Technology Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Technology Thread.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:03 pm

The Samsung Galaxy S6 arrived today. It's quite possibly the most user-unfriendly piece of kit that I've ever encountered. I apologise in advance for the number of Bobo-isms over the coming weeks.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:The Samsung Galaxy S6 arrived today. It's quite possibly the most user-unfriendly piece of kit that I've ever encountered. I apologise in advance for the number of Bobo-isms over the coming weeks.

ahh - you've been babied by apple??

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:15 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:The Samsung Galaxy S6 arrived today. It's quite possibly the most user-unfriendly piece of kit that I've ever encountered. I apologise in advance for the number of Bobo-isms over the coming weeks.

ahh - you've been babied by apple??
I've been what? That bed-wetting, tedious 4ucker from Coldplay has a baby called Apple. Is this related to your comment? :conf:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:19 am

I have owned 1 Samsung phone and it was so bad I vowed never to have one again. This was before smartphone as we know them today though. For all their faults I stick to HTC.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Right, so, and at the risk of nominating myself for an 'Enfield', I've now got my tunes over from Itunes onto my new phone where they're all stred on the Google Play Music app. However, I need to copy them over into the Samsung Songs app which is where my Nike+ has decided to take its music from (An which only contains one pre-loaded tune). Anyone now how to do that? Or alternatively how do I get Nike+ to take tunes from the Google music app instead? Anyone? Any assistance truly appreciated and will be rewarded with an actual pint at some point.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Not having a Nike+, I could be talking bollocks here, but that's never bothered me previously. Most music type devices have something in thier application "settings" or "options" in the software that came with them, to point to where the music library that they need to read is located. Could be a complete stab in the dark but might be worth checking out... Dunno if Nike+ is similar

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Not having a Nike+, I could be talking bollocks here, but that's never bothered me previously. Most music type devices have something in thier application "settings" or "options" in the software that came with them, to point to where the music library that they need to read is located. Could be a complete stab in the dark but might be worth checking out... Dunno if Nike+ is similar
See, that's just it. Settings only allows you to turn the music on or off. I can't find anything that let's you direct it.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Not having a Nike+, I could be talking bollocks here, but that's never bothered me previously. Most music type devices have something in thier application "settings" or "options" in the software that came with them, to point to where the music library that they need to read is located. Could be a complete stab in the dark but might be worth checking out... Dunno if Nike+ is similar
See, that's just it. Settings only allows you to turn the music on or off. I can't find anything that let's you direct it.
Hmmmm.

http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... ogle-music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:06 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hmmmm.

http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... ogle-music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers Malc. I'll have a crack at copying and pasting as fannying about on the start line opening up two apps isn't ideal.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
malcd1 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hmmmm.

Cheers Malc. I'll have a crack at copying and pasting as fannying about on the start line opening up two apps isn't ideal.
Sounds like the only way. Not ideal but it should be easy enough. :lol:
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Right, so, and at the risk of nominating myself for an 'Enfield', I've now got my tunes over from Itunes onto my new phone where they're all stred on the Google Play Music app. However, I need to copy them over into the Samsung Songs app which is where my Nike+ has decided to take its music from (An which only contains one pre-loaded tune). Anyone now how to do that? Or alternatively how do I get Nike+ to take tunes from the Google music app instead? Anyone? Any assistance truly appreciated and will be rewarded with an actual pint at some point.

feck you! :grin:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Wonderful stuff technology. Last week my pc screen blew its backlights. Repair, expensive and it'll still have lived its life so I had to buy a new one. Now, wife's washing machine,a Bosch that has been brilliant is starting to suffer from old age. Today my T.V, again a Sharp that has been spot on, decided to die on me. Sheesh, what next.

Technology on the hoof...Took a pair of everyday shoes into Timpsons to have rubber heel plates fitted. "That'll be £16=99 Sir." For another four quid I can buy a pair of new ones that'll do for walking the dog. .

And tomorrow..???
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 pm

My old iMac, bought in late 2009, was still running perfectly but the software I am running now (mainly Adobe) is far more demanding and the photo files are much bigger than they were back then. Consequently I've just been into Apple and ordered a new 4.2ghz 27" iMac with 16gb memory, 4gb video card and 3tb fusion drive. If I get over 6yrs out of this one I'll be well pleased.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 05, 2016 3:23 pm

As stated last week my Sharp TV finally popped its clogs on Thurday. Had a scout around the internet then a trip to P.C World/Currys up Tonge Moor Road.. These two are integrating into one store so a lot of stock shifting and not much on display. Not the world's greatest telly watcher because I can rarely watch any of the stuff the wife does on the other set in the lounge, but I do like my own programmes and my Sharp set was linked to a D.V.D Player which I use quite a bit. Any how, it arrived and I got sorted today.....

Didn't need a whistles and bells thing because I don't need gaming stuff etc, but I ended up with what seems a real good buy: A Seiki 32" TV with the DVD player inbuilt into it. Picture and sound are spot on, surround sound feature and the DVD is absolutely crystal clear so I can dispense with linking the old D.V.D player to it. £169 the lot including extra cables. Well chuffed and just in time for Peaky Blinders... :wink:

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon May 09, 2016 6:32 pm

Unlike some here, I am into everything Apple. I have had an iphone since the 3 and last November upgraded to a 6S Plus. Two weeks ago my phone finally started doing something that makes me go 'WTF?"

Every time I get in my car, and with my phone on standby with a darkened screen, it will inform me how far from home I am, how long it will take me to get there and what traffic conditions are.

As far as I remember I have never told my phone where I live, but even more wow'ish though is how the blithering crin does it know I am getting in my car and wake itself to give me this information?

Or am I just easily impressed?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 09, 2016 7:09 pm

clapton is god wrote:Unlike some here, I am into everything Apple. I have had an iphone since the 3 and last November upgraded to a 6S Plus. Two weeks ago my phone finally started doing something that makes me go 'WTF?"

Every time I get in my car, and with my phone on standby with a darkened screen, it will inform me how far from home I am, how long it will take me to get there and what traffic conditions are.

As far as I remember I have never told my phone where I live, but even more wow'ish though is how the blithering crin does it know I am getting in my car and wake itself to give me this information? Or am I just easily impressed?
C.I.A. Have you bought a copy of Catcher in the Rye, lately? They're watching you, you know. :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Clearly you're just easily impressed - you're into everything Apple... :-)

I'm guessing it establishes a Bluetooth pair with your car? My Android has known this for years... :-)

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon May 09, 2016 7:26 pm

^ my first thought was a Bluetooth link but no, ignition still off and this lights up as I get into the car.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 09, 2016 7:48 pm

clapton is god wrote:^ my first thought was a Bluetooth link but no, ignition still off and this lights up as I get into the car.
The other way they can do it is based on you having frequent loactions turned on - not that you should be at all worried about all that data they're collecting...Big Brother and all that....

From Apple insider site...
With iOS 9, the iPhone knows when a user gets in their car because of a connection to the vehicle's infotainment system, either via Bluetooth or USB.

It can also do it by remembering where the car was when you switched off the engine (and lost the Bluetooth pair) - just "files away" the GPS co-ordinates.

If someone moved your car a mile down the road - not sure it would still know you've arrived at the car without the pair being active..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/a ... -move.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 09, 2016 7:59 pm

so - it's a good thing for someone who doesn't know where they are when they get into their car?? am I missing the significance of this ace technology??