Wine

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Wine

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:This is finally a topic that I know something about - actually quite a lot about... :wink: However, my ignorance of what is available in local supermarkets and wine stores may be considered absolute. There used to be a great off license in Horwich (oddly enough) but that was in the early 70s before supermarkets. Someone wanted high alcohol content - I would suggest Amarone which cannot be bottled at less than 15%. However, WtW is correct, IMHO, that the best wines come from Burgundy and, in particular, the Cote de Beaune (Cote d'Or and Cote de Nuits - sorry about the circumflex). However, this does not mean that other areas don't produce great stuff. In France I also like the white wines of the Loire from Pouilly and Sancerre, but I'm not that fond of Bordeaux (i.e. Burgundy is better). I feel Chilean wines are better than Argentina's, but that may just be Falkland prejudice. Australian wines used to be good value but tend to be overpriced these days.

My advice is, when in doubt, consult Hugh Johnson.
Wright's on Chorley New Road? It's still there if that's the one. Never been there, mind.
I can't recall the name, BD, after 40 years. It was on the north side of Chorley New Road between Victoria Road and Winter Hey Lane.It wasn't a big place but the owner had an interest in French and German wines and kept some good stuff you could not easily get elsewhere. He'll be dead now for sure, or at least in a home, but the store might go on. It was odd to find that kind of selection in Horwich, when it would be hard to find in Manchester.
Tommy Wrights remains where it was .... now a double fronted place just up from waht used to be "the Black Dog" just before (or after, depends whether you're buying or selling) what is known as the bridge ... the old hump-back railway bridge. The Dog is what Tony Knowles took over as aa snooker club for a few years.

Interestingly for Horwichers everyone lives "over the bridge" whatever side you are on.

TW's remains a large, independent off license. He must have some special links to local buyers & restaurants as it shouldn't be able to hold off the inexorable march of the supermarkets.

http://www.twrightwine.co.uk/help/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice to see they survive.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Aldi have got their Toro Loco Tempranillo in at £3.59 a bottle again. I have no snobbery when it comes to wine and frankly, I know very little about it but it's smooth, warm and very drinkable as far as I'm concerned. For less than the change in your pocket, what's to lose in trying a bottle?
Nowt wrong with Aldi's wine, Bob. Decent selection - decent stuff - very well priced. :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Aldi have got their Toro Loco Tempranillo in at £3.59 a bottle again. I have no snobbery when it comes to wine and frankly, I know very little about it but it's smooth, warm and very drinkable as far as I'm concerned. For less than the change in your pocket, what's to lose in trying a bottle?
Nowt wrong with Aldi's wine, Bob. Decent selection - decent stuff - very well priced. :oyea:
Indeed, vintner of choice for the discerning. That tempranillo is nice sipping wine and the macon-villages is a steal at £4.99.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Will give those Aldi wines a whirl. Cheers. Any other whites of theirs come recommended?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Will give those Aldi wines a whirl. Cheers. Any other whites of theirs come recommended?
Not a white drinker missen, BP. However, if you're ever looking for a red that'll pretty much hit everyone's spot then I can recommend their Cambalala Pinotage Shiraz. Full of fruit flavours and very uncomplicated. Just under £4 a bottle, too.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:Will give those Aldi wines a whirl. Cheers. Any other whites of theirs come recommended?
Not a white drinker missen, BP. However, if you're ever looking for a red that'll pretty much hit everyone's spot then I can recommend their Cambalala Pinotage Shiraz. Full of fruit flavours and very uncomplicated. Just under £4 a bottle, too.
I prefer red but rarely drink it, bizarrely enough. For no particular reason we tend to stick with chardonnay. Will try to rectify the situation with yours and Bob's recommendations. In the interests of balance, i'll give Will's suggestion a go too. :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Not a connoisseur but some wines I do like. I only drink white as red or rose are migraine triggers for me. The Ogio pinot grigio that Tesco sells is very nice, although I wait for it to be on special offer from £10 to £5 which they often do.

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Chardonnay is a good sip and I do like the odd Macon-Villages, but if you're looking for a crisp, fruity wine I would highly reccommend the Blossom Hill Californian from Tesco/ Sainsburys/ Morrissons.

All priced around the £5 to £7 mark and my tipples of choice indoors.

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:09 am

I don't drink.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:16 am

Do you not get really thirsty doing that?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 am

:lol:
Lord Kangana wrote:Do you not get really thirsty doing that?
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:This is finally a topic that I know something about - actually quite a lot about... :wink: However, my ignorance of what is available in local supermarkets and wine stores may be considered absolute. There used to be a great off license in Horwich (oddly enough) but that was in the early 70s before supermarkets. Someone wanted high alcohol content - I would suggest Amarone which cannot be bottled at less than 15%. However, WtW is correct, IMHO, that the best wines come from Burgundy and, in particular, the Cote de Beaune (Cote d'Or and Cote de Nuits - sorry about the circumflex). However, this does not mean that other areas don't produce great stuff. In France I also like the white wines of the Loire from Pouilly and Sancerre, but I'm not that fond of Bordeaux (i.e. Burgundy is better). I feel Chilean wines are better than Argentina's, but that may just be Falkland prejudice. Australian wines used to be good value but tend to be overpriced these days.

My advice is, when in doubt, consult Hugh Johnson.
Wright's on Chorley New Road? It's still there if that's the one. Never been there, mind.
I can't recall the name, BD, after 40 years. It was on the north side of Chorley New Road between Victoria Road and Winter Hey Lane.It wasn't a big place but the owner had an interest in French and German wines and kept some good stuff you could not easily get elsewhere. He'll be dead now for sure, or at least in a home, but the store might go on. It was odd to find that kind of selection in Horwich, when it would be hard to find in Manchester.
Tommy Wrights remains where it was .... now a double fronted place just up from waht used to be "the Black Dog" just before (or after, depends whether you're buying or selling) what is known as the bridge ... the old hump-back railway bridge. The Dog is what Tony Knowles took over as aa snooker club for a few years.

Interestingly for Horwichers everyone lives "over the bridge" whatever side you are on.

TW's remains a large, independent off license. He must have some special links to local buyers & restaurants as it shouldn't be able to hold off the inexorable march of the supermarkets.

http://www.twrightwine.co.uk/help/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice to see they survive.
That must be the one then, Bobo. The owner, circa 1971, (Tommy?) certainly had connections with European growers and he brought in an interesting selection not readily available elsewhere. He was knowledgeable to chat too as well, which I'm not sure would happen in supermarkets. I would guess the younger generation have taken over by now.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:40 am

I think it's wine making time for us next weekend. Get a load of 'em from some place in Italy and make enough to last a year. I don't drink it myself really, but with an Italian family it gets drunk. I don't even know which grape variety to be honest, I suppose I could find out if anyone cares.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:49 pm

Beefheart wrote:I think it's wine making time for us next weekend. Get a load of 'em from some place in Italy and make enough to last a year. I don't drink it myself really, but with an Italian family it gets drunk. I don't even know which grape variety to be honest, I suppose I could find out if anyone cares.
We do! Any surplus, you know where to look! :wink:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:00 pm

William the White wrote:the macon-villages is a steal at £4.99
Can't argue with that - it's going very well with a smoked salmon risotto.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:40 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
William the White wrote:the macon-villages is a steal at £4.99
Can't argue with that - it's going very well with a smoked salmon risotto.
Yeah... there's something really great about the combination of fish and rice, I reckon... My fave is a monkfish paella... Love making it... Love eating it...

Have a glass of the Aldi spesh in front of me now... :D

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Wine............

I really need a feckin case of it after todays performance. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm

William the White wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote: I just picked up 2 bottles of sainsburys own portugese red, vinho tinto it says, £4.99 each - its really nice tbf.
General - I'm absolutely convinced that if you went out with the specific purpose of bringing home a less than excellent Portuguese red then you'd come home empty handed. Seriously.
i went just thinking 'Portugese' and 'Sainsburys own' so didnt do bad...
Does it give a hint of where it's from on the label? It may well be an Alentejo growers cooperative. Quality variable but sometimes unbelievably good for under a fiver.

The 'standard' - and often - 'classy' Portuguese reds are Douro (my fave) and Dao...
have just got on the train with a bottle of your Douro tackle, tis very nice.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Morrisons has a very nice Chilean Viognier from Cono Sur at £5.99.

Serve well chilled, a little honey there and lots of fruit once the air gets to it... Slightly off dry, full... First came across this grape when at Byrne Bros in Clitheroe - a Spanish wine that I've never seen since... delicious though. Have since enjoyed in French, Californian, Oz and Chilean versions... I'm told it nearly died out entirely in the 60s - at one stage only a few Rhone vineyards using it... Now with a new lease of life... Had it with spicy veg tonight... :D

Also Morrisons has an offer on the Chilean Carmenere from Maipo that Bruce really likes - this one a Reserva Especial at £5.99. I bought a bottle but not tried yet. It'll be good, medium bodied, tasty...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw2gGfD5R4g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:48 pm

Excellent... Both my reccos come into the 'you know, that's all right' category. :D