Ale

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Ale

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:08 pm

The Crown ???? The one at the ChorleyNew/Old Road touching point ? Really ??

They must have done a lot with it of late. Given it's opposite the Toll Bar and the struggling Queen's Head that's a very odd choice. I wonder what their judging points are ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:50 pm

The House Without A Name followed by the Brewery Tap. Don't know how the Dunscar's got on there unless they've made some significant changes since last I was in.

Never drank in Horwich so know nowt of the other three.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Funny how seeing that list reminds me of relations (most now gone) and the pubs they had as locals.

Uncle John, a sergeant in Bolton Police lived opposite and drank in the Duke of Clarence. One uncle drank in The City bottom of Escrick Street, (opposite The Queens, our after-football training at Brownlow Fold Gym watering hole) another (he was a bit up-market) took his tipple (only at weekends mind) in The Bowling Green on Escrick Street. The other two (my mother had five brothers) were out of towners; one was a landlord of one of the pubs on Market Street Ringley ( Stoneclough) for years and one lived in Salford but liked to pop over at weekends and visit the old Commercial on the town hall square. I also had a cousin who had The Blue Boar on Deansgate for several years.

My dad, an Irishman, amazingly didn't drink at all, not a drop. First time I ever saw him drink was at my wedding and he had a shandy. The relations on his side lived around Goodwin Street and frequented the Tipping Arms and The Mill Hill Tavern. Me and my brother spent plenty time in town, but our locals were the Halliwell Road pubs, mainly The Lamb. (The list reminded me of another couple of very local hostelries: The Prince of Wales and the Mount Street Inn (we always knew it as The Tavern) both long gone now. Even after all this time I have vivid memories of them all. Can almost smell the Maggee Marshall's best mild, for me the finest pint ever. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:44 pm

bobo the clown wrote:The Crown ???? The one at the ChorleyNew/Old Road touching point ? Really ??

They must have done a lot with it of late. Given it's opposite the Toll Bar and the struggling Queen's Head that's a very odd choice. I wonder what their judging points are ?
If it's CAMRA - theoretically at least - exclusively the quality of the beer.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:56 pm

William the White wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:The Crown ???? The one at the ChorleyNew/Old Road touching point ? Really ??

If it's CAMRA - theoretically at least - exclusively the quality of the beer.
Well, it must have improved ... which is, of course, quite possible.

Give me a good few ahead of there & within an easy walk.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Funny how seeing that list reminds me of relations (most now gone) and the pubs they had as locals.

Uncle John, a sergeant in Bolton Police lived opposite and drank in the Duke of Clarence. One uncle drank in The City bottom of Escrick Street, (opposite The Queens, our after-football training at Brownlow Fold Gym watering hole) another (he was a bit up-market) took his tipple (only at weekends mind) in The Bowling Green on Escrick Street. The other two (my mother had five brothers) were out of towners; one was a landlord of one of the pubs on Market Street Ringley ( Stoneclough) for years and one lived in Salford but liked to pop over at weekends and visit the old Commercial on the town hall square. I also had a cousin who had The Blue Boar on Deansgate for several years.

My dad, an Irishman, amazingly didn't drink at all, not a drop. First time I ever saw him drink was at my wedding and he had a shandy. The relations on his side lived around Goodwin Street and frequented the Tipping Arms and The Mill Hill Tavern. Me and my brother spent plenty time in town, but our locals were the Halliwell Road pubs, mainly The Lamb. (The list reminded me of another couple of very local hostelries: The Prince of Wales and the Mount Street Inn (we always knew it as The Tavern) both long gone now. Even after all this time I have vivid memories of them all. Can almost smell the Maggee Marshall's best mild, for me the finest pint ever. :wink:

We've probably discussed this before TD but I lived on Eskrick Street between1970 and 1980, opposite The Bowling Green and so knew this and The City Hotel :crazy: quite well.

I recall they had an off sales door, at the side of the Bowling Green, in Ralph Street. My dad would send me across the road occasionally with an empty Mackesons bottle (for the deposit) and to ask the landlord Ernie (a little man with a hunchback who always reminded me of the child-snatcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) for a full bottle. My Saturday Night's entertainment was watching the occasional brawl at kicking out time.

Happy days. :mrgreen:

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Over the weekend I have been supping Osset SIlver King, Ossett Summit, Ossett Premium Blonde, Saltaire Blonde, Jennings Cumberland; and something Lancaster Blonde and some Brains shite.
All good apart from the Brains shite and the Lancaster blonde was a bit meh.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Funny how seeing that list reminds me of relations (most now gone) and the pubs they had as locals.

We've probably discussed this before TD but I lived on Eskrick Street between1970 and 1980, opposite The Bowling Green and so knew this and The City Hotel :crazy: quite well.

I recall they had an off sales door, at the side of the Bowling Green, in Ralph Street. My dad would send me across the road occasionally with an empty Mackesons bottle (for the deposit) and to ask the landlord Ernie (a little man with a hunchback who always reminded me of the child-snatcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) for a full bottle. My Saturday Night's entertainment was watching the occasional brawl at kicking out time.

Was it not Raphael Street?

I used to take a jug and get four pints of bitter from that offie hatch... To be shared, of course... :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:12 pm

William the White wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Was it not Raphael Street?

I used to take a jug and get four pints of bitter from that offie hatch... To be shared, of course... :D
No, Will. (Raphael Street was next one down). I had a mate lived at No 5 Ralph Street up the side of the Bowling Green. A bit later I bought a house on Elgin Street and lived there about five or six years.That off-sales cubicle? at the side of the Bowler was always immaculately clean with gleaming brasswork. Funnily, even though it was almost on the doorstep, it was a place I hardly ever went in
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Ralph Street used to play in midfield for Cammel Laird in the West Cheshire League.

He was shite btw.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:30 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Ralph Street used to play in midfield for Cammel Laird in the West Cheshire League.

He was shite btw.
Raphael Via was midships rower for Venice v Otto Mania at the battle of Lepanto...

Ended up as a painter and decorator. Not bad either.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:19 am

I had a mate that lived on Ralph Street. His dad used to live in The Bowling Green.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:56 pm

More Ossett Silver King, Ossett Big Red, Stonegate Publican & Black Sheep yesterday. All top notch.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 am

Brakspear Oxford Gold. Only if there's fook all else.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 am

BrewDog > The Portman Group. :D

http://m.thedrum.com/news/2014/04/29/br ... les-breach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:05 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:BrewDog > The Portman Group. :D

http://m.thedrum.com/news/2014/04/29/br ... les-breach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol:

although I do find their ale to be shit .
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:09 am

:lol: glorious. Sincere individualism that awful companies like Innocent aim at with their corporate wackiness. That's what you should be doing!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:37 pm

not ale but w/e. was having a merry time on friday and then had a pint of this

f*ckin rocket fuel. went down very well. Provides a bastard hangover though.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:47 pm

^ why's that gnome's todger hanging out? and what's a chouffe when it's at home?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Had a pint of Adnams Southwold Bitter on Saturday, which hitherto I had never heard of. Very nice indeed.