Wine

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wine

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Bought into Naked Wines Seasonal Deal this year. Seems like a decent selection, 16 bottles of wine plus a Champers plus a Port plus various free odds and sods. The problem is though that they're getting delivered today, so, if I'm honest, Clive James has more chance of seeing Christmas.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Bought into Naked Wines Seasonal Deal this year. Seems like a decent selection, 16 bottles of wine plus a Champers plus a Port plus various free odds and sods. The problem is though that they're getting delivered today, so, if I'm honest, Clive James has more chance of seeing Christmas.
Be strong! Remember the diet!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Bought into Naked Wines Seasonal Deal this year. Seems like a decent selection, 16 bottles of wine plus a Champers plus a Port plus various free odds and sods. The problem is though that they're getting delivered today, so, if I'm honest, Clive James has more chance of seeing Christmas.
Ours was delivered today.. A really good selection last year.. Lasted almost a week too, which was good
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:38 pm

I bought some wine from Virgin recently, very disappointing. Naked was much better, will give it a go again in the New Year.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:24 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I bought some wine from Virgin recently, very disappointing. Naked was much better, will give it a go again in the New Year.
Don't be surprised if Wigan White is around shortly to comment on your post!!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Majestic have got 33% off all Rioja 'til monday. Some real bargains* to be had. And its only a minimum 6 bottle purchase these days with free delivery.

*Bargain is quite a pejorative word, but the overwhelming majority are genuine discounts from what are usually the cheapest decent Rioja retailers on the market.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:15 am

Surely 33% off Rioja belongs in the Fight the Flab thread.... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:43 pm

Majestic actually f*cked up and sent me better wines than I'd ordered. I'm not complaining.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:48 pm

The daftness and delights of Aldi continue...

Did anyone else see the supermarket champagne tasting in The Guardian last week?

They did a blind taste test of every supermarket's 'The Best... Taste the Difference... etc' own brand champagne, typically around £20 - 25 mark. And sneaked a £90.00 quid number in as well.

The joint winner? The 90.00 quid number. And Aldi's £9.99 Montigny brut... :shock:

I bought one onf these last Saturday - it didn't cost £90...

i also bought a £5.99 (I think) Valenciana Red, Gran Reserva from Utiel-Requena from their 'Exquisite' range. Glass no 2 is before me now. This is a real bargain. Give it a bit of air, it has fruit and finish, medium-full and 13.5 abv.

Tempranillo and four other grapes. smooth. Just impossible to get this good at this price. Pasta Puttanesca awaits... :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:51 pm

It was bream tonight from the market - and not as good as anticipated.

However, the wine was revelatory - an English dry white, aromatic, quite acidic, from Gloucestershire. Called Three Choirs from the Stonebrook Estate. The best English wine I've tasted.

We bought it from The Wine Society - part of an 'Adventurers Case' of wines from unusual places - in this case Montenegro, Slovenia, Uruguay - and Gloucester. Nothing wrong with an adventure starting on the Welsh border. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:54 pm

William the White wrote:It was bream tonight from the market - and not as good as anticipated.

However, the wine was revelatory - an English dry white, aromatic, quite acidic, from Gloucestershire. Called Three Choirs from the Stonebrook Estate. The best English wine I've tasted.

We bought it from The Wine Society - part of an 'Adventurers Case' of wines from unusual places - in this case Montenegro, Slovenia, Uruguay - and Gloucester. Nothing wrong with an adventure starting on the Welsh border. :D
What was your level of bream anticipation?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:It was bream tonight from the market - and not as good as anticipated.

Bought it from my favourite fishmonger - expected it to be very good. It was all right.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:58 am

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Bought it from my favourite fishmonger - expected it to be very good. It was all right.
Hmm. Got some gilt-head bream from the same place once. Was very good indeed. Mind you, I baked it with garlic and rosemary which, of course, may have been key.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Bream and snapper and whiting along with tailor are probably the most commonly caught fish by amateur shore fishers in this neck of the woods. To my palate the bream and snapper are fine but the whiting is my preferred fresh food treat. I've only ever caught one tailor and it went back home as it was a bit small (but they are a good fighting fish for the sportsmen among us, although a good strong trace is essential if you want to retrieve your hook and lure) so I can't judge it on the fresh food scale.

Estuary fishing will bring a whole host of targets, the most common is probably the flathead. It too is quite good when freshly caught, scaled and gutted. They seem to like sandy bottoms; my wife caught a 750mm beast on a hand-reel once just tossing in the hook and bait from the shoreline (needless to say I caught nothing that day). Supermarket frozen fish? 'Nuff said. Cooking? Like steak and other meat I prefer it as it is; basting it with bits and bobs such as garlic and herbs seems to me a waste of a good tasting morsel, as does slathering the finished product with a sauce or gravy.

Freshwater fishing I have not tried. Trout and bass are readily available if you want to travel many miles to find a suitable river or creek or a stocked lake. Bass is a protected species though as the European Carp has made a mess of the locals over the years. The carp grow to huge sizes and should never be released back to the wild. I doubt that they'd make good eating anyway. I do have a river within about a ten to fifteen minute drive but I've been told that the only thing to be found there is mullet, which I have also been advised is a muddy tasting piece of the piscean world.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Ice Wine. I'd never heard of it before tonight. A bit of me would like to try it but most of me cannot stand sweet / dessert wines. Maybe with a bit of blue cheese perhaps? Anyone?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Ice Wine. I'd never heard of it before tonight. A bit of me would like to try it but most of me cannot stand sweet / dessert wines. Maybe with a bit of blue cheese perhaps? Anyone?
Don't know Ice Wine. But sweet wines and blue cheese are an outstanding match for each other (was LK that first pointed me this way, and I'm very glad he did).

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:39 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Ice Wine. I'd never heard of it before tonight. A bit of me would like to try it but most of me cannot stand sweet / dessert wines. Maybe with a bit of blue cheese perhaps? Anyone?
Don't know Ice Wine. But sweet wines and blue cheese are an outstanding match for each other (was LK that first pointed me this way, and I'm very glad he did).
Preferably port and Stilton. I'm not sure what is this Ice Wine, but the German equivalent, Eiswein, has been around for many years. I have had it and enjoyed. It isn't made every year but only when an early unexpected frost freezes the grapes on the vines. I suppose that, since it have been a success, it may be made every year through artificial means.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:11 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:
Preferably port and Stilton. I'm not sure what is this Ice Wine, but the German equivalent, Eiswein, has been around for many years. I have had it and enjoyed. It isn't made every year but only when an early unexpected frost freezes the grapes on the vines. I suppose that, since it have been a success, it may be made every year through artificial means.
Apparently Canada is one of its major producers.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:
Apparently Canada is one of its major producers.
Yes, I've seen it in the stores along with Ice Cider, but I've never tried it and no nothing about it except it seemed to me to be overpriced.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:29 pm

William the White wrote:
No wine buff me, but I've had a glass or two of a nice Spanish sweet sherry with slices of mature Blue Stilton over the period. Gets a thumbs up from me.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?