General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:34 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:28 pm
Best wishes to Mrs Monty, Monty. Hope all goes well with the op.
Operation (which turned out to be a total replacement of the artificial hip) went well and she was actually released the following day (Saturday night). Currently the physio is here and the nurse expected this pm. So all good so far.
Good news, Monty! Here's to a speedy full recovery!
Seconded to that. Best wishes Monty to you both .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:06 pm

You'd need a functional criminal justice system for that, like.

Add it to the list.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:17 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68632034

I was always under the impression that the customer (us) picked the product not Nike.(An American company) where our national kit designs were concerned? What happened to English pride? And £125 for a football shirt with half the world starving ?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:48 am

I'll be getting the kids ones from Jonny Chinese WhatsApp - £65 for the kids shirt and it's not even the same ones the players wear. £120 for that one!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:49 pm

Ridiculous. But the notion that it's been picked by Nike is probably only partially correct. Some dick in the FA has sanctioned it.

St George's cross needs no embellishment. Get it canned.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:49 pm
Ridiculous. But the notion that it's been picked by Nike is probably only partially correct. Some dick in the FA has sanctioned it.

St George's cross needs no embellishment. Get it canned.
There'll be money involved at the back of it somewhere you can bet. The F.A are defending their actions with a "METHINKS THE LADY DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH tenacity.

History has it that the red cross initially was to differentiate England from France in the Jerusalem Crusade wars against Salah-ud- din and later combined with St Andrew's cross to form the Union Flag. What's a thousand years of tradition against the might of the F.A..?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:59 pm

Why do people give a shite now, but haven't done previously when they've changed the colours of the cross?

It's because bell-ends like Lee Anderson, Nigel Farage and the other faux-flagshaggers have a larger platform now. Ridiculous really. We've gone backwards as a country

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:12 pm

They've dicked around with it loads before. Plenty of them haven't had it on at all.

I think to have a bit of a rant on the internet but it shouldn't be actual news.

The price on the other hand...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:22 pm

Yup. I've finally been persuaded of something by Farage/Anderson (not) 🤣🤣🤣

Wasn't even aware they'd mentioned it (but not surprised that they may have)

I also wasn't enamoured with other obvious alterations. No need.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:16 am

On a slightly different tract and as not much of a "royalist," maybe the fcuking worms will give the woman a break now. The public interest and the public are interested clearly gets mixed up somewhere.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:50 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:16 am
On a slightly different tract and as not much of a "royalist," maybe the fcuking worms will give the woman a break now. The public interest and the public are interested clearly gets mixed up somewhere.
It would be less than Christian of me to comment on the important difference between the words "all, and some" that affect life in general when dealing with public opinion on most things. The "Royals " are but people after all and as such are entitled to privacy where family and health affairs are concerned. It is the "some" element that turn the screw the wrong way. May we wish the Princess off Wales well and a speedy recovery. She is without a doubt one of the more likeable members of the said "Royals".

ae:) ae:)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:42 pm

I coach my son’s u8 team. This morning, one of our lads was racially abused by another kid from the opposition team. He was called an “f-in black monkey” the kids parent heard it and she went absolutely wild at him naturally. Turns out she’s a deputy head teacher and she was genuinely saddened, appalled and angry (an understatement)

Our lad and his dad broke down in tears.

This other lad has obviously not been brought up that way, but it made me think of the influence that our daily life has on people and kids are no different. We have actual racists in positions of authority in our country and these people are on the news, on chat shows, on day time tv, morning shows etc. dog whistling to the other racists who support them.

What feck* chance have we got. It’s sad and I’m feck* fed up with it

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:16 am
Well quite. Maybe the weirdos who obsess about these people and spread complete nonsense online will reflect along with the media hounds. But I doubt it.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:31 pm

The real stupidity is those that will pay out that sort of money for a bloody football shirt, then moan about the cost of living.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:29 am

boltonboris wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:42 pm
I coach my son’s u8 team. This morning, one of our lads was racially abused by another kid from the opposition team. He was called an “f-in black monkey” the kids parent heard it and she went absolutely wild at him naturally. Turns out she’s a deputy head teacher and she was genuinely saddened, appalled and angry (an understatement)

This other lad has obviously not been brought up that way, but it made me think of the influence that our daily life has on people and kids are no different. We have actual racists in positions of authority in our country and these people are on the news, on chat shows, on day time tv, morning shows etc. dog whistling to the other racists who support them.

That’s horrendous! U8 level! Kids aren’t born racist. That lad has obviously heard it from somewhere. Heartbreaking.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:56 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:29 am
boltonboris wrote:

That’s horrendous! U8 level! Kids aren’t born racist. That lad has obviously heard it from somewhere. Heartbreaking.
No, no one is born racist or a criminal G.G.. But there will always be a racist element, just as there will always be crime, neither are present at birth but a result of what they see and hear as they grow up. . Our prisons are bursting at the seams with non-conformists who live outside any law. Jesus Said, "The sins of the fathers will be visited upon the sons" and thus it has transpired. I worked for quite a few years in Liverpool, Bootle to be exact. This is a true tale I've probably related before:

I once caught two very young kids making off our site with an electric drill and lead. I rang the local police station and asked the copper to give them a talking too and scare them off. The officer asked them what their parents/ brothers and sisters would think about them thieving .The little girl, who was SIX :shock: years old said she couldn't ask her older brother. When asked why she said "He's in Walton prison"... You just give up.... :roll:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:56 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:29 am
boltonboris wrote:

No, no one is born racist or a criminal G.G.. But there will always be a racist element, just as there will always be crime, neither are present at birth but a result of what they see and hear as they grow up. . Our prisons are bursting at the seams with non-conformists who live outside any law. Jesus Said, "The sins of the fathers will be visited upon the sons" and thus it has transpired. I worked for quite a few years in Liverpool, Bootle to be exact. This is a true tale I've probably related before:

I once caught two very young kids making off our site with an electric drill and lead. I rang the local police station and asked the copper to give them a talking too and scare them off. The officer asked them what their parents/ brothers and sisters would think about them thieving .The little girl, who was SIX :shock: years old said she couldn't ask her older brother. When asked why she said "He's in Walton prison"... You just give up.... :roll:

Oh aye, I see it at work all the time. Some kids just don’t stand a chance in life due to how they are being brought up. Not their fault, it’s really sad.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:25 pm

Anyone know anything about building/extensions? Looking at having a small, single storey extension on the the back of our house. Quote for timber build over masonry is at least 10k cheaper. What are the pros and cons of timber?! (Other than it’s cheaper and built quicker!)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:55 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:25 pm
Anyone know anything about building/extensions? Looking at having a small, single storey extension on the the back of our house. Quote for timber build over masonry is at least 10k cheaper. What are the pros and cons of timber?! (Other than it’s cheaper and built quicker!)
Timber is alive all it's life. It also need drying out and treating before use. It would have to be a highly professional job ; beware the cowboys... :wink:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:44 am

It depends what you are using it for. If it's an extension for the likes of a utility room for dryers, freezers etc, I wouldn't go timber, higher fire risk.
Having said that, I moved our freezers and dryer out of the house to a little wooden cabin in the garden but it's away from the house.
The other thing is what it gets built out of may reflect on future sales value.