General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:48 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:38 am
Enoch wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:18 am
So dressing up as Aladdin is racist.

Well I'm f*cked. Better throw my Freddie Mercury costume in the bin before I get arrested for being homophobic!

There are some tossers about.
When I was driving home the other night I heard ont' wireless that the Fire Brigade are doing away with having Fireman Sam as their mascot as some absolute 4ucknugget claims that it discourages potential female recruits. I really do hope that this is a spoof.

No, not a spoof.

Beggars belief.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:02 pm

It's almost like there's a whole industry built up around faux outrage to make headlines and then headlines about the faux outrage to generate traffic.

Middle-aged click-bait.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:02 pm
It's almost like there's a whole industry built up around faux outrage to make headlines and then headlines about the faux outrage to generate traffic.

Middle-aged click-bait.

Driven by the hard line liberals. :shock:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:47 pm

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:47 pm
Here you go

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -for-brits . Today's Guardian
Not quite sure how I'm supposed to feel about this Hobes? First reaction is why can't they have a cruise within these parameters,(there may well be quite a lot of over fifties people who haven't managed to master German,Japanese,Russian,Asian language and cuisine and are comfortable with what they know and like, and there must be a thousand other cruises to choose from. . Then, are the complaints coming from folk wanting to go on that particular cruise, or just "outraged from Oxford", the Van Helsings of indignation hunters who spend their days on a perpetual quest of righting other folk's wrongs etc?

See, as a Brit over 50, I might wonder who is actually telling me I can't do this/that? Seems there are suddenly an awful lot of folk telling other folk what to do whilst using the good old human rights banner completely wrongly. Just a thought. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:19 pm

I've been over 50 for three years now and I'm still to receive any communication from SAGA. I feel marginalised! :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:17 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Middle-aged click-bait.

Driven by the hard line liberals. :shock:
Is it though? How many of these stories come to your attention with "I can't believe what this person is saying", and how many with "I can't believe what this report says that person is saying".

Ignore the nutters, it's all a PR swizz. Even the PETA loons don't believe half of what they say but they know if they tweet out that swans compose poetry about global warming they'll get PETA all over every middle-aged Karen's Facebook page.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:19 pm

I was outraged tonight when I saw a TV advert from Child Aid (Registered Charity No 1085796) saying I could choose to sponsor either a boy, or a girl.

How dare they differentiate! The choice should clearly be sponsor a child, or not and if not, one should presumably be ashamed of oneself.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:27 pm

My favourite snowflake story from this week

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 26037/amp/

She felt such humiliation she immediately contacted local and national media outlets to complain and have her fat pics aired to the country
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Oh boy are you all going to love the Mark Robson news when it hits Facebook next month.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:30 pm

"The vote urging Ms Harman to reconsider her candidacy was initially tied at 21 to 21 but a recount saw the motion passed by 26 to 22."

I guess numeracy isn't a strong point within the Camberwell and Peckham Labour Party.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:05 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:30 pm
"The vote urging Ms Harman to reconsider her candidacy was initially tied at 21 to 21 but a recount saw the motion passed by 26 to 22."

I guess numeracy isn't a strong point within the Camberwell and Peckham Labour Party.
Is Diane helping out? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:30 pm

I don't know for sure - but I suspect that by "recount" they mean a second show of hands which allows people to change their minds in response to what happened first time... It's possible - but I think unlikely - that they used a secret paper ballot and ballots were counted and then recounted...

of course - that would ruin Bruce's marvelous Abbot intervention - sorry! :pissed:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm not given to watching Luvvies slapping themselves on the back but I was a tad surprised not to hear that Greta had won "Best Actress" last night. She certainly puts a lot into her performances.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:07 pm
I'm not given to watching Luvvies slapping themselves on the back but I was a tad surprised not to hear that Greta had won "Best Actress" last night. She certainly puts a lot into her performances.
:lol:

Face was a picture when Trump upstaged her at the UN.
Poor Little girl had no script for that.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:38 pm

As England ran in a try against USA, TV cut to a fella running parallel with the pitch dressed as a Knight Templar.

I've no doubt that will offend some folk, is it that Japanese security aren't up with the curve, or are they just a more tolerant bunch?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:38 pm
As England ran in a try against USA, TV cut to a fella running parallel with the pitch dressed as a Knight Templar.

I've no doubt that will offend some folk, is it that Japanese security aren't up with the curve, or are they just a more tolerant bunch?
The might consider 800 years time enough for consideration..maybe, and Japan's a bit far from Jerusalem to bother them..... :wink:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:36 pm

Another example of the establishment ignoring a popular vote!

:wink:

"In March 2016 the Natural Environment Research Council launched a campaign to find a name for the UK’s next world-class polar research ship. One suggestion in particular captured the nation’s imagination and #BoatyMcBoatface was soon trending on Twitter and being talked about all over the world! The ship was named...

... RRS Sir David Attenborough,"

When will they learn that the 'people' know f*ck all!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm wondering what some views on this item are (Ignore the Daily Mail connection, it's covered by a few others)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ction.html

See, I have three grown daughters and a couple of granddaughters young and attractive. I'd like to think any of them could have dealt with this without this sort of publicity, but I'd like to hear a few views on it. It's controversial to say the least

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:50 pm
I'm wondering what some views on this item are (Ignore the Daily Mail connection, it's covered by a few others)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ction.html

See, I have three grown daughters and a couple of granddaughters young and attractive. I'd like to think any of them could have dealt with this without this sort of publicity, but I'd to hear a few views on it. It's controversial to say the least
She was inappropriately touched by a guy waiting in secluded spots as she walked alone.

Whether the guy is all there mentally is irrelevant to her really. I suspect once that’s happened to you, you’re going to be pretty anxious in the future.

It’s unquestionably a crime as well. She’s done the right thing reporting it - for now it’s only touching, but what next? He’s been found guilty which sounds about right. I doubt he’ll go to prison, especially if he is vulnerable.

She’s not sought publicity. The news articles are merely covering the court case.

I’m not sure what’s controversial?