General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:22 pm

...and folk think I'm a dinosaur!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:41 pm

I remember when supermarket deliveries started about 20 years ago. My wife ordered what she thought was 8 loose carrots not knowing she has accidentally clicked the 1.5 Kg bags. We had carrots every meal for weeks.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:30 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:41 pm
I remember when supermarket deliveries started about 20 years ago. My wife ordered what she thought was 8 loose carrots not knowing she has accidentally clicked the 1.5 Kg bags. We had carrots every meal for weeks.
Is it true? Can you see in the dark... :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:30 pm
malcd1 wrote:

Absolutely true. No my eyes are rubbish.

We also had some strange alternative options when the products we ordered were not available. Things like - We did not have the toothpaste you ordered so we have substitute them with condoms or We did not have the apples you ordered so we have substituted them for Tampax.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:57 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:49 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

We also had some strange alternative options when the products we ordered were not available. Things like - We did not have the toothpaste you ordered so we have substitute them with condoms or We did not have the apples you ordered so we have substituted them for Tampax.
You mistake my question, I wasn't doubting the veracity of what you said, merely whether eating ten ton of carrots helps you see better... (My fault, I should have asked: is it true, can you see in the dark?)

I had a friend at Uni who was a total carrot fanatic. He virtually lived on carrots. He was as blind as a bat.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:57 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:49 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

You mistake my question, I wasn't doubting the veracity of what you said, merely whether eating ten ton of carrots helps you see better... (My fault, I should have asked: is it true, can you see in the dark?)

I had a friend at Uni who was a total carrot fanatic. He virtually lived on carrots. He was as blind as a bat.

I'm not quite blind as a bat but not far off. As for seeing in the dark, I would guess no better than anyone. They didn't make any notable difference to me.

Did your mate have orange skin?
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2218
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenosis

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:08 pm

Carrots and seeing in the dark was a WWII propoganda tale I was led to believe :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:58 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:08 pm
Carrots and seeing in the dark was a WWII propoganda tale I was led to believe :conf:
Actually, Harry, you or your source are quite correct. WW2 RAF pilots were uncannily accurate at night owing to Radar. The rumour was spread that their great night vision was owing to eating carrots in an attempt to keep radar secret. I guess the carrot industry kept this myth going after the war.

This said, carrots are high in anti-oxidants that prevent damage to eyes caused by free radicals. So they have some value to eyesight, but not night vision.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:23 am

Cheers Monty.

Odd that a bit of kidology in the war, was still being used by mum's in the 70s to get their kids to eat some veg!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:32 am

An internet friend posted a drawing/painting he did of a of a nursery rhyme he illustrated. The rhyme was "Mary, Mary, quite contrary" and its history is far from nursery stuff. I know many kiddy rhymes have darker origins, but didn't know this one. Just shows how the range of opinions differ, even amongst historians and experts....Weird..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Mar ... e_Contrary
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:19 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:23 am
Cheers Monty.

Odd that a bit of kidology in the war, was still being used by mum's in the 70s to get their kids to eat some veg!
The Second World War thing is true, but carrots are really high in vitamin A, which is a key for developing vision. However despite a vitamin A deficiency causing night blindness, there’s no evidence that eating more carrots actually helps to improve it.

So, while it was a made up fact, there’s plausible theory behind why it might have been true.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:32 pm
Glad to see the Rule of Law getting a strong defence and look forward to more of the same next time it's under threat.
So, are Gove, Stewart, Johnson, et al. guilty, or innocent?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:16 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Glad to see the Rule of Law getting a strong defence and look forward to more of the same next time it's under threat.
Neither, they're Tory. :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
I eat lots of carrots but have terrible eyesight. Maybe I'm doing something a lot that cancels out the effect? :conf:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:32 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:26 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I eat lots of carrots but have terrible eyesight. Maybe I'm doing something a lot that cancels out the effect? :conf:
Indeed. One should never mash them with swede.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:35 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I have excellent eyesight for my age. My night vision isn't quite up to my dog's nor the SAS, but I can stumble through a wood on a moonless night.
I'd classify my carrot consumption as average (about one a month).
Therefore I must conclude, on Lever End's testimony, that I'm not a wanker... :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:35 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I have excellent eyesight for my age. My night vision isn't quite up to my dog's nor the SAS, but I can stumble through a wood on a moonless night.
I'd classify my carrot consumption as average (about one a month).
Therefore I must conclude, on Lever End's testimony, that I'm not a wanker... :D
:lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Enoch wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Same. Guilty but I couldn't care less. Of the reasons Boris Johnson is unsuitable to be PM, that he had a joint back in the day is so far down the list as to be irrelevant.

The thing they are guilty of is hypocrisy in that all that socially liberal Bullingdon set believe in a much more liberal drug policy but won't come out and publically argue for reform because the blue rinse brigade won't have it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:33 pm
Enoch wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Same. Guilty but I couldn't care less. Of the reasons Boris Johnson is unsuitable to be PM, that he had a joint back in the day is so far down the list as to be irrelevant.

The thing they are guilty of is hypocrisy in that all that socially liberal Bullingdon set believe in a much more liberal drug policy but won't come out and publically argue for reform because the blue rinse brigade won't have it.
Prejudice aside, when standing for public office there is a question as to where the bar regard respect for the law should be set and who should do the setting. I wondered if your legal mind might have a view.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:15 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:33 pm
Enoch wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Prejudice aside, when standing for public office there is a question as to where the bar regard respect for the law should be set and who should do the setting. I wondered if your legal mind might have a view.
My (illegal) mind definitely draws a limit at 'if you can't stand up'.

But Prufrock is right, insofar as the HYPOCRISY is concerned, and completely incorrect regarding the blue rinse brigade - most of the very aged fxckers were alive and kicking when Woodstock was in; it's the purple hair dyed brigade that thinks Glasto is so 'with it' you need to worry about. And those that shop at Iceland.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください