General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I worked in Hawthorns. We used to get ace lock ins 'til well into sunday morning. The longest I managed was lunchtime...some made it til teatime!. And then on the way home, we used to get a curry where the taxi drivers did. At 8, 9, 10 in the morning...

Ah, Memories!
When was that LK, pre-makeover I'm guessing? You may well have served me. And I you, if you frequented the Old 3 in the mid 90s.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:52 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Donaghys has definitely been flattened Monty, for the skate park as Bruce said. Along with a couple of shops including Discovery records.
Then they should take off their currewnt ads which are all over the internet!
E.G.:

http://bolton.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/do ... 21514.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thetimenow.com/united_kingdo ... ar-2060696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://bolton.enquira.co.uk/arts-entert ... l1796.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.british-pubs.com/pub_details ... naghys-Bar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:31 am

Google + Monty = knows better than everybody else.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:02 am

boltonboris wrote:Google + Monty = knows better than everybody else.
Alas, t'internet is often wrong and I know little of Great Moor Street pubs.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:22 am

Maybe we should take an oath, to adhere to Tony Coffey's script Google hiatus. But then, we'd probably have nothing to talk about....
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:07 am

Lord Kangana wrote:I worked in Hawthorns. We used to get ace lock ins 'til well into sunday morning. The longest I managed was lunchtime...some made it til teatime!. And then on the way home, we used to get a curry where the taxi drivers did. At 8, 9, 10 in the morning...

Ah, Memories!
Did Gay Nuttall have it then, LK? (That's someone else that I've lost touch with). She also owned another bar underneath what's now Barclay's Bank by the side of the Town Hall.

First time I went in Hawthorns when it was a piano bar, Peter Reid and Adrian Heath were sat beyond a velvet rope having a nosebag and a bottle of champagne.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:35 am

My Saturday night trawl would be:

Dog and Partridge, then up the hill to the Brass Cat and the Blue Boar? Boar's Head? across Churchgate into the Man & Scythe then the Swan (sometimes I'd do Saturday afternoons in the cellar where they had a rock dj then purchase a 4 pack of Breaker and go and sit on the Town Hall Steps).

After the Swan it would be a jaunt over to Sundowners for more Rock Mayhem until I would Stumble home around 2 a.m.

Happy days.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Ah, Memories!
Did Gay Nuttall have it then, LK? (That's someone else that I've lost touch with). She also owned another bar underneath what's now Barclay's Bank by the side of the Town Hall.

First time I went in Hawthorns when it was a piano bar, Peter Reid and Adrian Heath were sat beyond a velvet rope having a nosebag and a bottle of champagne.
Oscar's?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:48 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Ah, Memories!

Oscar's?
Get in, LeverEnd. :pissed:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Hawthorns was near the Nevada?

Was it the White Lion or the Gipsy's Tent then?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:25 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Hawthorns was near the Nevada?
Was it the White Lion or the Gipsy's Tent then?
Neither Gary. Forgot what Hawthorns was before it became that, but it was right across the road from the Navada. Gypsy's tent top of the brew that led down to the Infirmary, White Lion round the corner near Moor Lane bus station , next to where the coach trips (Tattersalls?) used to set off from. I used to play golf at Deane with George Pension, the White Lion landlord at one time.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:37 pm

If you stood at the front door with the Gypsy's Tent behind you and looked to the right, Hawthorns was on the bit of land between Spa Road and the other one which forks away from it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:44 pm

LeverEnd wrote:If you stood at the front door with the Gypsy's Tent behind you and looked to the right, Hawthorns was on the bit of land between Spa Road and the other one which forks away from it.
Exactly. You could fling a welly from outside the Tent and hit a hooray staggering out of Hawthorns. :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote:If you stood at the front door with the Gypsy's Tent behind you and looked to the right, Hawthorns was on the bit of land between Spa Road and the other one which forks away from it.

Aaah. Nope. None the wiser.

Incidentally the White Lion was my first ever drink in town. I was 15 at the time and had borrowed my dad's blue velvet jacket to go with my stretch jeans and cowboy boots. Proper grown up I looked too. :grin:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Incidentally the White Lion was my first ever drink in town. I was 15 at the time and had borrowed my dad's blue velvet jacket to go with my stretch jeans and cowboy boots. Proper grown up I looked too. :grin:
:lol: Now there's an image.

Lower Nags Head for my first self bought underage pint iirc. I presume it's just a basement store for Marks and Sparks now.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't The Church on Trinity Street? :mrgreen:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:36 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't The Church on Trinity Street? :mrgreen:

I was proper dapper I'm telling thee. :oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:47 pm

LeverEnd wrote: Are you sure it wasn't The Church on Trinity Street? :mrgreen:
We used to go in the Church before it became a poofs pub. I think the landlord and landlady were called Ron and Sheila. They moved to Blackpool, I think. Never went in again after though, of course.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote: Are you sure it wasn't The Church on Trinity Street? :mrgreen:
We used to go in the Church before it became a poofs pub. I think the landlord and landlady were called Ron and Sheila. They moved to Blackpool, I think. Never went in again after though, of course.

I always thought the Star and Garter was for men of a certain proclivity?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

The Borough on Bridge Street was my first introduction to the devil juice. Arranged to meet a mate there (already well versed in all the dark arts he was, proper little man of the world) ) and I crawled in nervously under the oilcloth and hovered near the bar corner hoping nobody would notice me. Barman did right away of course and gave me a "what do you want?" jerk of the head. I hadn't a fxcking clue but fortunately my mate stepped up and said "half of mild mate" just in time to save me admitting it. It tasted bloody awful if truth was known. Threlfalls, Cornbrook...? but I held it like a proper little Humphrey Bogart. As if the barman didn't know I was sixteen despite the Woodbine... :lol: