General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:I use, well used mostly these days as the twins are pretty much potty trained :( reusable nappies, and so belong to a few buying and selling groups on facebook (yes, I know...) Anyway, one went for the other day for £40! For a nappy! :shock: I'm thinking of starting a new business. Easy money!
urrgh. Other people's? :shock:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Missus GD has a bale of the things in the loft. Non of the kids wanted anything else but plastic paper lined things so they've been up there about twenty years. Might have found a source for my next bottle or two of malt.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Top Story on BBC News

999 CALLS UP AS POLUTION ENDS WORLD.

London Ambulance Service said it had received 227 emergency calls for patients with breathing problems on Wednesday, up from an average of 200.

That looks statistically insignificant to me, and that's with the news stories making people potentially more likely to call!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Doesn't it piss you off that all this global warming guff has cost us money and jobs and lots od euro-enforced legislation and this current bout of pollution has been "Sucked in" from a Europe direction. Are we the only ones with plans to cut pollution while the rest of the world give us the finger? 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Gravedigger wrote:Doesn't it piss you off that all this global warming guff has cost us money and jobs and lots od euro-enforced legislation and this current bout of pollution has been "Sucked in" from a Europe direction. Are we the only ones with plans to cut pollution while the rest of the world give us the finger? 8)
It does seem like that, doesn't it.

Meanwhile, yesterday, on't wireless, I heard an interview where two people were frantically trying to make an issue of this 'pollution'. Then someone said "if this is an 8, or a 9' what scale are we using ? Coz I've worked in Eastern Europe and Mexico and China and what we have today is nothing compared with that." He went on to ask if the levels were on an exponential rating (as the Earthquake, Richter scale is). The 'expert' didn't know.

He then accepted the scales he was using, compared with 'real' pollution were quite different. "Oh no, not at all like China. This would barely be a 3 ... a 2 probably, compared with there".

This didn't suit the interview at all. Had it not been a deliberate band-waggoning to try to make a big news item out of nothing he should have asked what the fuss was all about. He didn't coz he had a need to justify his agenda.

You'd expect people to be dropping like flies according to the alarmist bullshit we're being fed.

Where's that angry thread ???? Or Spotty's weather thread ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm

The BBC love to run bollocks like that Bobo. Remember bird flu? The nhs spent millions in anticipation of a global pandemic predicted and ramped up by 5 Live's Peter Allen .

An item to fill a slow news day was allowed to spiral out of control.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Like the buggers now have agreed to have plain packaged ciggies. Won't stop people buying them but I should imagine a number of jobs will be lost in the printing/packaging/inking/manufacturing sectors. Then once that's done it'll be booze sold in blank tins, but on the other side of the coin Piza places, McDs and KFC will still be brightly coloured beacons of obesity and unhealthy products. 8)

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:38 am

I'm with you on that, Gravedigger. We've had plain packaging for a while now; what a waste of time. The anti-smoking lobby is shouting from the roof tops that it's working. It's not. The proportion of smokers in the population has been dropping for years (I think it's less than 20% these days) and any perceived drop in the statistics seems to be natural progression and nowt to do with packaging changes. Add to that the situation where the impost (excise) on tobacco products is adjusted (upwards) in line with each consumer price index change and I'll guarantee that it's pure financial pressure driving it. This was the previous government's idea; price the stuff out of the reach of the ordinary man and woman. The result of course is predictable - the illegal tobacco industry is flourishing!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 am

Bijou Bob wrote:The BBC love to run bollocks like that Bobo. Remember bird flu? The nhs spent millions in anticipation of a global pandemic predicted and ramped up by 5 Live's Peter Allen .

Meanwhile, on the local news, a wheezy fat kid was kept in at play time because when he breathed in he ''felt dust at the back of his throat''. They even had a strategically placed inhaler on his desk. Dust? It's smoggy London not fecking Pompeii :twisted:

This was in a school literally ON the North Circular Road (bar a 2 metre wide footway). They're even talking about planting trees to combat the pollution. They'd have to plant Sherwood Forest to combat the normal emissions on this stretch of the NCR. You'd be at risk of outlaws then as well as lead poisoning.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:58 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:The BBC love to run bollocks like that Bobo. Remember bird flu? The nhs spent millions in anticipation of a global pandemic predicted and ramped up by 5 Live's Peter Allen .

Meanwhile, on the local news, a wheezy fat kid was kept in at play time because when he breathed in he ''felt dust at the back of his throat''. They even had a strategically placed inhaler on his desk. Dust? It's smoggy London not fecking Pompeii :twisted:
This was in a school literally ON the North Circular Road (bar a 2 metre wide footway). They're even talking about planting trees to combat the pollution. They'd have to plant Sherwood Forest to combat the normal emissions on this stretch of the NCR. You'd be at risk of outlaws then as well as lead poisoning.
Haa. Brilliant.

I see "experts" today are warning us that there will be more of these "killer clouds".

This is the reason so many now reject dire warnings from so called experts who are largely in it to perpetuate their own careers. .... & the meeja seems to learn no lessons at all.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 am

Gravedigger wrote:Like the buggers now have agreed to have plain packaged ciggies. Won't stop people buying them but I should imagine a number of jobs will be lost in the printing/packaging/inking/manufacturing sectors. Then once that's done it'll be booze sold in blank tins, but on the other side of the coin Piza places, McDs and KFC will still be brightly coloured beacons of obesity and unhealthy products. 8)
What about those poor sods in the supermarkets? They've already got to have them stupid screens so you can't actually see if they've got the right cigs. Now they won't have a fcking clue which is which. "I'll have 10 B&H silver luv." "Errrr...."

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:06 pm

If the packages are plain, how do you know they are not counterfeit? Or do they mean a level of "Plainness" that is acceptable to our government grannies. If they had the balls and the courage of their convictions they would ban tobacco and make every smoker use those e-things. On the one hand, pensions, they say too many people are living longer, and on the other hand, tobacco, too many people are dying early. Most of my shopping, and I have very little choice in fact, is laced with sugar, salt, E numbers, fat, transfat, oils, traces of nuts in something that was never near a nut, mechanically separated meat and chicken. I buy a small item and the label and packaging has to be ten times the size to contain all the ingredients and traffic light health indicators or government health warnings. Closing down all these quango type agencies would save a fortune and I could become a fat bastard at my leisure. Wouldn't have happened in the 50s. Packet of Woodbines and a box of matches for a tanner (2.5 pence) and then a crafty puff behind the bike sheds. 8)

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Pretty scary this - just had to tell my mum to get rid of a bottle of Glen's vodka. What a waste I hear you cry.....Well she asked me to smell it because she thought it didn't taste right last time she had a glass and she was bloody right, it smelt like acetone. I had a look at the bottle and the label on the back was peeling off slightly and stuck on wonky. Horrible to think what could have happened had she had another glass :|

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:15 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:Pretty scary this - just had to tell my mum to get rid of a bottle of Glen's vodka. What a waste I hear you cry.....Well she asked me to smell it because she thought it didn't taste right last time she had a glass and she was bloody right, it smelt like acetone. I had a look at the bottle and the label on the back was peeling off slightly and stuck on wonky. Horrible to think what could have happened had she had another glass :|
Unfortunately this is more common than you may think. In my previous section at work, we "visted" (ahem) premises that dealt with or sold booze and if dodgy then we seized it. Glens Vodka in offies was usually counterfeit. When Trading Standards joined us on "visits" :wink: , they found loads of it had Anti-freeze in it. Its proper scary

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:13 pm

wigan white wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote:Pretty scary this - just had to tell my mum to get rid of a bottle of Glen's vodka. What a waste I hear you cry.....Well she asked me to smell it because she thought it didn't taste right last time she had a glass and she was bloody right, it smelt like acetone. I had a look at the bottle and the label on the back was peeling off slightly and stuck on wonky. Horrible to think what could have happened had she had another glass :|
Unfortunately this is more common than you may think. In my previous section at work, we "visted" (ahem) premises that dealt with or sold booze and if dodgy then we seized it. Glens Vodka in offies was usually counterfeit. When Trading Standards joined us on "visits" :wink: , they found loads of it had Anti-freeze in it. Its proper scary
Horrible, I couldn't place the smell and the closest I could get was acetone but now you've said anti-freeze I think that's what it was. That section may want to make a "visit" to the offie on Gilnow Road in Bolton!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Get 'em reported! No fecking about with stuff like that, the next person might not be so lucky.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:Get 'em reported! No fecking about with stuff like that, the next person might not be so lucky.
Yup.

100%

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:45 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:
wigan white wrote:
Horrible, I couldn't place the smell and the closest I could get was acetone but now you've said anti-freeze I think that's what it was. That section may want to make a "visit" to the offie on Gilnow Road in Bolton!
Unfortunately due to "Governmental" changes and a merger with another Governmental dept, that section doesnt do that stuff any more, as they didnt think it was worthwhile??? Hence me moving section. You should contact the Police as they will definitely be interested in it. Its really bad stuff. And is rife through most of the NW, especially round Salford, Farnworth and Walkden areas.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:25 pm

fecking Hell :shock:

For those not familiar with acetone it's a solvent that's more commonly sold as nail varnish remover. In a past life I used to sell tanker loads of it to a makeup producer in Skelmersdale for them to be able to clean their mixing vats with. Further, it's miscible with water and being as it's no dearer than paint thinners (which is another purpose of it) in bulk it's very easy for con artists to bottle and yo then pass off as vodka.

Be careful out there, people. Please.

Hope your mum didn't drink any, 89. Worth getting her checked out if she has.
May the bridges I burn light your way

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
fecking Hell :shock:

For those not familiar with acetone it's a solvent that's more commonly sold as nail varnish remover. In a past life I used to sell tanker loads of it to a makeup producer in Skelmersdale for them to be able to clean their mixing vats with. Further, it's miscible with water and being as it's no dearer than paint thinners (which is another purpose of it) in bulk it's very easy for con artists to bottle and yo then pass off as vodka.

Be careful out there, people. Please.

Hope your mum didn't drink any, 89. Worth getting her checked out if she has.
These forgers really are risking peoples lives but they probably don't care too much. The fake Glens Vodka even has its own Wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen%27s_Vodka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the- ... ke-alcohol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drinkaware wrote:Properly produced and certified alcoholic drinks are made with ethanol – alcohol that’s safe to drink in moderation. But fake alcoholic drinks can be produced using other cheaper types of alcohol which can have serious adverse effects on your health.

Drinkaware’s Chief Medical Advisor Professor Paul Wallace explains: “Commonly used substitutes for ethanol include chemicals used in cleaning fluids, nail polish remover and automobile screen wash, as well as methanol and isopropanol which are used in antifreeze and some fuels. These other types of alcohol can produce similar effects to ethanol in terms of making you feel tipsy. But they are also potentially very dangerous.”

Drinking alcohol containing these chemicals can cause nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, drowsiness and dizziness. Drinking it can lead to kidney or liver problems and even coma. Methanol, the substance which has been found in fake vodka can cause permanent blindness.
If you still have the empty bottle you should be able to confirm it is fake by looking at the markings on the bottom. There is also a link to Trading Standards to report any counterfeit Glen's Vodka near the bottom.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... /feb/vodka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.