Technology Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Technology Thread.

Post by clapton is god » Mon May 09, 2016 8:07 pm

^ Scary stuff! Thanks for the info. Good job Mrs C trusts me..... but then why did it only light up two weeks ago? Hmmm.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 09, 2016 8:50 pm

clapton is god wrote:^ Scary stuff! Thanks for the info. Good job Mrs C trusts me..... but then why did it only light up two weeks ago? Hmmm.
She has you on a tracker.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 09, 2016 9:05 pm

But Clapton's correct, is he not? If you buy all apple stuff then it all marries up, no? I'm having no end of bother with this cumbersome samsung phone for one!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 09, 2016 9:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:But Clapton's correct, is he not? If you buy all apple stuff then it all marries up, no? I'm having no end of bother with this cumbersome samsung phone for one!
Apple stuff marries up - Android stuff marries up... :conf:

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue May 10, 2016 12:24 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:But Clapton's correct, is he not? If you buy all apple stuff then it all marries up, no? I'm having no end of bother with this cumbersome samsung phone for one!
Apple stuff marries up - Android stuff marries up... :conf:
My new android copied everything from my old android onto it.

My girlfriend always buys the latest apple phone and is currently not using the most recent one because she has to start from scratch with contacts and such. I have no idea what she did/didn't do but she's blaming me and just using her old iphone.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 10, 2016 8:19 am

only with other apple stuff, surely?? (which is a more limited range of stuff than android stuff, I'd have thought...)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 10, 2016 9:24 am

thebish wrote:

only with other apple stuff, surely??
Which was exactly my point.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 10, 2016 9:31 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:

oh... well - as worthy said - if you buy all android stuff it all marries up! So what have we learned? cross-platform marrying up isn't straightforward! 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 10, 2016 9:35 am

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:

oh... well - as worthy said - if you buy all android stuff it all marries up! So what have we learned? cross-platform marrying up isn't straightforward! 8)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 10, 2016 9:49 am

no - that was MY point! :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 10, 2016 9:54 am

thebish wrote:no - that was MY point! :-)
That had already been made, by ME! :D

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue May 10, 2016 10:03 am

Yeah but android stuff also marries up with my windows phone - and my kindle tablet which is on amazons own platform, and my mp3 player that isn't really on a platform, and my laptop and basically everything that isn't apple.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 10, 2016 10:38 am

This is as much about operating systems as it is about devices. iOS is really good at many things as long as those things are Apple. It's not a bad operating system, but it's designed to work pretty much exclusively with other Apple iOS based products and is a long way from being OpenSource. So when you carry on buying Apple stuff, for a premium, it's almost certainly going to work with other Apple stuff. It doesn't play nicely with other non-Apple stuff though - that's by design not accident, they're happy to get your premium. You try to move off iOS based stuff and all of a sudden, that music you paid for (and should work on any device) is a right royal pain in the arse coz it's tied in, to iTunes.

Android on the other is designed to work with pretty much everything else (that isn't Apple - coz Apple wouldn't want it working with Apple) - So you can buy a phone from any manufacturer that wants to run Android - which is much better for choice and price, but the downside is that at ist kernel, there's more likelihood that a bit of it doesn't work on manufacturer X's latest device for example. That's why 82% of the market share is sat with Android.

Android (let me rephrase this - non-iOS - it could be an OS that isn't Android either if Google start to go proprietary) is almost certain to win the long term "battle" - as we move further towards the talking fridge :-) and the internet of things and, as the connectivity of things rises exponentially, the more things Apple will need to produce to retain that tie in - you'd need an "Apple Fridge" rather than any Android based fridge for example. Microsoft found this out (are finding this out) with their operating systems and the rise of Open Source Linux. People in general are fed up of paying a premium to be tied in to something proprietary. Smart manufacturing companies are not buying iOS based operational technology for their operational technology devices.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:This is as much about operating systems as it is about devices. iOS is really good at many things as long as those things are Apple. It's not a bad operating system, but it's designed to work pretty much exclusively with other Apple iOS based products and is a long way from being OpenSource. So when you carry on buying Apple stuff, for a premium, it's almost certainly going to work with other Apple stuff. It doesn't play nicely with other non-Apple stuff though - that's by design not accident, they're happy to get your premium. You try to move off iOS based stuff and all of a sudden, that music you paid for (and should work on any device) is a right royal pain in the arse coz it's tied in, to iTunes.

Android on the other is designed to work with pretty much everything else (that isn't Apple - coz Apple wouldn't want it working with Apple) - So you can buy a phone from any manufacturer that wants to run Android - which is much better for choice and price, but the downside is that at ist kernel, there's more likelihood that a bit of it doesn't work on manufacturer X's latest device for example. That's why 82% of the market share is sat with Android.

Android (let me rephrase this - non-iOS - it could be an OS that isn't Android either if Google start to go proprietary) is almost certain to win the long term "battle" - as we move further towards the talking fridge :-) and the internet of things and, as the connectivity of things rises exponentially, the more things Apple will need to produce to retain that tie in - you'd need an "Apple Fridge" rather than any Android based fridge for example. Microsoft found this out (are finding this out) with their operating systems and the rise of Open Source Linux. People in general are fed up of paying a premium to be tied in to something proprietary. Smart manufacturing companies are not buying iOS based operational technology for their operational technology devices.
Oh err!

Something's gone wrong with my screen!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 10, 2016 10:41 am

Is it iOS?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue May 10, 2016 10:46 am

Possibly, but I think the crossbeam went out askew on t'treadle.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 10, 2016 10:49 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:no - that was MY point! :-)
That had already been made, by ME! :D
nahhh - I streamed my point on my android device - it's just that your apple device couldn't compute! 8)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Enoch wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:This is as much about operating systems as it is about devices. iOS is really good at many things as long as those things are Apple. It's not a bad operating system, but it's designed to work pretty much exclusively with other Apple iOS based products and is a long way from being OpenSource. So when you carry on buying Apple stuff, for a premium, it's almost certainly going to work with other Apple stuff. It doesn't play nicely with other non-Apple stuff though - that's by design not accident, they're happy to get your premium. You try to move off iOS based stuff and all of a sudden, that music you paid for (and should work on any device) is a right royal pain in the arse coz it's tied in, to iTunes.

Oh err!

Something's gone wrong with my screen!
Or to put it another way...

The Apple Garden is very nice to look at and has some good features that compliment other parts of the Apple Garden. The problem starts when you want to rearrange the garden to suit you and your tastes. You can't bring in new plants without getting permission and they built the walls so fcuking high it's difficult to get out of.

You could of course go to the Android Garden, where you can do more or less what you want. Not necessarily as pretty as the Apple Garden, but it works just as well and you have the freedom to do what YOU want rather than what Tim Cook wants you to do.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 10, 2016 12:07 pm

True. Although my iPhone has better connectivity and features in my car than an Android phone does, for example. And my car isn't an "apple car".

I'm less convinced that it is really about open source and flexibility in the consumer market, I think over time people have realised they can get the same features on cheaper handsets.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 10, 2016 12:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

True. Although my iPhone has better connectivity and features in my car than an Android phone does, for example. And my car isn't an "apple car".

I'm less convinced that it is really about open source and flexibility in the consumer market, I think over time people have realised they can get the same features on cheaper handsets.
On what, are you basing that assertion?