General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:01 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:12 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:21 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:53 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:48 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm
Aye, you can't beat playing in a sports final. I've been lucky to play in a few and can remember them all, even the one from 40 years ago.

^ feck I feel old :lol:
Mate, me and my old primary school pals still talk about us winning the BEN Cup in 1977, and guys on the losing side who a few of us ended up in secondary school with are still sore about it. :lol:
I only spent just over a year at the primary school I got to the cup final in. I like to thing my lumbering box to box dribble is still the stuff of legends despite my short stay. In reality they probably remember some gangly lump tripping over the ball continously :lol:

I went to Thornleigh. If you weren't any good at Cricket, Rugby or Football you were not worth bothering with. Cross country was for us sh*t kids. Happy now though. :mrgreen:
Interesting double post. I guess IT skills weren’t a thing taught there either! :wink:
Absolutely correct. Computers were BBC Commodores and were kept under strict lock and key. No access to anyone except the maths geeks.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:07 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:12 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Aye, you can't beat playing in a sports final. I've been lucky to play in a few and can remember them all, even the one from 40 years ago.

Mate, me and my old primary school pals still talk about us winning the BEN Cup in 1977, and guys on the losing side who a few of us ended up in secondary school with are still sore about it. :lol:
I only spent just over a year at the primary school I got to the cup final in. I like to thing my lumbering box to box dribble is still the stuff of legends despite my short stay. In reality they probably remember some gangly lump tripping over the ball continously :lol:

I went to Thornleigh. If you weren't any good at Cricket, Rugby or Football you were not worth bothering with. Cross country was for us sh*t kids. Happy now though. :mrgreen:
Interesting double post. I guess IT skills weren’t a thing taught there either! :wink:
:lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:10 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I went to Thornleigh. If you weren't any good at Cricket, Rugby or Football you were not worth bothering with. Cross country was for the sh*t kids. Happy now though. :mrgreen:
I spent the last year and a bit of Primary at Gorsefield. There was very little sporting prowess around, as demonstrated by my walking straight into the first 11 :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am

Okay, seriously, has to be the sports. As St Joseph's boys captain I got to mount the rostrum at the Town Hall for the Primary schools sports finals (we won the girls too that year) and receive the cup. Loved that, but winning the Cricket House Finals at Bolton Tech was the cream. I took seven wickets and hit the winning runs to get carried off the field on cheering shoulders. Nothing school-wise was worth missing that for. (I wasn't a star at maths and geometry anyway, and certainly transitions and stuff were low priority) Cricket it is then. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:57 am

Well I’ve said she can do the cricket, despite the fact when I asked her teacher about other possible transition days yesterday he hadn’t heard anything about the cricket and looked aghast at the thought of her missing it, however from what she’s heard so far, only about 3 parents have said yes to the cricket so they may not have enough anyway. Waiting to hear…

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:06 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am
I got to mount the rostrum at the Town Hall for the Primary schools sports finals
Did you, Sir? Corr blimey. And how do you feel about it now, Sir? Radiant? Do you feel radiant, Sir? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:15 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:06 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am
I got to mount the rostrum at the Town Hall for the Primary schools sports finals
Did you, Sir? Corr blimey. And how do you feel about it now, Sir? Radiant? Do you feel radiant, Sir? :D
The "radiance" fades somewhat with time, but the memories linger on for bragging rights.. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:35 pm

Blatter and Platini found not guilty of fraud ? That's the law.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:38 pm

Daughter went to the cricket finals this week you’ll be pleased to hear! They did really well in the group stage but had the eventual winners and runners up in their group so just failed to qualify for the semis. Won the 5th place play off though. Not bad out of over 100 schools across the county that entered originally, considering most of them, including my daughter, had never played the game before Easter and lots of them were the year below due to the transition day issues, so not their strongest team out. Lots of the other teams had club players in them. She had a great time and doesn’t seem that bothered about having missed transition day. She’s even been getting me out to be wicket keeper for her as she practices her bowling in the evenings, despite the fact the school matches and club have finished for the season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:02 pm

Rebel! Well done.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:43 pm

Splendid. Almost certainly the right decision all round!

She'll be in the hundred before you know it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:32 pm

"We all need to come together to celebrate Bolton Pride 2022'"

Main front-page headline written by the Editor of today's Bolton News. Caused a few comments, caustic and otherwise. Most sensible reply seems to be "Why". Without wanting to start a major discussion, I'm a bit sick of all this " Pride" stuff. Do what you want, be who you want to be, but don't ram it down folks throats if they don't agree. For the editor of a daily newspaper to make this obviously personal view a headline is more than a bit over the top.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:32 pm

Main front-page headline written by the Editor of today's Bolton News. Caused a few comments, caustic and otherwise. Most sensible reply seems to be "Why". Without wanting to start a major discussion, I'm a bit sick of all this " Pride" stuff. Do what you want, be who you want to be, but don't ram it down folks throats if they don't agree. For the editor of a daily newspaper to make this obviously personal view a headline is more than a bit over the top.
How is having a celebration ramming anything down anyones throat? And exactly what do you ‘disagree’ with?

If people can have a beer festival or women can march or football fans can attend weekly matches then why can’t people celebrate what they want to?

I find this sort of attitude infuriating. The very reason they are celebrating in this way is because for centuries their relationships were banned by law and when they were legalised eventually they suffered physcial abuse and comments for decades. So it’s a chance for the community to show their feelings in public and celebrate with anyone who wants to join in. But you aren’t forced to.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:44 pm

Dear Mr Insane. Awful sorry to cause you to feel infuriated because I might have an opinion contrary to your own (if I actually did) . Please forgive me. It won't happen again. :spank:

No need to reply as I concede the last word to your wisdom. :pray:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

What could you not "agree" with?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:58 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

What could you not "agree" with?

Oh hello. Well, er, anything I feel like apparently. Mr Insane says it's okay. What's good for the goose..etc. Has to apply to all views surely?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:45 am

It's very difficult to say without knowing what it is you disagree with.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:25 am

Coincidence?
Three mates just been on holiday to various destinations, Spain, Italy and Sceneries, all now positive, airports and planes the only thing in common.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:40 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:25 am
Coincidence?
Three mates just been on holiday to various destinations, Spain, Italy and Sceneries, all now positive, airports and planes the only thing in common.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence. I imagine sitting on a plane with recycled air and a hundred or so other people is obviously likely to increase your risk of catching Covid.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:40 am
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:25 am
Coincidence?
I don’t think it’s a coincidence. I imagine sitting on a plane with recycled air and a hundred or so other people is obviously likely to increase your risk of catching Covid.
I think you're massively underestimating the cleanliness of cabin air and the efficacy of air-scrubbing processes here, Chap. It's a popular misconception.
May the bridges I burn light your way