Ale

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Ale

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Mrs BP lived in 2 or 3 houses along the same stretch of Babylon Lane, plus in a house on Mornington Road (I never tire of hearing how they had an 'orchard' in their back garden :roll: ). Her Gran won't be going in doing the knitting or nattering, 91 years young and doesn't get out too often, though she is coming to ours tomorrow for tea. She lives near the junction with Sutton Lane.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Mrs BP lived in 2 or 3 houses along the same stretch of Babylon Lane, plus in a house on Mornington Road (I never tire of hearing how they had an 'orchard' in their back garden :roll: ). Her Gran won't be going in doing the knitting or nattering, 91 years young and doesn't get out too often, though she is coming to ours tomorrow for tea. She lives near the junction with Sutton Lane.
The idiosyncracies of Adlington. Apparently Engels lived in Adlington for a spell with Keir Hardie. Plus some guy whose name begins with 'W' who was a gay rights champion back in the day. Buried up in Rivington Chapel, there's a gay rights march through Adlington every year! Also not a small influence on the creation of Royston Vasey!

Anyone, her Gran's isn't the one with the sticker in the window imploring passers-by to 'Seek God now' is it?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:Mrs BP lived in 2 or 3 houses along the same stretch of Babylon Lane, plus in a house on Mornington Road (I never tire of hearing how they had an 'orchard' in their back garden :roll: ). Her Gran won't be going in doing the knitting or nattering, 91 years young and doesn't get out too often, though she is coming to ours tomorrow for tea. She lives near the junction with Sutton Lane.
The idiosyncracies of Adlington. Apparently Engels lived in Adlington for a spell with Keir Hardie. Plus some guy whose name begins with 'W' who was a gay rights champion back in the day. Buried up in Rivington Chapel, there's a gay rights march through Adlington every year! Also not a small influence on the creation of Royston Vasey!

Anyone, her Gran's isn't the one with the sticker in the window imploring passers-by to 'Seek God now' is it?
Er, she might just be. :D She usually tries to persuade Miss BP and I to go to her church whenever she sees us. She's had no luck to date. 8)

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Has anyone been to the Bolton beer festival this weekend? I am feeling, very, very worse for wear today. I only managed to get back from the Mrs' house about an hour ago, I couldn't get out of bed!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Gail Platz wrote:Has anyone been to the Bolton beer festival this weekend? I am feeling, very, very worse for wear today. I only managed to get back from the Mrs' house about an hour ago, I couldn't get out of bed!
Used to go every year when it was on at The Howcroft. One year I actually managed to get my glass all the way home - then promptly smashed it on the kitchen taps. :doh:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:Has anyone been to the Bolton beer festival this weekend? I am feeling, very, very worse for wear today. I only managed to get back from the Mrs' house about an hour ago, I couldn't get out of bed!
Used to go every year when it was on at The Howcroft. One year I actually managed to get my glass all the way home - then promptly smashed it on the kitchen taps. :doh:
When did it stop being at The Howcroft?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Last one was 2007, I think.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
What's the news on the howcroft? Is it still open? Used to be a belting pub, with great beer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:20 am

William the White wrote:
What's the news on the howcroft? Is it still open? Used to be a belting pub, with great beer.
Still closed the last I knew, Will. Me and my group's favourite boozer by some distance - never, ever had a pint in there that was anything other than superb. By the way, have you been into the No Name since they've given the place a lick of paint?
Went in on Friday night for the second half of the England game. They've done a good job, and the TT Landlord was bang on form! :drink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:37 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:
Still closed the last I knew, Will. Me and my group's favourite boozer by some distance - never, ever had a pint in there that was anything other than superb. By the way, have you been into the No Name since they've given the place a lick of paint?
Went in on Friday night for the second half of the England game. They've done a good job, and the TT Landlord was bang on form! :drink:
I'm pleased to hear that, Bruce... Went for the one after Millwall away... There was no TT Landlord... Left about a third of the one pint I had, some bollocks called 'whatever...'... Everything was wrong with our heads, i think...

Sounds like one for a midweek early eve pint, once I get back from Venice... You up for it, or still not drinking midweek?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:03 am

William the White wrote: I'm pleased to hear that, Bruce... Went for the one after Millwall away... There was no TT Landlord... Left about a third of the one pint I had, some bollocks called 'whatever...'... Everything was wrong with our heads, i think...

Sounds like one for a midweek early eve pint, once I get back from Venice... You up for it, or still not drinking midweek?
Ah, it's dispensed from one of the taps that faces into that little ante room. You have to ask for it, crazily enough. I'm sure I can make an exception, my friend. Might MT fancy that too?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:22 pm

A very nice dark ale sipped last night - Image
5%er, nice and strong, a few of them and you're on your arse style beer

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

My good work paid off, and the Pedigree was in fine form. Had to dash off for a family party, but they'd all gone by half ten so made it back for half an hour. By then I was on ze wine though.

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Think theres a planning application in at the moment to convert it into 3 flats.

I went to the beer festival again this year. It now at Bolton Rugby Club for those that don't know. They put a huge (and I mean huge) marquee over one of the pitches. Think there was something like 200 ales on this year. Great event and it raises a hell of a lot of money for a good cause (Bolton Lads & Girls club)
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 am

I see that Blue Monkey have added another beer - Wrench. Very Tasty, hoppy and fruity, mid ABV range; not quite session ale but close.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Am in that London at the moment doing a mini-pupillage.

Finished early yesterday (no judge - minor problem) and so I had a wander down fleet street and the strand back towards UCL. Stopped for a pint in the Jerry Berry, and then another in the Grafton off TCR. One pint of Marston's EPA, and one of something like Jorvik. What the feck is it with Londoner's and no nozzle?! Fecking flat beer. The weirdos. EPA was still belting, but imagine what I could have won!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:48 pm

If there's time coudl take you to the Greenwich brewery at some point. Lovely stuff.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 am

Prufrock wrote:Am in that London at the moment doing a mini-pupillage.

Finished early yesterday (no judge - minor problem) and so I had a wander down fleet street and the strand back towards UCL. Stopped for a pint in the Jerry Berry, and then another in the Grafton off TCR. One pint of Marston's EPA, and one of something like Jorvik. What the feck is it with Londoner's and no nozzle?! Fecking flat beer. The weirdos. EPA was still belting, but imagine what I could have won!
I prefer it flat - you get to squeeze more beer in per pint. In my local they serve it literally to the brim. You have to suck some off before you can even lift it, never mind move it across a room, hah. (And that's oop north).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Enjoying a citrusy pint of Greene king IPA after the train journey from he'll. I seem to have a sign above my seat that said 'body odour? Heavy smoker? Feminine hygiene problems? Then sit next to me'

Another pint please landlord.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Popped in The Brewery Tap yesterday for a swift one. Went with the pirate one (can't remember the name, the dead giveaway is the pirate on the pump). Cracking stuff. An absolute gem of a pub. Obviously full of bearded old blokes, but everyweheres got its downsides....
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.