General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by thebish » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:mr DIY king I am not!! just spend an infeeeeaaaasibly looooooooooong time putting up 3 glass shelves in the living room...

simple job - just six screws would do it... but - what a fecking palava I made it into! - not helped by the crappy hollow crumbly wall that always made the hole slightly too big for the fecking rawlplug..

I think they are secure now - but I'm not gonna put anything on them!

normally I wouldn't be too bothered about shelves falling down - but these are glass - quite large and in the alcove above the telly... I would not be popular were they to come crashing down during the christmas edition of Call the Midwife! :roll:
I'm now concerned about the fire hazard from the candle holders, if this is the current form. :-)
so am I!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:You're not meant to screw load bearing objects to partition walls!

as i said - am not putting anything on them! :wink:

anyway - this is not a partition wall - it's the load-bearing wall - the wall behind which is my neighbour's front room (possibly now with mystery holes on his side!)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:08 pm

I can't understand the mentality of writing off a place as big and as varied as London as a 'shithole'.

What can that possibly mean?

As for the 'dirty' thing... my mum says this too. Is it dirtier than Paris, Rome, Madrid or Amsterdam? I don't think so... it's just a busy city.

But like Pru says, it really makes you appreciate the time you spend out of the grime and bustle that comes with living and working in a big city.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Oh goody, a "What does that possibly mean?" question. :-)

It means I think it's like a shithole (in my case). I'm not sure how I could arrange the sentence differently to assist your understanding.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Oh goody, a "What does that possibly mean?" question. :-)

It means I think it's like a shithole (in my case). I'm not sure how I could arrange the sentence differently to assist your understanding.
If I asked for a definition of 'shithole' I'd get a deliberately obtuse answer, wouldn't I?!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:31 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Oh goody, a "What does that possibly mean?" question. :-)

If I asked for a definition of 'shithole' I'd get a deliberately obtuse answer, wouldn't I?!
No, you'd just not get a lawyers definition.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:23 am

I've never wanted to live in London - and I've lived in Bolton on four separate occasions, and was happy to find myself back here in 1990, and am now in my third residence. With no intention of moving.

But I love visiting London - for the theatre, the cultural life, the galleries, the excellent pubs, restaurants etc. And I'm really ready, after about four days, to get out the place. It's too hard, too crowded, too unremitting.

My daughter lives in london and adores it. Her partner also. And she does the food, drinks theatre - and, indeed, the Wanderers whenever we play in London. She's 32... I'm not!

If I compare it to other capital cities I know, for the things that matter to me, I'd place it as better than Khartoum and Amsterdam, on a par with Paris and - just about - Madrid, though if I had to choose where to live I'd put Madrid above London. I think Rome beats it, and I'm very fond of Prague, Lisbon and Dublin.

I really want to visit Berlin and Istanbul - one of them next year. Anyone know these cities and can offer advice, I'd be pleased to hear it.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:50 am

William the White wrote: I think Rome beats it,
I love Rome, but I know native Romans who live in London and tell me that the cultural side of the city is very poor compared to London in terms of live music, theatre and cabaret.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:58 am

I always wanted to live in London, but when the opportunity finally arrived i was too settled in the North.

Having worked here for a few years now we’ve deliberated about moving down but ultimately decided against it.

It’s a great city, to label it a shithole is the sort of ignorant moronic comment i might have put 2 years ago having only previously visited the tourist spots and football grounds. Its stunning, and you see something new and beautiful every day. I would agree the west end, Soho etc is a bit grubby and overbearing but the city is so vast and diverse ive been blown away by it. It’s also buzzing, I still love the fact you can go out on a Monday or Tuesday night and its grooving like a Saturday night anywhere else in the country.

Alas, the decision not to move is basically the house prices. I’d rather own acres up north than a terraced house down here. I like the idea of the kids growing up in London, but it’d have to be a semi affluent area and that just wouldn’t be affordable. I quite like my lifestyle atm anyway, i have the fabulous big city bachelor life during the week, out most nights doing different things. Then i retire to the northern countryside at the weekends, spend time with the family, take my bike out in the hills, country pubs, watch the wanderers etc.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:22 am

Depends on the person, shirley. What they want from where they live.

It's got lots of things to do in it. But i dunno, there seems to be a sinisterness and vacuousness about everything that I don't like.

Personally, you couldn't drag me back north fast enough

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:34 am

Well its been another slow news week where I live...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:18 am

it's morning - shelves are still up! :shock:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:20 am

thebish wrote:it's morning - shelves are still up! :shock:
Tell the missus to be careful when she does the dusting!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:22 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
thebish wrote:it's morning - shelves are still up! :shock:
Tell the missus to be careful when she does the dusting!
I think the dust landing on them in the first place might be a problem.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:51 am

General Mannerheim wrote:I always wanted to live in London, but when the opportunity finally arrived i was too settled in the North.

Having worked here for a few years now we’ve deliberated about moving down but ultimately decided against it.

It’s a great city, to label it a shithole is the sort of ignorant moronic comment i might have put 2 years ago having only previously visited the tourist spots and football grounds. Its stunning, and you see something new and beautiful every day. I would agree the west end, Soho etc is a bit grubby and overbearing but the city is so vast and diverse ive been blown away by it. It’s also buzzing, I still love the fact you can go out on a Monday or Tuesday night and its grooving like a Saturday night anywhere else in the country.

Alas, the decision not to move is basically the house prices. I’d rather own acres up north than a terraced house down here. I like the idea of the kids growing up in London, but it’d have to be a semi affluent area and that just wouldn’t be affordable. I quite like my lifestyle atm anyway, i have the fabulous big city bachelor life during the week, out most nights doing different things. Then i retire to the northern countryside at the weekends, spend time with the family, take my bike out in the hills, country pubs, watch the wanderers etc.
Yep, your balance sounds just about perfect and I know a few others from the Stoke area who do similar.

Well put, by the way!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:03 am

risked putting a couple of nativity sets on said shelves...

the bigger one is the one that spotty rescued from the raffle last year and very kindly sent to me! it's made of rolled up newspaper straws and balsa wood...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:07 am

Aye sounds pretty good what you have going on GM.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:31 am

General Mannerheim wrote:I always wanted to live in London, but when the opportunity finally arrived i was too settled in the North.

So let me get this right, labelling it a shithole is ignorant and moronic, whereas labelling it as buzzing and grooving is proof perfect. :roll:

I spot from your post that you "always wanted to live in London", so it's fairly likely that your viewpoint is somewhat coloured by this, whereas there isn't anything I could immediately think of that anyone could give me that'd make me want to live there (or in fairness most other cities).

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:09 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Well its been another slow news week where I live...

That's proper news that is GG. I can imagine the 'tut' 'tutting', growing louder and louder from the indigenous (& mainly elderly), populace... :)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:11 pm

thebish wrote:risked putting a couple of nativity sets on said shelves...

the bigger one is the one that spotty rescued from the raffle last year and very kindly sent to me! it's made of rolled up newspaper straws and balsa wood...

It looks good bish. I'm glad it found a decent home.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください