General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:55 pm

Only in America...

A woman in the US has sued her (I assume Ex) boyfriend's car insurance because she caught an STI after a romantic evening for two in the back of the Fiat 500. Been awarded £5.2m after appeal....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:55 pm
Only in America...

A woman in the US has sued her (I assume Ex) boyfriend's car insurance because she caught an STI after a romantic evening for two in the back of the Fiat 500. Been awarded £5.2m after appeal....
Nuff said..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:44 pm

Parenting dilemma. I’m torn and would be interested in others opinions. What would you do? My daughter is year 6 and playing for her primary school Cricket team. Last week they qualified for the Sussex County finals, we have been informed today that it’s the same day as her transition day to secondary school, so if she chooses to play she (and any other year 6’s playing) will miss it. She wants to play despite the fact she’s not a passionate cricketer whatsoever and the team don’t have any real chance of winning. Normally as a biased PE teacher i’d let her do the sport but this transition day is quite important…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:04 pm

No brainer. Cricket. She'll have years to work out what happens at big school.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:04 pm
Would Mrs Worthy agree?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:28 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:04 pm
Would Mrs Worthy agree?
I think so, aye. (And Mrs W not into cricket)...some opportunities only cone round once...

Presented the facts as described to Mrs W. She said sports finals... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:16 pm

Cricket. It might be the only chance to ever do that. Or anything like it. In a years time a transition day to secondary school means nothing. Nobody will remember it. She might though remember the day she played in the cricket finals for ever.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm

Aye, you can't beat playing in a sports final. I've been lucky to play in a few and can remember them all, even the one from 40 years ago.

^ feck I feel old :lol:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:07 am

Thanks all, and Mrs Worthy. Thought I’d ask on a mums page as well for a more balanced view then I might get from a forum of sporting blokes :wink:, and they were a very mixed bag but made the point that certain years, thanks to covid, didn’t really get a transition day anyway and most of them have managed alright. I’m friends with the teacher who takes the cricket team and dropped him some WhatsApp’s and he said because it’s a county final he’s not going to take Year 5’s instead to get slaughtered which is understandable so will cancel our team going if the year 6’s can’t play. Asked my brother (ex year 6 teacher and big cricket fan) his opinion, and he said the sensible teacher inside of him would have to recommend transition day but that the cricket fan side of him was appalled by that. I then asked if he was the teacher taking a team to the county final and he said “screw secondary school, I’d want my best team there” so that was helpful. Not. :roll: Mr GG thinks transition day is the more sensible parent option but that it’s down to me and Miss GG to decide.

I think I’m going to let her do the cricket if she wants and the other Y6 parents agree. Pretty confident she will adapt fairly well to secondary, she’s bright enough, sociable and better with change then her mother. I don’t think they will win, but if they did and she wasn’t there I don’t think she’d ever let me forget it…

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:16 am

Cricket!

I'm sure the transition day would be nice to have, but there must be plenty of kids who miss it through sickness or whatever every year, and after the first week who remembers?

Whereas sports finals are fab. And the kind of thing you would definitely miss.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:48 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm
Aye, you can't beat playing in a sports final. I've been lucky to play in a few and can remember them all, even the one from 40 years ago.

Mate, me and my old primary school pals still talk about us winning the BEN Cup in 1977, and guys on the losing side who a few of us ended up in secondary school with are still sore about it. :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:48 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Mate, me and my old primary school pals still talk about us winning the BEN Cup in 1977, and guys on the losing side who a few of us ended up in secondary school with are still sore about it. :lol:
Any pictorial evidence of this sporting triumph Bruce? Is the trophy still pride of place on your mantelpiece?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:07 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:58 am

Any pictorial evidence of this sporting triumph Bruce? Is the trophy still pride of place on your mantelpiece?
There is, but I'm not putting it on here :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:08 pm

Yeah I would qualify my answer with ‘I’d let the kid decide’. I’d explain the two things, why they both matter and leave it up to them.

If they want to do the transition day I’d certainly not force them otherwise.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm

Let daughter dear find out what her best mates think, because serious issues like this can cause lifetime repercussions, especially at year five and sixes levels. Parliament is nothing compared to (get her/him at playtime). Oh, and make sure she knows the decision is hers, because, well....parents are ready made victims for blaming.. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:40 pm

Opinions of the guy who will be Head of Y7 from September and the Headteacher at the school I work at was a resounding, ‘Go to the cricket’. Decision made!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I only spent just over a year at the primary school I got to the cup final in. I like to thing my lumbering box to box dribble is still the stuff of legends despite my short stay. In reality they probably remember some gangly lump tripping over the ball continously :lol:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:21 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:53 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I only spent just over a year at the primary school I got to the cup final in. I like to thing my lumbering box to box dribble is still the stuff of legends despite my short stay. In reality they probably remember some gangly lump tripping over the ball continously :lol:

I went to Thornleigh. If you weren't any good at Cricket, Rugby or Football you were not worth bothering with. Cross country was for the sh*t kids. Happy now though. :mrgreen:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:21 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:21 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I went to Thornleigh. If you weren't any good at Cricket, Rugby or Football you were not worth bothering with. Cross country was for us sh*t kids. Happy now though. :mrgreen:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:12 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I went to Thornleigh. If you weren't any good at Cricket, Rugby or Football you were not worth bothering with. Cross country was for us sh*t kids. Happy now though. :mrgreen:
Interesting double post. I guess IT skills weren’t a thing taught there either! :wink: