General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:15 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:04 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:06 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:51 pm
Just been reading around world news a bit and the floods in Venice are a real disaster. Quite what happens next is beyond imagination right now.
Hopefully the over priced sh*t hole will sink into the sea, for good.
:shock: you've posted some controversial stuff over the years Hobes but that's your worst! How anyone can not love Venice is beyond me. It's not because there isn't a Greggs there or summat is it?
Venice is

A. overpriced
B. lives off a fairy tale reputation.
C. was always going to sink in the sea at some point.
D. I don't do Greggs.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:05 am

This is a sad read. Hoping this new government sorts out child poverty so schools can teach and not need to do all this. Not overly expectant that Boris and co will bother though. :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-50843474

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:55 am

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:15 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Just been reading around world news a bit and the floods in Venice are a real disaster. Quite what happens next is beyond imagination right now.
:shock: you've posted some controversial stuff over the years Hobes but that's your worst! How anyone can not love Venice is beyond me. It's not because there isn't a Greggs there or summat is it?
Venice is

A. overpriced
D. I don't do Greggs.

You could always, you know, just not go, rather than wish for its total destruction.....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:22 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:05 am
This is a sad read. Hoping this new government sorts out child poverty so schools can teach and not need to do all this. Not overly expectant that Boris and co will bother though. :(

Indeed. Been reading a lot about this sort of thing - it really is heartbreaking. And nothing will be done. Because sadly now the people of this country have been duped into thinking that stopping immigration is the fix to all ills when in fact the reality is - the underfunding of schools, leaving parts of society to rot and widening inequality are all self-inflicted. As you say the current government will almost certainly do nothing to make this better and very likely make it worse. And no doubt the mis-direction will continue - almost certainly the BBC will be the next scapegoat. Then the courts. Then anyone who doesn't agree with the government.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:

That was a sad read :cry:

What was heart warming though was the generosity of the listener who sent the school 20 grand. What an amazing gesture
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 pm

You, broke: Venice is overpriced.
Me, woke: given it is visited daily by half a trillion tourists, Venice is clearly massively underpriced.

I'm not in any rush to go back, even in March it was catastrophically busy. It's a day-trip destination, not a full holiday. That said, there's nowhere else remotely like it. I'm not really one for "views" but the view from the top of the church across the big canal, looking over St Mark's Square and the whole city, not a car in sight, Dolomites in the background was a proper "feck me" moment. You have to go once.

Ballsiest pigeons in the world, too.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Hoboh wrote:

Venice is

A. overpriced
D. I don't do Greggs.
To be fair it's 20 years since I was there but I found it to be a magical, fascinating and romantic city. We were there a week and it was even more amazing at night when all the crowds had left. Eating and drinking were reasonable too if you stayed well away from St Marks square. Paris and New York were way more expensive.

And you're missing out re Greggs. The steak bakes are to die for!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:33 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:34 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

That was a sad read :cry:

What was heart warming though was the generosity of the listener who sent the school 20 grand. What an amazing gesture
It was an amazing gesture. Problem is as BWFCi Says, he’s been reading about this sort of thing a lot, there are lots of schools like this around aren’t there? We live in a pretty affluent area and whilst our village school isn’t like this, last half term was the first time our church had needed to run a holiday meal club for kids referred to them from the not so nice side of town via the school there.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:22 am

nothing will be done.
A pointless rant:

Laying the blame on the current (newly formed) government will achieve nothing at all. For every "aye", there's a "no", it's called opposition and it's timeless. The government as such is an authority, a building, a mineral entity staffed by people ( class them as animals if you will) in an ever-changing lottery. What's done is done and isn't just the fault of a few odd years but the creation and mis-management of hundreds.

What they do (can-do) from here on in is what matters. Take stock of the problems, ( first of all admit they exist) address them as priority with people, poverty, national health, benefits,(including the cheating) crime,( How much goes out of the pot on our 117 prisons and 83,00 current three-meals a day population? I wonder? Court costs and law-enforcement I'll hurriedly pass over.) unemployment and education topping the list. Action is what's needed, not blame or talk. This beautifully crafted gold-plated, diamond studded cock ruling of the Sceptred Isle up has taken years in the making and with a lot of big self-serving businesses, shareholders, directors bonuses and ill-gotten gains topping the lists, as it's been for far too long. Controlled immigration is one problem of many and to deny there are too many hands in an ever decreasing pot is pointless. Footballers, pop stars and sport in general plus the ludicrous amounts of money bantered about on things like motor-racing, certain multi-billionaires talking of flight to the moon etc, make talk of starvation and poverty utterly ridiculous by comparison. Fund raising as a national pastime in 2020 Britain? , huh. Add Peerages, play-boy royals, Lords of the realm, Royal helicopters, free holiday queens and the whole army of do-nothing hangers on and where the money goes isn't to hard to see.The tax-payers donations funds a few prawn sandwich and champagne lunches for the bone-idlers I think and the cost of energy soars relentlessly on for the masses..

Of course, we all know all this as well as we know Cinderella and pantomime come round every Christmas, course we do. It's tradition, you know! It's also what our current government have in their gartere'd stockings. Will Brexit help? I know as much about the answer on that as I did on voting day--not much at all. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:22 am

nothing will be done.
A pointless rant:

Laying the blame on the current (newly formed) government will achieve nothing at all. For every "aye", there's a "no", it's called opposition and it's timeless. The government as such is an authority, a building, a mineral entity staffed by people ( class them as animals if you will) in an ever-changing lottery. What's done is done and isn't just the fault of a few odd years but the creation and mis-management of hundreds.

What they do (can-do) from here on in is what matters. Take stock of the problems, ( first of all admit they exist) address them as priority with people, poverty, national health, benefits,(including the cheating) crime,( How much goes out of the pot on our 117 prisons and 83,00 current three-meals a day population? I wonder? Court costs and law-enforcement I'll hurriedly pass over.) unemployment and education topping the list. Action is what's needed, not blame or talk. This beautifully crafted gold-plated, diamond studded cock ruling of the Sceptred Isle up has taken years in the making and with a lot of big self-serving businesses, shareholders, directors bonuses and ill-gotten gains topping the lists, as it's been for far too long. Controlled immigration is one problem of many and to deny there are too many hands in an ever decreasing pot is pointless. Footballers, pop stars and sport in general plus the ludicrous amounts of money bantered about on things like motor-racing, certain multi-billionaires talking of flight to the moon etc, make talk of starvation and poverty utterly ridiculous by comparison. Fund raising as a national pastime in 2020 Britain? , huh. Add Peerages, play-boy royals, Lords of the realm, Royal helicopters, free holiday queens and the whole army of do-nothing hangers on and where the money goes isn't to hard to see.The tax-payers donations funds a few prawn sandwich and champagne lunches for the bone-idlers I think and the cost of energy soars relentlessly on for the masses..

Of course, we all know all this as well as we know Cinderella and pantomime come round every Christmas, course we do. It's tradition, you know! It's also what our current government have in their gartere'd stockings. Will Brexit help? I know as much about the answer on that as I did on voting day--not much at all. :)
The same party have been in government for 9 years. In that time the number of homeless people has skyrocketed from 27,000 to close to half a million. The numbers in poverty have shot up - the UN have condemned us for this. The quality of schools and the NHS has reduced to levels not seen since - yes the last Tory government.

9 years. Yet lets pretend the latest incarnation are suddenly going to fix the mess their party created. The broad facts are that they took a series of politically motivated actions that caused unnecessary suffering and hardship on large parts of the populous. In doing so they've managed to somehow blame everyone else other than themselves and get away with it. Largely helped by the fact the opposition whilst well meaning were less functional than a chocolate teapot.

Ultimately the real bottom line is that I don't believe as a nation we want this - but we keep re-electing the same slogans and the same empty words time and time again even though the real intent is very much clear - if we choose to see it we can.

Its clear to me that part of the reason for this is that actually taking the blame and doing something about it is something the British electorate aren't prepared to do - so they let the misdirection take seed. 9 years of Tory rule and the billionaires certainly are happier than anyone else - as they divert their bases, money and investment to other countries. The idea that suddenly the party will do an about flip and reverse the very real damage they've chosen to inflict (a historic reversal) I find laughable. However, I really do hope they will because it will save a lot of suffering and improve society for all our sakes.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:57 pm

That Danny Boyle film "Yesterday" but instead of that kid from Eastenders and the Beatles, it's me and I'm the only person in the world who remembers that the Tories haven't been in power for the last nine years.
Businesswoman of the year.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:09 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 pm
You, broke: Venice is overpriced.
Me, woke: given it is visited daily by half a trillion tourists, Venice is clearly massively underpriced.

I'm not in any rush to go back, even in March it was catastrophically busy. It's a day-trip destination, not a full holiday. That said, there's nowhere else remotely like it. I'm not really one for "views" but the view from the top of the church across the big canal, looking over St Mark's Square and the whole city, not a car in sight, Dolomites in the background was a proper "feck me" moment. You have to go once.

Ballsiest pigeons in the world, too.
Well I wasn't over keen on the place and I think half a trillion visitors today is like BWFCi's half a million homeless, bollocks.
Me, I very much prefer the Troodos mountain's there's a lovely little cafe up there complete with log burning stoves and it's ace when the snow is about.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:27 am

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:55 am
Hoboh wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Venice is

A. overpriced
D. I don't do Greggs.

You could always, you know, just not go, rather than wish for its total destruction.....
Look I not wanting it's destruction but it is inevitable. 7000 homes in the UK are at risk of being swallowed up by the sea in the next couple of decades and short of building a giant concrete wall around the coast, nothing will stop it. Sooner or later London will fall to the water the barrier won't work forever and last time there was problems if I remember correctly they had shifted the problem down stream so to speak.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:56 am

Thank you for fact checking "half a trillion a day".

Re: sea levels, the rising of: if only some knobheads hadn't spent 20 years telling us it wasn't happening, eh?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:54 am

People were teaching me when I was at school that Venice is sinking and I don't think it was news back then.

Strikes me a strange juxtaposition that folk fall over themselves to keep up with the latest tech, whilst fretting about stuff that's past its sell by and really rather tatty. I wonder how many Euros have been thrown at building the replica Notre-Dame to date.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:54 am
People were teaching me when I was at school that Venice is sinking and I don't think it was news back then.

Strikes me a strange juxtaposition that folk fall over themselves to keep up with the latest tech, whilst fretting about stuff that's past its sell by and really rather tatty. I wonder how many Euros have been thrown at building the replica Notre-Dame to date.
We live in a weird world Enoch, but I'm a firm believer that the history of the past must be maintained...... Meanwhile, here in the mother country, home of the Church of England, (The Sovereign, Her Majesty, holds the title 'Defender of the Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England'.) The churches and wealth of Rome and The Vatican also seem far removed as local churches become student flats, real estate and antique markets and the ones still functioning have to be locked up outside service time to deter rough sleepers and thieves (shining example, St Patrick's Great Moor Street Bolton) . I do hope Boris is taking note of things on the home front with a view to Police funds etc....Religion and life extends beyond the sound of Bow Bells, good sire, and one of its first of God's laws is Charity.

p.s. Without ire: The citizens of Kearsley and district send their condolences to the Venetians (much as dearly I love history and its architecture) as their sideboards and fridges and ironing boards float down the Irwell...I also lived in Walsden, Yorks, for a couple of years, a village I knew well that has almost been wiped out a couple of times by flooding.(fortunately not when I was there) It's anything but fun, as a quick Google search will show..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:56 am
Thank you for fact checking "half a trillion a day".

Re: sea levels, the rising of: if only some knobheads hadn't spent 20 years telling us it wasn't happening, eh?
Pru, the vast majority of people don't deny the climate is changing but disagree with the reason put forward by the Greta's of this world. After all diesels were not around at the end of the last ice age.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 pm
the ones still functioning have to be locked up outside service time to deter rough sleepers...

...and one of its first of God's laws is Charity.

Perhaps if that charity extended to allowing all the rough sleepers in they'd at least get someone through their doors. Might serve to keep the places warm too.

:wink:

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:44 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:27 am

Look I not wanting it's destruction but it is inevitable........

Your initial quote was "Hopefully the over priced sh*t hole will sink into the sea, for good"????
Last edited by dave the minion on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:24 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 pm
the ones still functioning have to be locked up outside service time to deter rough sleepers...

...and one of its first of God's laws is Charity.

Perhaps if that charity extended to allowing all the rough sleepers in they'd at least get someone through their doors. Might serve to keep the places warm too.

:wink:
Plenty of churches do. My mate Andy (spuds fan, though I don’t hold it against him :wink: ) is the minister of a baptist church in Bath who run all kinds of stuff to help the homeless, including providing them with space to sleep.