General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:57 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:48 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:23 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:14 pm
Absolutely fascinated by these Reddit internet edgelord's who have basically bankrupted a $13bn hedge fund, essentially for the lols.

There's a bit of me that thinks someone innocent must be getting burnt somehow, but it certainly *seems* p*ss funny.
There is certainly something curiously funny about short gamblers now complaining that their gamble hasn't paid off and it needs more regulation. Yes, generally against short gamblers.
Know when to hold 'um,
Know when to fold 'um
Know when to walk away
Know when to run
Never count your money while sitting at the table there'll time enough for counting when the dealings done.

Sounds good enough to me.
I see they want to protect their institutional gamblers from retail as it's all so unfair....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:50 pm

Loving this new Ring doorbell. Everyone in the house can now see who they're not answering because it's too much trouble! Brill.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:50 pm
Loving this new Ring doorbell. Everyone in the house can now see who they're not answering because it's too much trouble! Brill.
I've never got the point of these. Unless you live in an absolutely huge house is it really that much effort to go to the front door and see who it is? And if you live in such a large house you'd have security gates...

I guess that for older people and those living alone its useful.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:38 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:50 pm
I've never got the point of these. Unless you live in an absolutely huge house is it really that much effort to go to the front door and see who it is? And if you live in such a large house you'd have security gates...

I guess that for older people and those living alone its useful.
The house is clearly huge enough that no bugger will get off their arse, to answer the door...but really, after having the front door handles crowbarred off twice in 6 months, it's more about trying to get some video and advanced warning of those cnuts trying to get in.

Regardless of house size, if some bugger is determined to get as far as your front door, then there probably aren't gates big enough to stop them.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:09 pm

We've had a spate of attempted robberies where we live and know loads of people who've 'invested' in them. They look really good and have been useful in helping the police (you have to email them photographs of robbers, otherwise they tell us they can't help us, the feck* lazy cvnts - That's not a joke either.

"my house has been burgled. They smashed the patio doors in when we were sat in the living room, ran in with crowbars and made us give them our car keys"
"Can you email us a photograph of the burgler"
"Err.. No, I was bricking it and stopping my kids from screaming too much in case it enraged the burglers"
"Sorry, in that case, we can't help you"

Anyway, for the price, they're great. We've got a pretty obvious looking CCTV camera pointing down at the front and back doors, so anybody who does fancy having a go, is soon put off and tries elsewhere.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:37 pm

Sweet Jesus are you lot living in Beirut??
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:37 pm
Sweet Jesus are you lot living in Beirut??
It seems to have got worse since COVID lockdown etc. There's posts, daily, on our local FB pages all with pictures of unidentifiable people on them with hoods up. I've had the locks replaced twice in last 12 months as they've tried to crowbar them off. Last attempt, they got the faceplate off but because I'd bought anti-snap barrels, they couldn't actually get through short of using explosives.

My ring doorbell isn't really there to identify, it's there to let me know some fcuker's trying to get in.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:23 am

See, whenever some unfortunate victim puts cctv images up on social media of someone breaking into their house/car/shed followed by the inevitable 'do you recognise this person?' My answer is always 'No, that could be my own brother and I wouldn't recognise them because your cctv images are that shit'. I don't know why people bother with it - it's clearly not serving as a deterrent.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:15 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:23 am
See, whenever some unfortunate victim puts cctv images up on social media of someone breaking into their house/car/shed followed by the inevitable 'do you recognise this person?' My answer is always 'No, that could be my own brother and I wouldn't recognise them because your cctv images are that shit'. I don't know why people bother with it - it's clearly not serving as a deterrent.
I have a possible answer to that (think someone mentioned it earlier). Without any, Police just say "we can't possibly catch anyone without CCTV". Like they've caught no one for 200 years before it existed...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:22 am

And how many have they caught as a direct result of it, the lazy FWIN-happy feck*?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:22 am
And how many have they caught as a direct result of it, the lazy FWIN-happy feck*?
I suspect unless they're smiling direct at the camera, with a name tag on, showing their address - fcuk all. It just removes one excuse for them not even trying.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:44 pm

GMP used to have a grading system for jobs as they came in, numbered from 1 to 5.

Jobs graded 1 to 3 were supposed to be attended to that day, with varying degrees of urgency, but in reality only the really serious Grade 1 jobs were.

Jobs graded 4 were passed to the area beat teams to investigate 'sometime in the future'.

Grade 5 jobs - your stolen bikes, damaged motor vehicle, break into a shed etc were recorded only. ie. Never investigated. That was whether you had CCTV or not.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:08 pm

Bruce Rioja said, in another thread:

I find that as my years advance I become increasingly less and less of a football fan per-se. I have MotD on series link, but usually just watch the one on Sunday; often I delete the Quest show without watching it at all.
Such is my lack of interest now in football in which I've no emotional investment that I've even cancelled both SKY and BT sports set-ups.

[/quote]

Amen to that mate. The fault of the present game's crazy desire to make football an economy rather than a sport, and its organisers intent to screw every last penny out of sport watchers, I think Bruce, is the answer. But for a lifetime love of my home town team I probably wouldn't bother with football at all now. Cricket and all else will probably follow the same path in due course under the heading "development". A cynical workmate once said,years ago, in a discussion on Burnden Park: "I don't know why you bother, twenty years from now it'll be a block of flats. I laughed aloud.

If I had my life to live again ( this bit might be a bit tongue in cheek, then again, it might not) I''d spend it between being a professional golfer and a ballroom dancer. In between that I'd paint, learn to play Bridge, write a couple of books and read some Jane Austen every day. I'd still support Bolton if we had a team, mind. :D

ps. I've posted this here so as not to distract from the trotter threads.

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:08 pm

I find that as my years advance I become increasingly less and less of a football fan per-se. I have MotD on series link, but usually just watch the one on Sunday; often I delete the Quest show without watching it at all.
Such is my lack of interest now in football in which I've no emotional investment that I've even cancelled both SKY and BT sports set-ups.
Amen to that mate. The fault of the present game's crazy desire to make football an economy rather than a sport, and its organisers intent to screw every last penny out of sport watchers, I think Bruce, is the answer. But for a lifetime love of my home town team I probably wouldn't bother with football at all now. Cricket and all else will probably follow the same path in due course under the heading "development". A cynical workmate once said,years ago, in a discussion on Burnden Park: "I don't know why you bother, twenty years from now it'll be a block of flats. I laughed aloud.

If I had my life to live again ( this bit might be a bit tongue in cheek, then again, it might not) I''d spend it between being a professional golfer and a ballroom dancer. In between that I'd paint, learn to play Bridge, write a couple of books and read some Jane Austen every day. I'd still support Bolton if we had a team, mind. :D

ae:)
[/quote]

I can’t say that since Covid I’ve missed the match day experience. I’ve watched games at home and it’s been ok. But I worry how many are out of the habit of going now. There will be a novelty return factor but when that’s gone will fans return?

I think it’s highlighted how soulless it can be at times.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:39 pm

Wfh extended until September. Sacking London off. Going to move back home for the summer and then back down in autumn. Miss my family and friends.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:25 pm

How time flies. Checking back in the Members list for something, I realised I've been a member of The Wanderer site for 16 years now. ( Bench and Keveh ran it back then) There are probably others who have been here longer than that, Bruce Rioja, Monty, Dujon etc, but it doesn't seem five minutes since we used to meet in The Greenwood or The Harvester on match days. Course, the ground was The Reebok then and we were talking of qualifying for the UEFA Cup not being demoted to Div 4, but it's a bit frightening when you think about it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:25 pm
How time flies. Checking back in the Members list for something, I realised I've been a member of The Wanderer site for 16 years now. ( Bench and Keveh ran it back then) There are probably others who have been here longer than that, Bruce Rioja, Monty, Dujon etc, but it doesn't seem five minutes since we used to meet in The Greenwood or The Harvester on match days. Course, the ground was The Reebok then and we were talking of qualifying for the UEFA Cup not being demoted to Div 4, but it's a bit frightening when you think about it.
Just about the same time, Tango. Bruce, I and a bunch of others came over from Bolton Banter at the same time. Not too many of the others left now - some got banned and some lost interest. C'est la vie.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:43 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:25 pm
Funnily enough Facebook reminded me this morning with a photo posted by Marshall42 of a rather younger version of myself. T'was 13 years ago when we were beveraging before the Madrid game. Time doesn't half fly!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:08 pm

ae:) [/quote]

I’m with you on this one Bruce and Tango. I feel like I’m an Arsenal fan now rather then a football fan. Sure, I enjoy going to watch another team occasionally, more for the social side then the match, but really I’m only interested in Arsenal. When I look at my oldest son (age 10) he reminds me of me when younger. He’s an avid collector of match attax (our equivalent of stickers) subscribes to Match of the day magazine, plays football for a team, plays fifa on the playstation, watches videos on you tube of football and will listen to any match on 5 live. All he talks about is football (which to be fair is an improvement on tractors and Lego which were his topics in younger years). I reckon he spends the vast majority of his life football immersed. I love to see it, it’s so nice that he has a passion for it and I feel going to watch Arsenal will be something that bonds us through life, but I just don’t have the head space for that level of broad football obsession anymore. Maybe it’s a youth thing and as we grow up and other things become important in our lives we just don’t have the time to prioritise watching random unimportant games? Arsenal are still hugely important to me but if they didn’t exist would I still watch much? No, I don’t think I would. :conf:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 pm

I've quite enjoyed going to the odd non League game and will again when possible. I never watch any premier League or European football though. Hold a passing interest in who is doing what but never sit through it.