General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:36 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:54 pm
Anyone know what the rough post op recovery is for a detached hernia? A work colleague has one and I’m covering extra hours til they return. Just wondering how many weeks it is likely to be!
Depends a bit on the op and how it went and how bad it was. I’d say a month maybe 5 weeks would be normal. It’s one where for a few weeks after you usually have to lie face down for most of the time to allow the retina to full reattach and I doubt many jobs are compatible with this.
Probably not compatible as her job involves teaching football to school kids! I had heard about the lying face down thing, hadn’t realised it was for so long, that’s rubbish! Poor lass!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:28 pm

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:46 pm

Dorf Drops?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 am

Saw this shared on fb. I consider myself a fairly confident driver (minibuses apart! hush BP/HG!) but I’m not sure I know which lane to take here. Thoughts?!
Attachments
5F3A783C-27DE-430A-833B-8CB879B04CAE.png
5F3A783C-27DE-430A-833B-8CB879B04CAE.png (1.9 MiB) Viewed 762 times

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm

Wowzers. So get this. I just thought that everyone else on Earth suffered similarly with this, but apparently not. Turns out that only one in 35 people are affected by this, and so are both of my brothers. Photic sneeze reflex. It's a condition of uncontrollable sneezing episodes in response to bright light. In fact, if I feel a sneeze coming on I deliberately stare at a bright light to bring it on/get it over with. Likewise, myself and my younger brother both enter into a fit of sneezes when exposed to spearmint/peppermint, especially chewing gum.

Turns out we can't be fighter pilots, which is a bit of a career limiter!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 am
Saw this shared on fb. I consider myself a fairly confident driver (minibuses apart! hush BP/HG!) but I’m not sure I know which lane to take here. Thoughts?!
That’s a good one. I think strictly speaking right hand lane as left hand line is marked for left turn which is first exit.

So in theory I think it’s right hand lane. But I’m not convinced in practice it would work like that.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm
Wowzers. So get this. I just thought that everyone else on Earth suffered similarly with this, but apparently not. Turns out that only one in 35 people are affected by this, and so are both of my brothers. Photic sneeze reflex. It's a condition of uncontrollable sneezing episodes in response to bright light. In fact, if I feel a sneeze coming on I deliberately stare at a bright light to bring it on/get it over with. Likewise, myself and my younger brother both enter into a fit of sneezes when exposed to spearmint/peppermint, especially chewing gum.

Yep. Happens to me too. Wife had never come across it before meeting me and thought I was just weird.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

At least you've found out now before you wasted all that time.

I'm colour blind. Don't envy the poor bastard who has to tell all the six year olds they can't do any of the cool jobs. Though at that age I think I still wanted to be a fighter jet never mind pilot.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:14 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I'm colour blind. Don't envy the poor bastard who has to tell all the six year olds they can't do any of the cool jobs. Though at that age I think I still wanted to be a fighter jet never mind pilot.
Isn’t the colour blind thing an urban myth? Think you can still be a fighter pilot unless you see in monochrome that is….

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:14 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Wow. Imagine never knocking one out to Munsell's Colour tree :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
That’s a good one. I think strictly speaking right hand lane as left hand line is marked for left turn which is first exit.

So in theory I think it’s right hand lane. But I’m not convinced in practice it would work like that.
Agreed. Left hand lane is left turn only, so I'd use the right hand lane to go straight or right. Then probably lose my shit at all the drivers coming up my inside
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Agreed. Left hand lane is left turn only, so I'd use the right hand lane to go straight or right. Then probably lose my shit at all the drivers coming up my inside
I'd wave back.... :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:01 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:13 pm

Yep. Happens to me too. Wife had never come across it before meeting me and thought I was just weird.
And me. I thought it was fairly common
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:00 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I'd wave back.... :-)
:D

I remember them re doing the markings on Bury Bridge as you left Bury to come to Bolton. 4 lanes became 3 as you went through the lights. It was horns going, shouting, rude gestures the lot!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:06 pm

I think the Highway Code is very non-committal on anything that's not "turn left" or "turn right"....basically they don't want to get involved. We have one near us. Problem is the access road to MW is only one lane and they can't change it. Whichever way they draw the lane markings doesn't work, so they leave it to the insurance companies!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:32 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:03 pm

:D
I remember them re doing the markings on Bury Bridge as you left Bury to come to Bolton. 4 lanes became 3 as you went through the lights. It was horns blaring, shouting, rude gestures the lot!
Seen some crackpot road behaviour in this country, but nothing I've ever seen equals that of France. I was a fair few years back granted, going through Paris on the way to Spain , at that time the land of battered Citroen Dianes, I had to cross the Seine five times to get in the right exit lane. Just nobody would let you in on a crazy carousel of honking horns and waving fists. Don't know if it's much improved today,( Pru ?) but that was without doubt a real traffic nightmare.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

See, I think I’d use the right hand lane too, but then I was taught that anything before 12 0’clock (which it is) is left hand lane!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Don’t have the light thing but I sneeze when eating polos. That’s not the same as the photic sneeze reflex though?!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:59 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:23 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

See, I think I’d use the right hand lane too, but then I was taught that anything before 12 0’clock (which it is) is left hand lane!
Yep but the lane markings overide that.

So for example straight over is usually left hand lane. But if LH lane is marked left only then you go in right.

I think technically right hand lane is correct. But I bet most don’t do that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:11 pm

Snow White and.....?