or Wales, 3 Million (all approx) come anywhere near England's 60 million inhabitants. Death rates don't seem to be taking too much notice of facts and figures and comparisons seem just a tad unbalanced on the see-saw, when the very people at the forefront of the fight are dying like flies.

. The leaders of the some other U.K countries out in the Scottish Highlands, the Welsh Valleys and over the pond may well look very accomplished right now based solely on numbers, but further abroad, in reality the same see-saw has had a carousel of different horses to ride so far, China India France, Italy etc. We're talking massive international players here, apart from so-far mentioned,, Korea, Russia and all the European names, not to mention who is actually telling the complete truth about their homework.(U.S?) Like it or not, this is a plague of immense volume that not a single soul outside of the Heavens knows the answers to or has seen in our lifetimes. Sorry, but to pretend differently is pure Brothers Grimm.

Edit....Coronavirus: Earlier Scottish lockdown 'could have prevented 2,000 deaths'
By Mark Daly
BBC Disclosure
2 hours ago
The same documentary investigation also said the U.K. should have locked down two weeks earlier to save many lives. We all know that to be the case.

My post was about basic competence, that is before we get to making the right decisions.

Nobody knows the answers but many, virtually all have fared far better. Including countries with larger and denser populations. We seem to be hardest hit. And why? Perhaps because a week after many locked down or months after others had built sophisticated track and trace systems our PM was telling everyone he shook hands with Coronavirus patients in hospital - 24 hours AFTER he’d been briefed that he should advise people to stop shaking hands. Or later that massive events like Cheltenham proceeded when the rest of the world stopped them.

Those are decisions that without a shadow of doubt have cost many lives. Then you get to the complete incompetence and shambles.

It’s indefensible. The rest of the worlds media have been lambasting us. Go take a look. We are along with the USA the poster boys for terrible leadership through this.

The facts are there. The inquiries will go on for years. But right now all I’d really complained about was the government being unable to deliver a simple message without contradicting themselves multiple times in less than 12 hours. Perhaps I set my bar too high and blundering nonsense is absolutely fine. It’s just a bit hard to take in these circumstances as people are dying...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon May 11, 2020 10:52 pm

The only country on this planet that has a population both larger and denser than England is Bangladesh.

They've only recorded 239 deaths due to COVID-19.

Which clearly shows how shit we are.

We all know that to be the case.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 12, 2020 10:33 am

Enoch wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:52 pm
The only country on this planet that has a population both larger and denser than England is Bangladesh.

They've only recorded 239 deaths due to COVID-19.

Which clearly shows how shit we are.

We all know that to be the case.
Not the best example to quote, maybe?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Asia- ... to-poverty