General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Fking Snowflakes.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 pm

With all due respect Monty, but what the f*ck is that vehicle that was meant to be salt spreading? I thought you were a country used to the snow? I've had Tonka trucks look more convincing.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:51 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:With all due respect Monty, but what the f*ck is that vehicle that was meant to be salt spreading? I thought you were a country used to the snow? I've had Tonka trucks look more convincing.
You mean the snow plough? How many times do you get a chance to total a police car with the cops inside? And get off Scot free.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:21 am

There used to be clip of a rogue bin waggon on ice :wink: on here that made that lot look nothing....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... z-siddiqui

If ever the label 'snowflake' was deserved, it's by this feck right here. :crazy: :crazy: :lol:
Graduate sues Oxford University for £1m over his failure to get a first

Faiz Siddiqui claims ‘appallingly bad’ teaching during degree course prevented him from having a successful career
Sounds like there's a case to be had though.
I'm not sure there is. He may well have suffered through poor teaching. Sounds like there may be enough evidence of that. But suggesting that created his mental illness and loss of earnings, is a massive stretch that I don't believe a court in this country will buy. He got a 2:1 from one of the best Universities going. That would not make you unemployable and a good start to your career would instantly render the degree classification fairly irrelevant.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:19 pm

It's the epitome of that whole tiresome first world problems thing.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 pm

He'll be playing the racist card next. What a fecking nice person!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Universities are now classified as private entrprise. Expect a whole load more of these. Even if this one fails.

After all, if you're promised a product that can't be delivered in the manner you're promised, you'd want your money back too, wouldn't you?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:38 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Universities are now classified as private entrprise. Expect a whole load more of these. Even if this one fails.

After all, if you're promised a product that can't be delivered in the manner you're promised, you'd want your money back too, wouldn't you?
And the product that's been promised? A glittering career?

Has your career fallen by the wayside due to your inability to follow the instruction of more knowledgeable others? I'm guessing not.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Universities are now classified as private entrprise. Expect a whole load more of these. Even if this one fails.

And the product that's been promised? A glittering career?
I think that's the bit that's the real struggle. It's not like his "missed out on career" in any way matches the degree subject he was covering, particularly, nor that there's necessarily a specific link between degree classification and earnings.

I get the part about standard of teaching not being good enough (especially if someone's forking out 9 grand a year for it).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:17 am

I'm not sure unis are a "private enterprise" but if they are, you have less chance if challenging them, not more.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:25 am

There might be an argument to get fees back for demonstrably poor teaching but this is absolute bollocks. He sounds like a soft arsed self pityng prick crying over his failure to make the best of a privileged start in life.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 am

LeverEnd wrote:There might be an argument to get fees back for demonstrably poor teaching.
Hope you've got a good lawyer LE :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:55 am

My (obviously wrong) understanding about schools and universities was that they gave folk the opportunity to study and then advance and study more with a view to bettering your education and persuading some employer from Asda to MI6 to give you a job by demonstrating you had taken it all in and were worth the effort because you would do the job better than the next man. The opportunities for study were there, the studying and learning up to you. Course, that was in the days when people had jobs as opposed to "glittering careers". Ah, well, times change I suppose and Bolton Tech has been hardcore for a few years now....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:03 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:There might be an argument to get fees back for demonstrably poor teaching.
Not yet. Where's that pru fella?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:My (obviously wrong) understanding about schools and universities was that they gave folk the opportunity to study and then advance and study more with a view to bettering your education and persuading some employer from Asda to MI6 to give you a job by demonstrating you had taken it all in and were worth the effort because you would do the job better than the next man. The opportunities for study were there, the studying and learning up to you. Course, that was in the days when people had jobs as opposed to "glittering careers". Ah, well, times change I suppose and Bolton Tech has been hardcore for a few years now....
When you are paying directly for something, the expectancy of quality and then outcomes tends to rise.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:54 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Why? Do you think he can recommend someone? :wink:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Why? Do you think he can recommend someone? :wink:
He wants to know where he can buy himself a pink dressing gown for Christmas!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Why would he need a dressing gown?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:My (obviously wrong) understanding about schools and universities was that they gave folk the opportunity to study and then advance and study more with a view to bettering your education and persuading some employer from Asda to MI6 to give you a job by demonstrating you had taken it all in and were worth the effort because you would do the job better than the next man. The opportunities for study were there, the studying and learning up to you. Course, that was in the days when people had jobs as opposed to "glittering careers". Ah, well, times change I suppose and Bolton Tech has been hardcore for a few years now....
When you are paying directly for something, the expectancy of quality and then outcomes tends to rise.
So, you think the levels of understanding and learning are automatically equal in everyone and education is bought with guarantees? I wonder how many students never get beyond developing a liking for vodka and don't attain glittering careers? Can all that be blamed on teachers and teaching levels? ....