General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:08 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:52 am
I find that ^ really surprising Insane. I must get asked about once a week, at least, to put my card in the machine and enter my PIN because it's refused contactless.

I'm not dodgy. Honest :shock:
It surprises me that I'm not asked and I wonder what gremlins are in the system to mean I'm not....
Definitely something amiss there. You should be getting asked for your PIN approximately every 5 consecutive contactless transactions. If you're using a phone or watch then this doesn't apply as you're using authentication each transaction in unlocking your phone or using a fingerprint/face. In the UK the deadline for implementation for online transactions is March this year, so you might see more requests for banking app/mobile phone codes when buying stuff online than you currently do.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:50 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:39 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I find that ^ really surprising Insane. I must get asked about once a week, at least, to put my card in the machine and enter my PIN because it's refused contactless.

It surprises me that I'm not asked and I wonder what gremlins are in the system to mean I'm not....
Definitely something amiss there. You should be getting asked for your PIN approximately every 5 consecutive contactless transactions. If you're using a phone or watch then this doesn't apply as you're using authentication each transaction in unlocking your phone or using a fingerprint/face. In the UK the deadline for implementation for online transactions is March this year, so you might see more requests for banking app/mobile phone codes when buying stuff online than you currently do.
Right - every single online purchase I make now asks for verification via text message. So that's fine.

Its just in store contactless payments I have never once been asked for a PIN. I do use my phone on occasion but mainly just my card contactless. Weird.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:50 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Right - every single online purchase I make now asks for verification via text message. So that's fine.

Its just in store contactless payments I have never once been asked for a PIN. I do use my phone on occasion but mainly just my card contactless. Weird.
I thought all the banks were up and running, but maybe yours hasn't fully implemented it yet.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:59 am
The gardner, window cleaner, taxi-drivers and even the guy who collects my Goldline Wanderers donations, tend not to deal in contactless amounts preferring cash. At our ages and not getting out a lot, things need to be simpler, not more complicated. What next, issue the homeless with personal cash machines?
Aye, I bet they do :lol:

Some homeless people in This That London do have the little things you can tap to give a £1. Assume somewhere like Shelter provides them.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I don't really use contactless on my card anyone, I use my phone where I've never once been asked to insert and pin (which is probably for the best :D ). On the card, Monzo seems to ask semi-regularly. TSB I don't think it's ever happened other than the first time you use the card.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:00 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:45 pm

Some homeless people in This That London do have the little things you can tap to give a £1. Assume somewhere like Shelter provides them.
That's great that but I suspect many would be wary about donating that way.

Near Trafalgar Square the other week I was just about to give a homeless chap a quid when a bloke in front of me in hard hat and high viz gave him a ten pound note :shock: . London is so expensive these days I can't even afford to look after the tramps properly!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I don't really use contactless on my card anyone, I use my phone where I've never once been asked to insert and pin (which is probably for the best :D ). On the card, Monzo seems to ask semi-regularly. TSB I don't think it's ever happened other than the first time you use the card.
Ah - so that sounds like it isn't a universal thing. I have cards from a three providers (all big banks) and have never been asked for a PIN but of course the first transaction has to be a PIN one - but from that point never asked again. Glad I'm not the only one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:01 pm
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Ah - so that sounds like it isn't a universal thing. I have cards from a three providers (all big banks) and have never been asked for a PIN but of course the first transaction has to be a PIN one - but from that point never asked again. Glad I'm not the only one.
Now you've clarified it a bit, I often don't get asked, if I'm below the contactless limit and they have transaction history in the place I'm using it...When I pop up somewhere "new" or not used often, they'll usually ask.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Can confirm I’m TSB and it happens to me every couple of weeks. Maybe Insane is using the pin often enough to not run up enough consecutive contactless payments to trigger it?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:50 pm

jimbo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:44 pm
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Can confirm I’m TSB and it happens to me every couple of weeks. Maybe Insane is using the pin often enough to not run up enough consecutive contactless payments to trigger it?
I don't think so. At least one of my cards after initial activation has never been in a cash machine or a PIN machine....

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:50 pm
jimbo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:44 pm
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I don't think so. At least one of my cards after initial activation has never been in a cash machine or a PIN machine....
Possibly a very strange quirk then. I could understand if it was just one card, but for 3 banks to be the same is weird.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:34 pm

Seen today on BBC News: The average price of a packet of cigarettes today is £14-39. :shock:
Way back when we were kids. My dad only ever bought 10 Woodbines; they were One shilling and fourpence halfpenny. I haven't smoked for the best part of 15 years (cost played a big part in packing in) but I dread to think what it would have cost me if I had carried on, because I was a 40 per day man.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:15 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:34 pm
Seen today on BBC News: The average price of a packet of cigarettes today is £14-39. :shock:
Way back when we were kids. My dad only ever bought 10 Woodbines; they were One shilling and fourpence halfpenny. I haven't smoked for the best part of 15 years (cost played a big part in packing in) but I dread to think what it would have cost me if I had carried on, because I was a 40 per day man.
When I quit smoking in 2005 I opened a bank account and put the money I would have spent on cigarettes into it. At the time I was spending roughly £30 a week on ciggies.

That account has subsequently taken me to watch Bolton in Portugal (Vittoria Guiomaraes), Germany (Bayern Munich) and Spain (Atletico Madrid) and paid for a whole host of races around UK and Europe. Best thing I ever did. :mrgreen:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:27 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:34 pm
Most are £11-£12, although I haven't checked if cvunt put them up in the budget yet.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:31 am

Yep, they've gone up. Most are now £12-£13. with so called premium brands around £15.

As a retailer I hate them. Thousands of pounds tied up in them and they carry a margin of around 3-4% for most. If you must damage your internals then at least vape as I can at least earn a decent wedge out of it :mrgreen:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:16 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:31 am
Yep, they've gone up. Most are now £12-£13. with so called premium brands around £15.

As a retailer I hate them. Thousands of pounds tied up in them and they carry a margin of around 3-4% for most. If you must damage your internals then at least vape as I can at least earn a decent wedge out of it :mrgreen:
I was gonna say it’s rare I see anyone smoking actual ciggies now. Everyone seems to be vaping now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:16 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I was gonna say it’s rare I see anyone smoking actual ciggies now. Everyone seems to be vaping now.
Rolling your own (* something I did for years) still seems popular? Back in time, I always imagined one day sitting in the sun with a pipe full of tobacco as my old-age dream. As usual, the financial law (charge em more, give em less) still applies as strongly as ever.

I wonder how much the economy would suffer if the whole country stopped smoking overnight? Do you imagine the department of Ag and Fish and co, tobacco industries and would be pleased, not to mention unemployment and a few "It wasn't my fault! " M.P's...A sudden glut of Bentleys, yachts and villas in the sun, for sale no doubt.. :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:51 am

From the Tobacco Manufacturers industry:

Tobacco manufacturers contribute approximately £11.5 billion every year to the UK Exchequer in tobacco taxes (including VAT). Since 2000, the tobacco industry has contributed more than £180 billion in tax revenue to the UK Exchequer.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:53 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Rolling your own (* something I did for years) still seems popular? Back in time, I always imagined one day sitting in the sun with a pipe full of tobacco as my old-age dream. As usual, the financial law (charge em more, give em less) still applies as strongly as ever.

I wonder how much the economy would suffer if the whole country stopped smoking overnight? Do you imagine the department of Ag and Fish and co, tobacco industries and would be pleased, not to mention unemployment and a few "It wasn't my fault! " M.P's...A sudden glut of Bentleys, yachts and villas in the sun, for sale no doubt.. :lol:
That's why they'll never ban it outright TD. Still too much money in it. It would help the NHS enormously too but where's the use in that?

For me the Vape 'trend' is another ticking time bomb as far as public health is concerned.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I sell significantly more ciggies than vapes. Probably 100-1. They should just ban both, or at least tax them enough to cover the NHS costs down the line and ring fence the tax.