Technology Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Technology Thread.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 10, 2016 12:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:And my car isn't an "apple car".
Yes it is, I've seen you in it. :)

May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue May 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:This is as much about operating systems as it is about devices. iOS is really good at many things as long as those things are Apple. It's not a bad operating system, but it's designed to work pretty much exclusively with other Apple iOS based products and is a long way from being OpenSource. So when you carry on buying Apple stuff, for a premium, it's almost certainly going to work with other Apple stuff. It doesn't play nicely with other non-Apple stuff though - that's by design not accident, they're happy to get your premium. You try to move off iOS based stuff and all of a sudden, that music you paid for (and should work on any device) is a right royal pain in the arse coz it's tied in, to iTunes.

Android on the other is designed to work with pretty much everything else (that isn't Apple - coz Apple wouldn't want it working with Apple) - So you can buy a phone from any manufacturer that wants to run Android - which is much better for choice and price, but the downside is that at ist kernel, there's more likelihood that a bit of it doesn't work on manufacturer X's latest device for example. That's why 82% of the market share is sat with Android.

Android (let me rephrase this - non-iOS - it could be an OS that isn't Android either if Google start to go proprietary) is almost certain to win the long term "battle" - as we move further towards the talking fridge :-) and the internet of things and, as the connectivity of things rises exponentially, the more things Apple will need to produce to retain that tie in - you'd need an "Apple Fridge" rather than any Android based fridge for example. Microsoft found this out (are finding this out) with their operating systems and the rise of Open Source Linux. People in general are fed up of paying a premium to be tied in to something proprietary. Smart manufacturing companies are not buying iOS based operational technology for their operational technology devices.
Oh err!

Something's gone wrong with my screen!
Or to put it another way...

The Apple Garden is very nice to look at and has some good features that compliment other parts of the Apple Garden. The problem starts when you want to rearrange the garden to suit you and your tastes. You can't bring in new plants without getting permission and they built the walls so fcuking high it's difficult to get out of.

You could of course go to the Android Garden, where you can do more or less what you want. Not necessarily as pretty as the Apple Garden, but it works just as well and you have the freedom to do what YOU want rather than what Tim Cook wants you to do.
Ah!

Fixed it. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 10, 2016 12:32 pm

A positive nod to technology:

Sometime last year I bought a Qualcast Strimmer, a very useful tool for several grass-related operations in ye garden. Yesterday the nylon cutting strings ran out. No bother, I had a spare spool, but where did I put that instruction manual? No idea love? Ah, gardening on hold till another day then dear?

Wife appears and sticks her Samsung phone with internet under my nose and there is a video on screen showing how to change the said component along with a commentary. Five minutes later, job sorted and gardening resumes. Oh, goody. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 10, 2016 12:48 pm

Enoch wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:This is as much about operating systems as it is about devices. iOS is really good at many things as long as those things are Apple. It's not a bad operating system, but it's designed to work pretty much exclusively with other Apple iOS based products and is a long way from being OpenSource. So when you carry on buying Apple stuff, for a premium, it's almost certainly going to work with other Apple stuff. It doesn't play nicely with other non-Apple stuff though - that's by design not accident, they're happy to get your premium. You try to move off iOS based stuff and all of a sudden, that music you paid for (and should work on any device) is a right royal pain in the arse coz it's tied in, to iTunes.

Android on the other is designed to work with pretty much everything else (that isn't Apple - coz Apple wouldn't want it working with Apple) - So you can buy a phone from any manufacturer that wants to run Android - which is much better for choice and price, but the downside is that at ist kernel, there's more likelihood that a bit of it doesn't work on manufacturer X's latest device for example. That's why 82% of the market share is sat with Android.

Android (let me rephrase this - non-iOS - it could be an OS that isn't Android either if Google start to go proprietary) is almost certain to win the long term "battle" - as we move further towards the talking fridge :-) and the internet of things and, as the connectivity of things rises exponentially, the more things Apple will need to produce to retain that tie in - you'd need an "Apple Fridge" rather than any Android based fridge for example. Microsoft found this out (are finding this out) with their operating systems and the rise of Open Source Linux. People in general are fed up of paying a premium to be tied in to something proprietary. Smart manufacturing companies are not buying iOS based operational technology for their operational technology devices.
Oh err!

Something's gone wrong with my screen!
Or to put it another way...

The Apple Garden is very nice to look at and has some good features that compliment other parts of the Apple Garden. The problem starts when you want to rearrange the garden to suit you and your tastes. You can't bring in new plants without getting permission and they built the walls so fcuking high it's difficult to get out of.

You could of course go to the Android Garden, where you can do more or less what you want. Not necessarily as pretty as the Apple Garden, but it works just as well and you have the freedom to do what YOU want rather than what Tim Cook wants you to do.
Ah!

Fixed it. :D
Happy to be of assistance. If that was an Apple Garden then a hefty invoice would be on it's way :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 17, 2016 2:13 pm

I'm usually a bit behind the times with tech... so - imagine my delight when I discovered (yesterday) that with no extra software or gadgets I can stream video easily and seamlessly from my PC through the x-box360 into my telly through the home network!

I am sure you have all been doing this for years - but it is a thing of dazzling new beauty to me as I still am not really at home watching the telly on my PC - it doesn't feel right! 8)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 17, 2016 2:32 pm

thebish wrote:I'm usually a bit behind the times with tech... so - imagine my delight when I discovered (yesterday) that with no extra software or gadgets I can stream video easily and seamlessly from my PC through the x-box360 into my telly through the home network!

I am sure you have all been doing this for years - but it is a thing of dazzling new beauty to me as I still am not really at home watching the telly on my PC - it doesn't feel right! 8)
We've all moved to XBOX One now...

But yes - been doing this for yonks. :-)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:I'm usually a bit behind the times with tech... so - imagine my delight when I discovered (yesterday) that with no extra software or gadgets I can stream video easily and seamlessly from my PC through the x-box360 into my telly through the home network!

We've all moved to XBOX One now...

But yes - been doing this for yonks. :-)

snot my x-box - belongs to the kidz - but it's really only used for watching netflix and bbc i-player and suchlike nowadays...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:42 pm

Bought myself one of them Amazon Echo Dots whilst they were reduced last weekend. Arrived today and set it up easily. Absolutely brilliant! My previous experiences of voice recognition were not good, but so far Alexa understands me most of the time. Early days learning how to use it, but so far some useful stuff I'm getting out of it...

1. I can turn the lights on/off/dim without lifting a finger.
2. I can convert stuff like inches to centimetres just by asking Alexa.
3. I can add stuff to my grocery shopping list by telling Alexa what I want as I use things up.
4. If I'm bored I can get Alexa to tell me jokes, the news headlines, weather and about stuff etc etc.
5. If Mrs AT is away I have someone to talk to that answers back!
6. I can tell it to play music or radio stations.
7. Next year Sonos adds support for it which means I can properly control the system with it.

For 40 quid I'm well happy with it :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Bought myself one of them Amazon Echo Dots whilst they were reduced last weekend. Arrived today and set it up easily. Absolutely brilliant! My previous experiences of voice recognition were not good, but so far Alexa understands me most of the time. Early days learning how to use it, but so far some useful stuff I'm getting out of it...

3. I can add stuff to my grocery shopping list by telling Alexa what I want as I use things up.
4. If I'm bored I can get Alexa to tell me jokes, the news headlines, weather and about stuff etc etc.
7. Next year Sonos adds support for it which means I can properly control the system with it.

Yeah, but does she take it up the USB port?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Bought myself one of them Amazon Echo Dots whilst they were reduced last weekend. Arrived today and set it up easily. Absolutely brilliant! My previous experiences of voice recognition were not good, but so far Alexa understands me most of the time. Early days learning how to use it, but so far some useful stuff I'm getting out of it...

Yeah, but does she take it up the USB port?
It's one of them little USB ports :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:04 pm

They're even better! :-)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:They're even better! :-)
Well, that would depend really :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:08 pm

:lol:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:39 pm

On a recommendation (and because mine is knackered) I have just bought a new mobile 'phone. It's a Motorola G4 16gb

Now, I understand I need to inform my current provider of my desire to cancel my (recently expired) contract with them and get a PAC code so that I can keep my old number. Also how do I save all my current info (photos/ texts/ contacts)

I'm looking for the best SIM only deal and was wondering if any of you wonderful people had any suggestions. Please bear in mind this is GtE you are explaining it to and I will need careful step by step guidance.

MWAH!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Re contacts, there are a couple of apps (the one I use is called "In Touch") you can use. Download it on your current phone, set up an account (email and password) and it will sync your contacts. Then download on your new and log in and it will sync them onto the new one.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:On a recommendation (and because mine is knackered) I have just bought a new mobile 'phone. It's a Motorola G4 16gb

Now, I understand I need to inform my current provider of my desire to cancel my (recently expired) contract with them and get a PAC code so that I can keep my old number. Also how do I save all my current info (photos/ texts/ contacts)

I'm looking for the best SIM only deal and was wondering if any of you wonderful people had any suggestions. Please bear in mind this is GtE you are explaining it to and I will need careful step by step guidance.

MWAH!
If O2 reception is any good round your parts then GiffGaff is great. Total flexibility and good rates. You manage it all online.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:47 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote: Also how do I save all my current info (photos/ texts/ contacts)

MWAH!
Write them all out with pen and paper, then re-input them manually.

MWAH! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:On a recommendation (and because mine is knackered) I have just bought a new mobile 'phone. It's a Motorola G4 16gb

MWAH!
If O2 reception is any good round your parts then GiffGaff is great. Total flexibility and good rates. You manage it all online.

Saw GiffGaff. BT Family Sim looks good too.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

MWAH!

Saw GiffGaff. BT Family Sim looks good too.
Speak to LE before going with GiffGaff. His thoughts on them are less than complementary!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:28 pm

No they are ok, just couldn't get reception when I moved to Leeds. It was a great deal in Bolton.

I bought one of those phones GtE after my fancy Samsung was run over. Amazingly good for the low price.