General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:11 pm

Words of solid sense from the number one citizen:

"King Charles III has said humans are carrying out a "vast, frightening experiment" on the planet, taking the natural world "outside balanced norms and limits".
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:11 pm

"King Charles III has said humans are carrying out a "vast, frightening experiment" on the planet, taking the natural world "outside balanced norms and limits".
To his credit, he has always been a tree-hugger.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:03 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:29 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:11 pm

To his credit, he has always been a tree-hugger.
If he is truly a tree hugger then maybe he might reduce his carbon footprint by reducing the number of gaffs he owns/lives in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:56 am

Now I'm feeling old. Sending some mail. Got stamps with barcode on, wondered what barcode was for. Looked it up.

It started out explaining what a "stamp" was and does....which got me thinking there must be a shitload of people never used one!

I'm going to listen to some old tape recordings whilst I settle back down. :-(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:30 pm

First class stamp £1-25. (I ran a mailroom when they were thirty pence). When we were kids they were three old pence. T.V Licences £1-59 with a proposed 15 pence rise imminent.(These we supposed to be free to old-age pensioners, huh, what a hope. Britain has officially lost the plot. :shock:

Police first question when investigating a murder: Who Benefits?

ae:)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:01 pm

Least they weren't Penny Black's mate :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:01 pm
Least they weren't Penny Black's mate :-)
Unfortunately... :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:30 pm
First class stamp £1-25. (I ran a mailroom when they were thirty pence). When we were kids they were three old pence. T.V Licences £1-59 with a proposed 15 pence rise imminent.(These we supposed to be free to old-age pensioners, huh, what a hope. Britain has officially lost the plot. :shock:

Police first question when investigating a murder: Who Benefits?

ae:)
I'm pretty sure I remember a red 2 1/2 pence stamp when we were kids, Tango. Possibly that might have been for postcards.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:30 am

Not even wearing a mask. It's Insurance renewal time in the Worthy household...I got a lovely letter putting may car up 20% as a reward for another year of no-claims and no speeding tabs! It pointed me to their website showing how all their costs had gone up, nearly felt sorry for them, so I looked at what had happened to their profits the last twelve month for their protection business unit - they'd increased 111%. What a fcuking scam.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:30 am
Not even wearing a mask. It's Insurance renewal time in the Worthy household...I got a lovely letter putting may car up 20% as a reward for another year of no-claims and no speeding tabs! It pointed me to their website showing how all their costs had gone up, nearly felt sorry for them, so I looked at what had happened to their profits the last twelve month for their protection business unit - they'd increased 111%. What a fcuking scam.
:D welcome to the world worthy

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:22 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Lol, I wasn't surprised particularly, mate. Just that no one looked and said £160 extra on a £750 Premium, should be OK. Just go and look for yourselves on a comparison site...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:22 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Lol, I wasn't surprised particularly, mate. Just that no one looked and said £160 extra on a £750 Premium, should be OK. Just go and look for yourselves on a comparison site...
Every year I do it with the bike, next year the company I've just left usually comes back cheaper :crazy:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:39 am

Funny that, innit. They'll also lose the missus car and house, next month. Yet they state that the offer is comparable to a new customer...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:34 am

They legally have to offer the same as to new customers now don't they?

I was sus about that actually working, but I checked my Quotemehappy renewal and it was (significantly) cheaper than anything else I could find on the comparisons tbf.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:02 pm

Stupid thing is it is cheaper to retain a customer than find new ones. Put a bit of the money you'd spend on getting the new into rewarding some loyalty.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am

Put it up every year. Without fail. Ring up, complain and always end up with a quote lower than the previous year.

And now its got so ridiculous that you can do it via online chat. Type three messages and suddenly they've knocked the price down below where it was the previous year.

Its a ploy to hope people just auto renew without doing anything but they seem to just instantly fold if you raise the issue.

Not so sadly with other things like boiler servicing....that goes up and they don't shift price ever!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:03 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:34 am
They legally have to offer the same as to new customers now don't they?

I was sus about that actually working, but I checked my Quotemehappy renewal and it was (significantly) cheaper than anything else I could find on the comparisons tbf.
They do (first part). Probably wasn't clear that the comparisons I referred to were with other insurers, bit mysterious that I got zero quotes for current insurer via comparision website...

I did ring them as I have other insurances with them. No counter offer, no claims on any policies in the 5 years I've been with them.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:27 pm

The cost of repairs has shot up, the number of idiots who park cars in flood areas after days of torrential downpours beggers belief and then there is the biggest cost of all, including house insurance, THEFT!
Some middle Eastern countries with hand removal perhaps have the right idea, there is no bloody excuse for it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:30 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:27 pm
The cost of repairs has shot up, the number of idiots who park cars in flood areas after days of torrential downpours beggers belief and then there is the biggest cost of all, including house insurance, THEFT!
Some middle Eastern countries with hand removal perhaps have the right idea, there is no bloody excuse for it.
I understand costs have gone up. How do you explain away my insurers 111% increase in margin on protection policies? Classic capitalism. Blame A, hide B on the back of it.

Not sure where to start with the rest of it.

Maybe if we stop handing out planning permissions in flood plains, the would help the first point. Theft, barely gets investigated unless you can show evidence leading right to the perps door, we could maybe fund the police, so we can round people up for your proposed hand removal.

In respect of the hand removal, that sounds a bit "Islamist" - I sorta had you down as not in favour... :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:30 am
Hoboh wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:27 pm
I understand costs have gone up. How do you explain away my insurers 111% increase in margin on protection policies? Classic capitalism. Blame A, hide B on the back of it.

Not sure where to start with the rest of it.

Maybe if we stop handing out planning permissions in flood plains, the would help the first point. Theft, barely gets investigated unless you can show evidence leading right to the perps door, we could maybe fund the police, so we can round people up for your proposed hand removal.

In respect of the hand removal, that sounds a bit "Islamist" - I sorta had you down as not in favour... :-)
Oh I agree with the flood plains bit, still doesn't excuse the stupidly of those who buy them though.
Put it this way, if the bloody houses didn't sell they'd build them elsewhere. That does not excuse the morons who drive through water with not a scoobie how deep it is, park on supermarket car parks when the river nearby is about to burst.
Ain't enough room in prison for thieving gits and a justice system alongside inept policing won't do nowt to cure theft.
When Switzerland is considering a trial legalising cocaine because they can not cope, it tells why softly softly policies don't work.
Hands off and dragging dealers into the street and shooting them Chinese style cannot be any worse a deterrent.