Wine

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wine

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Haha.. Rowan is the owner..

He phoned us once, whilst the missus was pregnant. Asked us if there was a reason behind us not ordering for a while, despite paying our standing order. Told him the reason and he put a marker on the system for a free bottle of champagne when we made our next order!

Also the other day, we got a voucher out of some magazine which was £20 free in your account for new customers. emailed them asking if they could put it on ours as a 'valued customer' and they replied simply with "Done!" and applied the £20

Can't fault their service in fairness
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote: Keep getting emails from some bloke called Rowan saying how guilty he feels about having my cash AND my wine. Time to put the poor b#std out of his misery, he must be spending hours writing me these emails.
I was getting those, too. Even had one offering to pick a dozen reds for me and if I didn't like any then I could have them for free. Didn't take them up on it though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 pm

boltonboris wrote:Told him the reason and he put a marker on the system for a free bottle of champagne when we made our next order!
Did they send you the Moutard, Boris? feck*' gawjuss!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Can't remember as it was a while ago... It didn't last long though, I can tell you that

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:18 pm

It's a good business model, and the wines are nicer than the ones I've had from Virgin. Problem with buying so many at once is that I know they are in the house!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Ah, just found my order conf. I bought;

Negreiros Douro 2009 £15.99 - 1
Montaria Premium 2011 £12.99 - 1
Montaria Reserva 2011 £10.99 - 2
Montaria 2012 £8.99 - 4
Valpolicella Ripasso DOC 2011 £15.99 - 2
Sartirano Barolo DOCG 2009 £19.99 - 2

I absolutely love the Portuguese Montaria so it generally makes up around a half of any order I place with NW. Prices are per bottle.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:15 pm

I've tried the Montaria actually.. I possibly even recommended it?

We also make sure there are a couple of Arabella's in our box too. Relatively cheap at about £7.99 and always a really good bottle

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Ah, just found my order conf. I bought;

Montaria 2012 £8.99 - 4

I absolutely love the Portuguese Montaria so it generally makes up around a half of any order I place with NW. Prices are per bottle.
I see you have a pricey Douro there, Bruce. Need any help drinking it? I could bring some sardines along... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:35 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Ah, just found my order conf. I bought;

Montaria 2012 £8.99 - 4

I see you have a pricey Douro there, Bruce. Need any help drinking it? I could bring some sardines along... :D
Sounds perfect, William. You're welcome anytime. :)

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Yellow Tail Australian Shiraz reduced to £4.99 a bottle in my local Tesco Express. Makes up for the Ashes I suppose..... :oyea:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 pm

The Byrne family latest promotion is a Spanish Red one - More expensive than their usual promotions but... it will be very high quality, of that I'm confident.

http://www.dbyrne-finewines.co.uk/newsletter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very tempted...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Vina Real is a more Burgundian style. The reservas and gran reservas are usually very good and long lived.

Further down that page William, by the way, is a La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 2001 for £29.99. This will be worth significantly more in just a few years, and most people are punting it on for more than Byrne's at the moment. Depends how flush you're feeling!
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Decided to take advantage of Marks and Sparks in Manchester's buy-6-get-25% off to experience some new or fairly unusual stuff.

Bottle each of Israeli, Slovenian, Lebanese, Macedonian, Greek and German (red) wine. Seems like a good selection, makes a nice change from the norm.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:51 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Decided to take advantage of Marks and Sparks in Manchester's buy-6-get-25% off to experience some new or fairly unusual stuff.

Bottle each of Israeli, Slovenian, Lebanese, Macedonian, Greek and German (red) wine. Seems like a good selection, makes a nice change from the norm.
I've never heard much good about rotwein but one never knows. Report back on these, milord.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:23 pm

With global warming its meant to be the business, Monty. Effectively, Burgundian conditions from 30 years ago have migrated north to Allemagne. With Southern England now being a great alternative to Champagne, I'm sure the French are positively ecstatic about the possibilities of trying new and exciting foreign wines in two countries they share such camaraderie with :D .

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:With global warming its meant to be the business, Monty. Effectively, Burgundian conditions from 30 years ago have migrated north to Allemagne. With Southern England now being a great alternative to Champagne, I'm sure the French are positively ecstatic about the possibilities of trying new and exciting foreign wines in two countries they share such camaraderie with :D .
:D Interesting - I guess I'm a bit out of date.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 am

I've been meaning to try it for a couple of years now, but German Pinot is expensive - anything worth drinking is coming in over 25 quid generally (according to all the recommendations). Its the first time I've seen a bottle for a tenner, so I didn't want to miss the opportunity. It may well be rubbish for that price, but you've got to dip your toe somewhere.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:16 pm

Laithwaites offering a case of 12 Portugese black reds again. Be rude not to!

2 x Valoroso Cabernet Touriga Nacional Syrah, 3 x Giesta, 3 x Quintas das Mouras and 3 x Quinta do Esperitio Santo. I topped up the case with two bottles of the marvellous Andrew McPherson's The Full Fifteen.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Just for you Bruce....

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2 ... -shortage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Decided to take advantage of Marks and Sparks in Manchester's buy-6-get-25% off to experience some new or fairly unusual stuff.

Four days in Istanbul were enhanced by the gobsmacking (for me) discovery that Turkey makes excellent wines - both white and red. Like we are talking good, very good. So it may be only one restaurant in three that serves alcohol, but when they do it's worth drinking, sip by sip. I was told that the islamic government taxes it highly (governments enjoy taxing sin and transgression, don't they?) and that keeps it off most people's tables, but that the industry is growing significantly.