General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:05 pm

William the White wrote:I clocked it when it was at the Cornerhouse but didn't see it. I know you rate it and will certainly catch it at some time...
Ha - I'm worried that I've built it up too much and you'll find it mind-numbingly insubstantial now.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:06 pm

boltonboris wrote:What about us inbetweeners who think that Worthy IS a moron, but thinks London ISN'T a shithole?
Hmmm, inbetweeners. In my day, they'd have been flogged.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:06 pm

I wouldn't fetch much in fairness
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:07 pm

William the White wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Good, that's ok then. London is a shithole. ;-)
There are mules of great and obdurate age who have learned after years of trial and error that there is one stubborn bastard you should not start an argument with... :roll:
One, Will, ONE? This place is fxcking full of em. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:
There are mules of great and obdurate age who have learned after years of trial and error that there is one stubborn bastard you should not start an argument with... :roll:
That migh have been a generalisation, Tango.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:12 pm

I did decide to abort this particular dicussion earlier than usual on this occasion!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:
That migh have been a generalisation, Tango.
:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:00 pm

WARNING: DO NOT GO TO SHAFTSBURY AVENUE, nuclear bomb detonated.
Just sat through 10 minutes of hysterical live broadcast from the BBC...
:roll:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:04 pm

What?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:13 pm

mrkint wrote:What?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25458009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Fifty minutes they've been banging on now.
The BBC are going to look like complete tits when the casualty list bottoms out at two bandaged heads.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 pm

... It's been more than an hour now of live broadcast, what is basically bullshit on behalf of the anchors, over what is in effect a bit of a plaster fall. A.maze.ing
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm

This really is being hyped beyond belief now. Fecking ridiculous. I'm losing the will to live, but am determined to outlast this fecking broadcast. Wait, breaking news, new footage of people with bandages... seriously shocking scenes. Oh, back to the loop of a police officer looking bored. No, stop, they've decided to show us some weather... maybe Islington is under threat of a cloud...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:15 pm

i don't know why anyone watches the news - do you not have radios? by the time it's on the telly it's old, surely?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:42 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:This really is being hyped beyond belief now. Fecking ridiculous. I'm losing the will to live, but am determined to outlast this fecking broadcast. Wait, breaking news, new footage of people with bandages... seriously shocking scenes. Oh, back to the loop of a police officer looking bored. No, stop, they've decided to show us some weather... maybe Islington is under threat of a cloud...

So 76 people injured, 7 seriously isn't newsworthy? More of your anti- London bollocks. Were you as critical when a helicopter fell on Glasgow?

That went on for days!

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:51 am

thebish wrote:i don't know why anyone watches the news - do you not have radios? by the time it's on the telly it's old, surely?
24 hour news channels like Sky News would have live coverage.....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:This really is being hyped beyond belief now. Fecking ridiculous. I'm losing the will to live, but am determined to outlast this fecking broadcast. Wait, breaking news, new footage of people with bandages... seriously shocking scenes. Oh, back to the loop of a police officer looking bored. No, stop, they've decided to show us some weather... maybe Islington is under threat of a cloud...

So 76 people injured, 7 seriously isn't newsworthy? More of your anti- London bollocks. Were you as critical when a helicopter fell on Glasgow?

That went on for days!
GtE did you see the actual broadcast that went on completely uninterrupted by anything at all for one hour and 42 minutes. Did you?
For over an hour there was a stock photo of the Apollo stuck there with the solemn (hilarious actually) intonations of one lone newsreader trying, desperately trying (and failing miserably) to sound in the slightest bit professional.

It went something like this:

Errrr, yes. Breaking errrrr news. Collapse of the Apollo. Ceiling. Steel girders and plaster. *silence* Walking wounded being taken to the Geilgud, and we have exclusive interview with a Mr (name supplied)
Newsreader: Errr tell us what happened
Mr: my daughter's traumatised
Newsreader: were you there. In the theatre when the girders collapsed
Mr: plaster. lots of dust. But no we got out immediately. In fact we were already leaving because people were pointing
Newsreader: so could you see through the ceiling
Mr: errr no. My eldest daughter hurt her wrist. It was traumatic.
Newsreader: how old is your daughter?
Mr: 37
Newsreader: errrrr, thank you. As you heard there children and the elderly trapped under the debris. Can you pass your phone to somebody else
Mr: No, certainly not. I'm off home now.
Newsreader: a statement. Yes. From the errr. Can you repeat that. London errr Fire Brigade. No body trapped. Eight fire engines in attendance building made safe. Wood and errr plaster fell. Not girders apparently. Just the very ornate plaster that I've admired so often...

It was the sort of live rolling coverage you might expect when Parliament is being stormed by gun wielding fanatics. You don't get continuous rolling footage of motorway pile-ups or to take your example the helicopter crashing onto the Clutha. You might be right that the helicopter incident was featured too much, I'm not disputing that, but last night's story was worth at the very most half the time of the news - not all of it continually for nearly two hours - especially when they hadn't got a clue as to what had happened.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:52 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

That went on for days!
GtE did you see the actual broadcast that went on completely uninterrupted by anything at all for one hour and 42 minutes. Did you?
For over an hour there was a stock photo of the Apollo stuck there with the solemn (hilarious actually) intonations of one lone newsreader trying, desperately trying (and failing miserably) to sound in the slightest bit professional.

It went something like this:

Errrr, yes. Breaking errrrr news. Collapse of the Apollo. Ceiling. Steel girders and plaster. *silence* Walking wounded being taken to the Geilgud, and we have exclusive interview with a Mr (name supplied)
Newsreader: Errr tell us what happened
Mr: my daughter's traumatised
Newsreader: were you there. In the theatre when the girders collapsed
Mr: plaster. lots of dust. But no we got out immediately. In fact we were already leaving because people were pointing
Newsreader: so could you see through the ceiling
Mr: errr no. My eldest daughter hurt her wrist. It was traumatic.
Newsreader: how old is your daughter?
Mr: 37
Newsreader: errrrr, thank you. As you heard there children and the elderly trapped under the debris. Can you pass your phone to somebody else
Mr: No, certainly not. I'm off home now.
Newsreader: a statement. Yes. From the errr. Can you repeat that. London errr Fire Brigade. No body trapped. Eight fire engines in attendance building made safe. Wood and errr plaster fell. Not girders apparently. Just the very ornate plaster that I've admired so often...

It was the sort of live rolling coverage you might expect when Parliament is being stormed by gun wielding fanatics. You don't get continuous rolling footage of motorway pile-ups or to take your example the helicopter crashing onto the Clutha. You might be right that the helicopter incident was featured too much, I'm not disputing that, but last night's story was worth at the very most half the time of the news - not all of it continually for nearly two hours - especially when they hadn't got a clue as to what had happened.

Very droll. And they had no more clue than you yet you see fit to play it down as another over-hyped southern media biased hissy fit over nothing. As I said 70 odd injured but that's not worthy of news coverage in your opinion? You're all heart. Do you just have the one channel on your tv? If not, why not switch over? If so, why not switch off?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:02 am

Gary the Enfield wrote: Very droll. And they had no more clue than you yet you see fit to play it down as another over-hyped southern media biased hissy fit over nothing. As I said 70 odd injured but that's not worthy of news coverage in your opinion? You're all heart. Do you just have the one channel on your tv? If not, why not switch over? If so, why not switch off?
Let's get this straight. I did not, nor do I, think it was not worthy of news coverage.
What it was not, it was not worthy of live uninterrupted rolling news coverage. The ONLY reason it got that was because of where it was. If exactly the same thing had occurred in a theatre in Swindon we'd have had a reasonable five minutes out of each sixty on it.

Also, I continued to watch it because my missus just couldn't believe they were still broadcasting beyond ten minutes and insisted on watching it out to see at what point they were going to abandon the story. I admit I got dragged into the 'game' because their attempts to big it up were getting so desperate it was fascinating.

As for being all heart, I'm sorry for those that were properly injured, but the seventy walking wounded were just that - a bit of dust coughed up, minor cuts etc. - so what: I'm not going to beat myself up about it, it happens everyday somewhere.

And as for hissy fits - looks like you're having one over me having one. :P
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:19 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote: Very droll. And they had no more clue than you yet you see fit to play it down as another over-hyped southern media biased hissy fit over nothing. As I said 70 odd injured but that's not worthy of news coverage in your opinion? You're all heart. Do you just have the one channel on your tv? If not, why not switch over? If so, why not switch off?
Let's get this straight. I did not, nor do I, think it was not worthy of news coverage.
What it was not, it was not worthy of live uninterrupted rolling news coverage. The ONLY reason it got that was because of where it was. If exactly the same thing had occurred in a theatre in Swindon we'd have had a reasonable five minutes out of each sixty on it.

Also, I continued to watch it because my missus just couldn't believe they were still broadcasting beyond ten minutes and insisted on watching it out to see at what point they were going to abandon the story. I admit I got dragged into the 'game' because their attempts to big it up were getting so desperate it was fascinating.

As for being all heart, I'm sorry for those that were properly injured, but the seventy walking wounded were just that - a bit of dust coughed up, minor cuts etc. - so what: I'm not going to beat myself up about it, it happens everyday somewhere.

And as for hissy fits - looks like you're having one over me having one. :P

It's more pity, to be honest. :wink: