General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:09 pm

£7.30 for a pint? :shock:

I assume it's extra on top of that for the splash of lemonade the gullible, shandy drinking, cockney halfwits.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:46 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:22 pm
Feck me, just had our first electric bill in for the business since our contract switched to the new pricing. We went from approx £1k last month to approx £3.5k this month. That is with no heatwaves and mainly autumnal weather this summer.

At home our tank of heating oil went up almost triple from last fill up in January. I'm fortunate that my business can absorb the increases and leave me enough to live on, but a lot of business are going to go belly up this winter and a lot of folk will not be able to pay these sort of bills. With Thick Lizzy in charge it's going to be very very bleak :(
Our long term rate for the surgery finishes in October. Current quotes are seeing it jump from £4k to £18.5k per year. No way of recouping that money and no support from the government to help with it. It’ll either be coming directly out of GPs pockets or will mean less spent on patient care.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:48 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:39 am

I really hope you manage mate there is still an awful lot of people who don't realise what's coming and they are in for a huge shock.
I'm thinking the ones most affected (the Have-nots) already know but they can't do anything about it Hobes. The "Haves" are too busy frenziedly shifting their money around the globe in efforts to fool the Inland Revenue to care about anything but themselves. It used to be said "Manners maketh the man", well Greed and selfishness have replaced that a long time ago. Until the government finds a way to balance the scales (what a hope) Lord Chuckabutty will still swan around in his Bentley, flitting around between his various homes in his private jet and multi-billion pound yacht, shopping at Harrods and giving little thought to switching light-bulbs off or how the tiresome poor are doing. "Damned nuisance they are, always complaining" and totally ignoring the "What doth it profit a man if he gains the whole world" mandate. Thus it ever was and evermore shall be so.

Many governments have promised the earth, but none so much as the current crop.
The sheer audacity of inexperienced politicians thinking they have the answer would be hilarious if it weren't so terrifying.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:32 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Feck me, just had our first electric bill in for the business since our contract switched to the new pricing. We went from approx £1k last month to approx £3.5k this month. That is with no heatwaves and mainly autumnal weather this summer.

At home our tank of heating oil went up almost triple from last fill up in January. I'm fortunate that my business can absorb the increases and leave me enough to live on, but a lot of business are going to go belly up this winter and .a lot of folk will not be able to pay these sort of bills. With Thick Lizzy in charge it's going to be very very bleak :(
I did read about a week ago the musings of some retail 'expert' who reckons the 24hr supermarkets may cease this winter, their night staff moved to late afternoon/twilight shifts and a reduction in frozen/chilled display units.
I really hope you manage mate there is still an awful lot of people who don't realise what's coming and they are in for a huge shock.
I have the problem of needing to add more chiller and frozen units. Good because sales are up, but barely any of it results in a net profit. We'll be ok as we have enough in reserve the tread water for a year or two, it will just mean our expansion plans will take longer.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:35 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:46 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

At home our tank of heating oil went up almost triple from last fill up in January. I'm fortunate that my business can absorb the increases and leave me enough to live on, but a lot of business are going to go belly up this winter and a lot of folk will not be able to pay these sort of bills. With Thick Lizzy in charge it's going to be very very bleak :(
Our long term rate for the surgery finishes in October. Current quotes are seeing it jump from £4k to £18.5k per year. No way of recouping that money and no support from the government to help with it. It’ll either be coming directly out of GPs pockets or will mean less spent on patient care.
Unfortunately, nothing will be done unless there are mass closures of surgeries. Even then it'll be blamed on Labour, or people with a name beginning with B or summat :roll:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:23 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:48 pm
Hoboh wrote:

I'm thinking the ones most affected (the Have-nots) already know but they can't do anything about it Hobes. The "Haves" are too busy frenziedly shifting their money around the globe in efforts to fool the Inland Revenue to care about anything but themselves. It used to be said "Manners maketh the man", well Greed and selfishness have replaced that a long time ago. Until the government finds a way to balance the scales (what a hope) Lord Chuckabutty will still swan around in his Bentley, flitting around between his various homes in his private jet and multi-billion pound yacht, shopping at Harrods and giving little thought to switching light-bulbs off or how the tiresome poor are doing. "Damned nuisance they are, always complaining" and totally ignoring the "What doth it profit a man if he gains the whole world" mandate. Thus it ever was and evermore shall be so.

Many governments have promised the earth, but none so much as the current crop.
The sheer audacity of inexperienced politicians thinking they have the answer would be hilarious if it weren't so terrifying.
Tango, trust me it ain't only the wealthy who are ignoring what's coming, some of those you term the 'have nots' or those who are just over the borderline haven't changed their ways either.
They still go down the pub fri/sat night, just eat or whatever are round a couple of nights, a couple of the local kids have had birthdays and are swaning up and down the road on the latest not cheap electric scooters and other than moaning they ain't changed now't. Tomorrow it seems will never come.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:24 am

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:09 pm

I know I'll be in the minority, but sad to hear Ellen White and Jill Scott are retiring from England's women's football team (not sure about club football but I never watch that anyway). I've watched both for a fair old while and they'll surely be missed.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:00 pm

Took the youngest (age 7) to his first training session at the village football club today. There’s a wide variety of kids abilities there, but a few that stand out as being really skilful from the rest (possibly because they are only children whose dads take them for extra 1-1 training sessions regularly). Anyway, I’ve been around youth football in various forms for many years now but this is the first time I have heard a parent (of one of the more able children mentioned above who is in my sons class) talk about the contact he was negotiating with his 7 year old as to what he would pay him per goal scored this season (in the friendlies and training, they aren’t even in a league yet). AIBU to be genuinely quite shocked by this? What happened to the intrinsic reward you get for accomplishing things? Playing sport for the love of it? (Said kid then was the only one crying when he missed a penalty in the shootout at the end). He might be streets ahead of my lad skill wise but whether he enjoyed the session as much is debatable. I just felt a bit sad for him.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:31 pm

Probably depends on the kid, and maybe their age. My dad used to do that with my brother (though when he was a teenager) but it was a bit of fun rather than a "contract". I wasn't any danger.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:31 pm
Probably depends on the kid, and maybe their age. My dad used to do that with my brother (though when he was a teenager) but it was a bit of fun rather than a "contract". I wasn't any danger.
He’s 7, and really good. I might occasionally treat mine to a McDonald’s or something after a swim gala or athletics match but actual payment just shocked me at that age.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:18 pm

Fanatic "must win" parents are more of a danger to kiddie minds than any fear of failure ever is.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:26 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:00 pm
Took the youngest (age 7) to his first training session at the village football club today. There’s a wide variety of kids abilities there, but a few that stand out as being really skilful from the rest (possibly because they are only children whose dads take them for extra 1-1 training sessions regularly). Anyway, I’ve been around youth football in various forms for many years now but this is the first time I have heard a parent (of one of the more able children mentioned above who is in my sons class) talk about the contact he was negotiating with his 7 year old as to what he would pay him per goal scored this season (in the friendlies and training, they aren’t even in a league yet). AIBU to be genuinely quite shocked by this? What happened to the intrinsic reward you get for accomplishing things? Playing sport for the love of it? (Said kid then was the only one crying when he missed a penalty in the shootout at the end). He might be streets ahead of my lad skill wise but whether he enjoyed the session as much is debatable. I just felt a bit sad for him.
Not normal in my experience. Sounds ridiculous. Kids should play because they enjoy it not for money. At age 7? Nonsense.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:13 am

When we were at primary school the grandad of one of the lads in the squad promised him something like 10p per goal scored. Nice gesture, but we all knew that it was never going to cost him anything anyway as his grandson was absolute shite and very rarely got a game anyway. 😊
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:30 am

I might have said this before (memory not what it was) but I watched a T.V programme a while back asking young kids why they had given up ballroom dancing. The answers were always the same: fanatical" must win"parents had taken all the enjoyment and fun out of their pastime. It was no longer pleasure, but a pain.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:47 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:13 am
When we were at primary school the grandad of one of the lads in the squad promised him something like 10p per goal scored. Nice gesture, but we all knew that it was never going to cost him anything anyway as his grandson was absolute shite and very rarely got a game anyway. 😊
Good job like because back then 5 goals and he’d have been remortgaging his house…. :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:56 am

We often found that a few coins of the realm placed on top of the stumps in training, managed to get some youngsters who might normally drop the pill somewhere between leg stump and the square leg umpire, bowling a lot straighter.... :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:47 am

Good job like because back then 5 goals and he’d have been remortgaging his house…. :wink:
🤣 I think I may have overestimated his grandad's incentive here..
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:21 pm

Grand daughter (one of them, I have three great granddaughters) visited today. She loves saying cheese. She's just reached two and is super intelligent so you an imagine I'm just a bit proud. :D
Attachments
sav1.JPG
sav1.JPG (192.71 KiB) Viewed 801 times

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:00 pm

Lovely photo Tango