General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:00 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:24 pm
Apparently there is a large open air nightclub opening soon in central Manchester.

Guess the first star guests have got to be Wet wet wet.

Will you be going Hoboh?! 🕺🏻

:D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:00 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:49 pm
What on earth is going on in France.

Originally, France approved the AZN vaccine but limited its use to under 65s.

They then shelved it completely owing to the blood clots scare, which the EMA said yesterday was a false narrative. Vaccination with AZN resumed.

Today, the French regulator has said the AZN vaccine should only be given to the OVER 55s.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SL1N2LH0S2

WTAF. Way to completely shatter the remaining public confidence in a vaccine you've already ragged on for the best part of a month.

Hindsight is an extraordinary thing but it is remarkable that at this stage of it all they've chosen this path. People are literally going to die because of this absurd politicking.
Absolute madness. Macron is finished, and quite rightly so. Will be interesting to see what the French vaccine uptake figures are compared to other European countries.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:41 pm

As a follow on to a thread in The Trotter about the importance of winning:

We all like to win, but how important is it in the grand scheme? A while back I watched a documentary about young kids ballroom dancing. Some of the parents were so obsessive in hounding the kids to win in competitions that they took away all the pleasure and enjoyment of the art and the kids eventually lost interest and gave up dancing (the kids words in interview.) Some of the parents (not all) were absolute monsters if the kids didn't win and made their lives hell. It wasn't about the kids at all, they didn't get a "well done" a hug or a pat on the back if they lost, but sulks and bad temper from "must win" parents. What price winning there?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 pm

You're comparing kids dancing to a professional football club. Surely the main purpose of a professional sports team is to win as many as they can regardless of whether it's important in any grand scheme. Here's what the Bolton manager said about it a few months back.

"What’s the point in being in a division or a competition if you not trying to win it? If you don’t want to be, or think you can be the best, then what’s the point in turning up?
What is the point in running in a race if you think you are going to finish last? There isn’t one. You should want to win everything you do"

So I'm fairly sure the current management team think winning is important.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:41 pm
As a follow on to a thread in The Trotter about the importance of winning:

We all like to win, but how important is it in the grand scheme? A while back I watched a documentary about young kids ballroom dancing. Some of the parents were so obsessive in hounding the kids to win in competitions that they took away all the pleasure and enjoyment of the art and the kids eventually lost interest and gave up dancing (the kids words in interview.) Some of the parents (not all) were absolute monsters if the kids didn't win and made their lives hell. It wasn't about the kids at all, they didn't get a "well done" a hug or a pat on the back if they lost, but sulks and bad temper from "must win" parents. What price winning there?
Pushy parents are horrendous. I've seen it do many times in athletics. Remember a girl my age getting no tea if she lost a race when we kids in the 80s. I'd have bloody starved!
Usually down to no-mark parents wanting their kids to make up for their own lack of achievement in life.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:31 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:23 pm

Pushy parents are horrendous. I've seen it do many times in athletics. Remember a girl my age getting no tea if she lost a race when we kids in the 80s. I'd have bloody starved!
Usually down to no-mark parents wanting their kids to make up for their own lack of achievement in life.
Blimey. I’ve seen some pushy parents at work during my time but that takes the biscuit.

Having kids of your own, it’s a fine balance though. My parents never pushed me into sport, not being sporty whatsoever themselves and I wish they had done more that way with me, but sometimes I wonder if I’m making mine do too much? Youngest does sod all apart from swimming at the moment (largely down to the pandemic) but does love playing football in the garden. Twin girl loves her gymnastics and twin boy loves his football but I make them both do swimming and athletics too which I think they would both give up without too much fuss if I didn’t insist. Neither are going to be super star athletes but if they weren’t doing a decent amount of sport then they’d be sitting on their arse more in front of a tv/PlayStation which I don’t want either. I think once they hit the teenage years I’ll insist on them picking at least one sport to carry on with (Jessie wants to do football, netball and dance too!) and let them drop the others but as far as I’m concerned swimming is a life skill so they don’t get a choice that way right now!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:31 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

Blimey. I’ve seen some pushy parents at work during my time but that takes the biscuit.
Well, maybe if she won :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

:lol:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

:D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Ha!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:04 pm

Having a nice snuggly cuddle with youngest son (age 5) before bed and he turns round after telling me he loves me to ask me what I would do if my head was chopped off?! :shock:

I don’t understand the male mind sometimes, young or old! :crazy:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:18 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:04 pm
Having a nice snuggly cuddle with youngest son (age 5) before bed and he turns round after telling me he loves me to ask me what I would do if my head was chopped off?! :shock:

So? Don’t leave us all in suspense. What was your answer?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:18 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

Maybe she can't answer right now. 5 year olds like to experiment by doing...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Ha! I just answered ‘not a lot’! Thankfully he went to sleep and didn’t look to try and enact this scenario.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:13 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Ha! I just answered ‘not a lot’! Thankfully he went to sleep and didn’t look to try and enact this scenario.
He is clearly too old to be cuddled and may not like it. Be careful with the carving knife.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:23 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:13 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

He is clearly too old to be cuddled and may not like it. Be careful with the carving knife.
:shock: :shock: Can’t believe you just said that Monty! He may not like it but I’ll still be trying to persuade him to sit on my lap and have a story when he’s 27! He’s my baby!!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:23 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

:shock: :shock: Can’t believe you just said that Monty! He may not like it but I’ll still be trying to persuade him to sit on my lap and have a story when he’s 27! He’s my baby!!
Be careful what you wish for. L at 24 occasionally wants to sit on my knee. It lasts about 5 seconds before I have to tell her to get off and she’s a skinny bugger!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:04 pm

I follow Greg Rutherford on Instagram. He comes across as a nice guy. This would be a bit of a fairytale! Shades of Cool Runnings!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... mpics-2022

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:52 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:23 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I had blonde curls at age four. For some reasons random women (I presume mother's friends) wanted to cuddle or kiss me. I hated it - especially those with moustaches!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 23, 2021 6:20 pm

Must be my odd sense of humour, but I had a good laugh at all the media hoo-haa surrounding Amanda Holden's language "gaff" on the political music box, The Eurovision Song Contest" show. ( No, I didn't watch the show, I just read the reports) What really did they expect from her? Who is she, apart from a pleasant enough "judge" in Britain's Got Talent ? I don't blame her at all for being herself; an actress/ model (with the dress sense of a Christmas tree mind), but the producers at our end for choosing her for the role.( It was only reading the numbers results after all) If they wanted a professional female T.V presenter, why not Lucy Worseley, Moira Stuart, Mary Nightingale or the like?

It was the international "outrage" and "embarrassment" headlines aimed at the U.K over something so tardy (we finished last with no points any way) that made me laugh. The whole show died for me years ago.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?