General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25933
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 am
Oh and the bit about herd immunity....The government expert says 60% of the population would need to get COVID-19 to gain herd immunity. That's around 40m people - even with a mortality rate of 1%, that's a whole host of "collateral damage" if the mortality rate is that low - 400,000 - against "normal flu" where the range is anything from about 17,000 - 30,000 per annum...
Their argument is that you cannot stop it spreading regardless. It will spread in China again once restrictions are removed.
I understand the argument - the question is do you go for social distancing and hope there's a workable inoculation less than 18 months off...So you get to 60% but rather slower than all at once...
They are planning to quarantine people over 70 in their homes for months. I guess their view is that any vaccine is 18 months away so in that time unless you literally lock down the country and everyone stays at home it’s going to spread.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23357
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:55 pm

I'm all for working from home for 12/18 months! :-)

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38505
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:28 pm

My 69 year old neighbour informed me (laughingly) today that he could go out clubbing tonight if he wished whilst I must isolate myself. I told him to brush up on his semaphore as we should avoid directs speech contact. (He then went to the shop to pick a couple of items up, for us like the rest of the the good folk, everyone is doing their best). One of the ever-ready local advisory committee (I use the term jokingly) has informed the B.N that she has e-mailed her son's school for not acting sooner (sooner than what, the question occurs, people are not sight-seers or fortune tellers.) ??? Incidentally, the school in question is staying open at the moment, rightly or wrongly...

Seriously, since my wife and I are both over 70 we may soon be out of action for a while if this latest mandate activates..Family will help obviously, but where there are kids and grandkids involved, care is needed. My granddaughter left some shopping on our doorstep today and we left money likewise. It's serious....
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12843
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:28 pm
My 69 year old neighbour informed me (laughingly) today that he could go out clubbing tonight if he wished whilst I must isolate myself. I told him to brush up on his semaphore as we should avoid directs speech contact. (He then went to the shop to pick a couple of items up, for us like the rest of the the good folk, everyone is doing their best). One of the ever-ready local advisory committee (I use the term jokingly) has informed the B.N that she has e-mailed her son's school for not acting sooner (sooner than what, the question occurs, people are not sight-seers or fortune tellers.) ??? Incidentally, the school in question is staying open at the moment, rightly or wrongly...

Seriously, since my wife and I are both over 70 we may soon be out of action for a while if this latest mandate activates..Family will help obviously, but where there are kids and grandkids involved, care is needed. My granddaughter left some shopping on our doorstep today and we left money likewise. It's serious....
There are Tango still a lot of the 'it's only flu/bad cold' types out there, flu and bad colds don't shut down countries.
My parents are both over 85 and to be honest going out is a way of life to them staying put will do them no good at all and then the problem is do we visit and possibly put them at risk? Your right, this is serious.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38505
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:34 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:44 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:28 pm

Seriously, since my wife and I are both over 70 we may soon be out of action for a while if this latest mandate activates..Family will help obviously, but where there are kids and grandkids involved, care is needed. My granddaughter left some shopping on our doorstep today and we left money likewise. It's serious....
There are Tango still a lot of the 'it's only flu/bad cold' types out there, flu and bad colds don't shut down countries.
My parents are both over 85 and to be honest going out is a way of life to them staying put will do them no good at all and then the problem is do we visit and possibly put them at risk? Your right, this is serious.
Decidedly and undeniably so, Hobes. And every measure available for prevention of spreading should and has to be taken regardless of all else.. My point was that the enemy is an invisible one and not easily identified. My eldest daughter is a full time carer to a seven year old and his school year has two identified cases of risk. We've told her she mustn't risk visiting us. My youngest daughter insists on doing shopping for us but has an 8 year-old daughter which puts us in worry-ville again. We're trying to do as much necessary shopping as possible on-line but you can only go so far. A lot of effort and patience are needed even within our four walls. That and some strong prayer.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25933
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:33 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:44 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:28 pm
My 69 year old neighbour informed me (laughingly) today that he could go out clubbing tonight if he wished whilst I must isolate myself. I told him to brush up on his semaphore as we should avoid directs speech contact. (He then went to the shop to pick a couple of items up, for us like the rest of the the good folk, everyone is doing their best). One of the ever-ready local advisory committee (I use the term jokingly) has informed the B.N that she has e-mailed her son's school for not acting sooner (sooner than what, the question occurs, people are not sight-seers or fortune tellers.) ??? Incidentally, the school in question is staying open at the moment, rightly or wrongly...

Seriously, since my wife and I are both over 70 we may soon be out of action for a while if this latest mandate activates..Family will help obviously, but where there are kids and grandkids involved, care is needed. My granddaughter left some shopping on our doorstep today and we left money likewise. It's serious....
There are Tango still a lot of the 'it's only flu/bad cold' types out there, flu and bad colds don't shut down countries.
My parents are both over 85 and to be honest going out is a way of life to them staying put will do them no good at all and then the problem is do we visit and possibly put them at risk? Your right, this is serious.
I hate when people say stuff like this. The severity of symptoms for most people will be like a flu or a cold. BUT there is a percentage of people, 12% roughly who end up in trouble.

The difference between this and flu is that flu we can protect vulnerable groups and achieve herd immunity with vaccines - with this everyone in the country who is exposed will get it. Nobody is protected. So 12% is a small % (and not out of line with flu) BUT its 12% of a massive number.

That's why steps are being taken.

And that's why your parents will have to isolate themselves - because they are far more likely to require hospitalization if they get it, and if everyone who might need hospitalization gets it too early then the NHS is dead.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12843
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:33 am
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:44 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:28 pm
My 69 year old neighbour informed me (laughingly) today that he could go out clubbing tonight if he wished whilst I must isolate myself. I told him to brush up on his semaphore as we should avoid directs speech contact. (He then went to the shop to pick a couple of items up, for us like the rest of the the good folk, everyone is doing their best). One of the ever-ready local advisory committee (I use the term jokingly) has informed the B.N that she has e-mailed her son's school for not acting sooner (sooner than what, the question occurs, people are not sight-seers or fortune tellers.) ??? Incidentally, the school in question is staying open at the moment, rightly or wrongly...

Seriously, since my wife and I are both over 70 we may soon be out of action for a while if this latest mandate activates..Family will help obviously, but where there are kids and grandkids involved, care is needed. My granddaughter left some shopping on our doorstep today and we left money likewise. It's serious....
There are Tango still a lot of the 'it's only flu/bad cold' types out there, flu and bad colds don't shut down countries.
My parents are both over 85 and to be honest going out is a way of life to them staying put will do them no good at all and then the problem is do we visit and possibly put them at risk? Your right, this is serious.
I hate when people say stuff like this. The severity of symptoms for most people will be like a flu or a cold. BUT there is a percentage of people, 12% roughly who end up in trouble.

The difference between this and flu is that flu we can protect vulnerable groups and achieve herd immunity with vaccines - with this everyone in the country who is exposed will get it. Nobody is protected. So 12% is a small % (and not out of line with flu) BUT its 12% of a massive number.

That's why steps are being taken.

And that's why your parents will have to isolate themselves - because they are far more likely to require hospitalization if they get it, and if everyone who might need hospitalization gets it too early then the NHS is dead.
You are happy with the herd mentality, fine you stick to it, me, avoid act with caution and remember this virus is one mutation away from flattening the youth and the herd. It's mutated once already.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25933
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:17 am

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:33 am
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:44 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:28 pm
My 69 year old neighbour informed me (laughingly) today that he could go out clubbing tonight if he wished whilst I must isolate myself. I told him to brush up on his semaphore as we should avoid directs speech contact. (He then went to the shop to pick a couple of items up, for us like the rest of the the good folk, everyone is doing their best). One of the ever-ready local advisory committee (I use the term jokingly) has informed the B.N that she has e-mailed her son's school for not acting sooner (sooner than what, the question occurs, people are not sight-seers or fortune tellers.) ??? Incidentally, the school in question is staying open at the moment, rightly or wrongly...

Seriously, since my wife and I are both over 70 we may soon be out of action for a while if this latest mandate activates..Family will help obviously, but where there are kids and grandkids involved, care is needed. My granddaughter left some shopping on our doorstep today and we left money likewise. It's serious....
There are Tango still a lot of the 'it's only flu/bad cold' types out there, flu and bad colds don't shut down countries.
My parents are both over 85 and to be honest going out is a way of life to them staying put will do them no good at all and then the problem is do we visit and possibly put them at risk? Your right, this is serious.
I hate when people say stuff like this. The severity of symptoms for most people will be like a flu or a cold. BUT there is a percentage of people, 12% roughly who end up in trouble.

The difference between this and flu is that flu we can protect vulnerable groups and achieve herd immunity with vaccines - with this everyone in the country who is exposed will get it. Nobody is protected. So 12% is a small % (and not out of line with flu) BUT its 12% of a massive number.

That's why steps are being taken.

And that's why your parents will have to isolate themselves - because they are far more likely to require hospitalization if they get it, and if everyone who might need hospitalization gets it too early then the NHS is dead.
You are happy with the herd mentality, fine you stick to it, me, avoid act with caution and remember this virus is one mutation away from flattening the youth and the herd. It's mutated once already.
Hang on - this is a virus that we can't stop people getting. The only way to stop it is for everyone to strictly isolate themselves until a vaccine is widely available - so about 18 months time if we're lucky.

Its not about being "happy" the problem is this is too infectious to stop and its modes of transmission include via airborne droplets - so even if you wore gloves and a facemask you can still get it.

You cannot stop it. And yes it can mutate - generally selective pressure on viruses mean they mutate to be less deadly - because that preserves them better. It doesn't mean it won't get worse. However, if you're worried about a mutation you're better off getting it early and having immunity.

Are you going to stay at home with no visitors for 18 months - if so then you have a reasonable chance of not getting it. Otherwise odds are you will get it. And nothing any government can do will stop that. The first case in China was November - but the disease wasn't even recorded. To stop it spreading you'd have had to close every border then. By the time anyone started to worry it was already too late.

So we have to deal with where we are - which is that unless 18 months the world shuts down completely - we're going to see lots getting it, and best we can do is protect vulnerable groups by slowing the spread.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12843
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:14 pm

So now we have the UK government hiding the true number of cases by only testing those in hospital, great! Gone down well with the WHO that has.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23357
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:14 pm
So now we have the UK government hiding the true number of cases by only testing those in hospital, great! Gone down well with the WHO that has.
Not sure they're trying to hide it, they just don't have enough capacity...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7193
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:38 pm

I dont understand this talk of immunity as last week it was said it could be caught twice, so catching this once isn't like catching chicken pox :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23357
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:38 pm
I dont understand this talk of immunity as last week it was said it could be caught twice, so catching this once isn't like catching chicken pox :conf:
Maybe I shouldn't have dropped the kids over the fence to next door's...Problem is they don't know so they're guessing.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3550
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by malcd1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:38 pm
I dont understand this talk of immunity as last week it was said it could be caught twice, so catching this once isn't like catching chicken pox :conf:

I read an article yesterday about the same thing, HG. A tour guide in China was supposed to have caught it, recovered and caught it again. Unfortunately, there is not enough evidence to say either she had it at first or even fully recovered (there was around 3 weeks from the first diagnosis to the second). This article said there is not enough known about the virus to say if this is true or not. :conf:
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12843
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:19 pm

And we call toilet roll hoarders! Just read there is a 68% increase in gun sales in some US states

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23357
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:19 pm
And we call toilet roll hoarders! Just read there is a 68% increase in gun sales in some US states
US buy guns, Netherlands have been queuing round the block for weed, we do bog rolls.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12843
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:24 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:19 pm
And we call toilet roll hoarders! Just read there is a 68% increase in gun sales in some US states
US buy guns, Netherlands have been queuing round the block for weed, we do bog rolls.
:lol: but the thing is when they interviewed people in the queue they said it was to use on food looters if supplies got short.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23357
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:41 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:24 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:19 pm
And we call toilet roll hoarders! Just read there is a 68% increase in gun sales in some US states
US buy guns, Netherlands have been queuing round the block for weed, we do bog rolls.
:lol: but the thing is when they interviewed people in the queue they said it was to use on food looters if supplies got short.
We already know about your private stash mate....maybe you oughta stock up on a couple! :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12843
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:56 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:41 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:24 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:19 pm
And we call toilet roll hoarders! Just read there is a 68% increase in gun sales in some US states
US buy guns, Netherlands have been queuing round the block for weed, we do bog rolls.
:lol: but the thing is when they interviewed people in the queue they said it was to use on food looters if supplies got short.
We already know about your private stash mate....maybe you oughta stock up on a couple! :D
:D bit more reading and it seems the best seller in the USA,
Hyatt said that the type of guns being bought was reflective of the fear prevalent among customers. There was almost no interest in hunting rifles. Instead, people were opting for target guns and there was big demand for AR-15 semi-automatic assault-style rifles.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23357
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:44 pm

fecking lunatics.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12843
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:08 am

Advice on whether schools should close in the UK may change before Easter, according to London’s mayor Sadiq Khan, who attended a meeting of the government’s Cobra emergency committee for the first time yesterday.

Khan, who said he had been frustrated for some time there was not a London presence at the meeting but was glad to be invited,
Oh whoopee doo, what about a manchester presence or Brum or Leeds etc.

Feck off Khan your only a fecking Mayor, a useless one to boot.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests