General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:43 am

Had a couple of e-mails supposedly warning me about p.c. security and insist I click on a link I'm almost sure is a scam. Just thought I'd mention it. Beware...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:57 pm

Serious question for Abdoulaye's Twin,

What are the Midges like up there in early, probably second/third week of September?

I believe the Eastern Highlands (we're we may possibly stay) ain't too bad but we need to be rocking the roads out West on the bikes (not the nc500, onliy parts and the good bits it misses)

Really I am meals on wheels for these things

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:06 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:57 pm

What are the Midges like up there in early, probably second/third week of September?

I believe the Eastern Highlands (we're we may possibly stay) ain't too bad but we need to be rocking the roads out West on the bikes (not the nc500, onliy parts and the good bits it misses)

If we're talking this year it will be difficult to say. Because summer has bypassed us this year (so far), it means the usual hatching patterns are different. They normally like warmer wetter weather and we've had windy cooler weather so far this year. Normally late September is bad, but I suspect that'll be pushed back a little .

In other words...haven't a clue this year mate :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:42 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:06 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:57 pm

If we're talking this year it will be difficult to say. Because summer has bypassed us this year (so far), it means the usual hatching patterns are different. They normally like warmer wetter weather and we've had windy cooler weather so far this year. Normally late September is bad, but I suspect that'll be pushed back a little .

In other words...haven't a clue this year mate :lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:52 pm

Midge update for Hobes...

The wee bastids are now out in force.

Did you know it's the wimmin that bite? The bloke midges don't bite...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:02 pm

Wife, son and partner and two grandkids (ten year old and a two year old) had a day out in Blackpool yesterday. For what it cost in train and taxi fares, tram ride and a chip shop lunch I reckon I could have bought a new suit (no Beau Brummel these days me ) Bag of chips £3 per person(£15), 2 plastic bucket and spades £10, train fares £60, fairground rides (I didn't ask) drinks, arcades taxi to and from station, didn't ask. I'm not a mean man, but it's all going crackers. I mean, BLACKPOOL?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 am

^^^ Fish, chips and curry sauce from my local chippy is now £8.10, Tango. They've seen the last of me for a while.

I'd rather pay a bit more to go up to the Pack Horse for a beautiful piece of haddock, Jenga chips, mushy peas, home-made tartare sauce and a pint. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 am
^^^ Fish, chips and curry sauce from my local chippy is now £8.10, Tango. They've seen the last of me for a while.

I'd rather pay a bit more to go up to the Pack Horse for a beautiful piece of haddock, Jenga chips, mushy peas, home-made tartare sauce and a pint. :)
Indeed Bruce. Not been for a while, but Pilling's on Bolton Market do large fish, chips and peas at a sit down cafe for £6. Never found it wanting on quality or taste.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:22 pm

Feck me, just had our first electric bill in for the business since our contract switched to the new pricing. We went from approx £1k last month to approx £3.5k this month. That is with no heatwaves and mainly autumnal weather this summer.

At home our tank of heating oil went up almost triple from last fill up in January. I'm fortunate that my business can absorb the increases and leave me enough to live on, but a lot of business are going to go belly up this winter and a lot of folk will not be able to pay these sort of bills. With Thick Lizzy in charge it's going to be very very bleak :(

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 am

Now then, can't remember if we've had this discussion here or elsewhere but does anyone other than my deviant B-i-L put gravy on their fish?

Blue Anchor in Horwich does Pudding chips Peas and Gravy for less than £6.00 Bargain and a huge portion too. :D

I was also recently asked if I'd ever had a 'Stonehenge' a bed of chips and mushy peas with two steak and kidney puddings and a battered fish lying across them. Looks fantastic but I wouldn't eat for a week after that. :P

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:41 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:27 pm

Now then, can't remember if we've had this discussion here or elsewhere but does anyone other than my deviant B-i-L put gravy on their fish?
Not me; salt and vinegar only. I'm a big salt lover, but with other spices I never put pepper near fish and chips. I don't even have curry with fish although I have chilli con carne and chips. Wife likes Parsley sauce with fish, but not for me. I like mustard with meat, but prefer French to English. Gravy is for roast beef. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:42 pm

Gravy on fish is an abomination. And I love gravy. But it’s meat flavoured. It doesn’t belong on battered fish.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:35 pm

I'm a lightly battered kinda guy myself, so usually have it placed atop the chips and curry with just s&v.
There isn't much you can get from a chippy that I wouldn't be happy to smother in gravy, but fish isn't one of them.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:44 pm

I love fish, chips and gravy! Had it for years before I became aware how some folk thought it odd. So much so, after a while I used to order the gravy separately so I could pour it on myself at home and avoid any embarrassment :oops:

Throw in 2 slices of buttered Warbys and a mug of tea and I'm in food heaven.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:31 pm

I like it too. Only a little bit mind.

But then I don't have gravy with a pudding (it's made of bastard gravy) so I might be tapped.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm

You've been down south way too long. Pudding without gravy? Bonkers
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:25 pm

You lot are all weird. The only place gravy belongs is on a roast dinner. Just makes everything soggy otherwise. Grim.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:39 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:22 pm
Feck me, just had our first electric bill in for the business since our contract switched to the new pricing. We went from approx £1k last month to approx £3.5k this month. That is with no heatwaves and mainly autumnal weather this summer.

At home our tank of heating oil went up almost triple from last fill up in January. I'm fortunate that my business can absorb the increases and leave me enough to live on, but a lot of business are going to go belly up this winter and a lot of folk will not be able to pay these sort of bills. With Thick Lizzy in charge it's going to be very very bleak :(
I did read about a week ago the musings of some retail 'expert' who reckons the 24hr supermarkets may cease this winter, their night staff moved to late afternoon/twilight shifts and a reduction in frozen/chilled display units.
I really hope you manage mate there is still an awful lot of people who don't realise what's coming and they are in for a huge shock.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:52 am

Back on the money thing for a sec - West Ham fans are currently being charged £7.30 a pint in the ground, apparently club taking legal action against the supplier, because it's a lot worse than Spurs £5+ pints...The pain around all this (and I think most folks understand if shit costs more, then you have to pay more), is when they get inflation back under any semblance of control, it won't go back down to the level it was at before inflation kicked in...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:26 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:52 am
Back on the money thing for a sec - West Ham fans are currently being charged £7.30 a pint in the ground, apparently club taking legal action against the supplier, because it's a lot worse than Spurs £5+ pints...The pain around all this (and I think most folks understand if shit costs more, then you have to pay more), is when they get inflation back under any semblance of control, it won't go back down to the level it was at before inflation kicked in...
Yeah. I can take paying more in periods of inflation. But I don’t see why we should pay more yet companies make more profits. Why can’t we take a hit and pay more, yet companies take a small hit too? I know why but it just reinforces that our economy now works only for a tiny minority.