Ale

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Ale

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:15 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Had a great porter in the Victoria and Albert, 'Black Rat' from the Rat Brewery in Huddersfield. Best dark beer I've had for a long time.
Search out Dark Drake by Dancing Duck, best 'Stout' I've had since a Guinness in Cork.
I'll look out for it, cheers. Don't know if I'll see much of it up here though. May have to wait for Derby away.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:58 am

Spent the evening at Dunscar Beer Festival last night. Would have preferred more dark beers and stouts but there are a number of good blonde's and IPA's.

I'll miss tonight but I will be back for the £1 per pint afternoon session on Sunday.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Oh shit... breaking news is SABMiller and Anheuser-Busch InBev merger to go ahead. More and faster pap to be pumped out then, just as craft and real ale breweries are starting to make an inroad.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Oh shit... breaking news is SABMiller and Anheuser-Busch InBev merger to go ahead. More and faster pap to be pumped out then, just as craft and real ale breweries are starting to make an inroad.
And on the back of that, just had a pint of Meantime, and what a disapoontment! Was expecting something good like the 1st time I tried any: Have been informed it was taken over a yr ago by SABMiller... it shows.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Oh shit... breaking news is SABMiller and Anheuser-Busch InBev merger to go ahead. More and faster pap to be pumped out then, just as craft and real ale breweries are starting to make an inroad.
Craft breweries are getting snapped up by the big boys a lot now though. Meantime went to SAB in May, and ABInBev have bought some too.

http://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/bus ... nsactions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway it's still a way off - i don't think any offer has been accepted yet? Either way it will have to go through the regulators, and given that the combined firm would have 70% of the US market i'd be pretty surprised if it went through.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
And on the back of that, just had a pint of Meantime, and what a disapoontment! Was expecting something good like the 1st time I tried any: Have been informed it was taken over a yr ago by SABMiller... it shows.
It was only four months ago - barely time to set the IT desk up! It says on my system it hasn't completed but given they were expected to do so in June i'd be surprised if it's still waiting to go through.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Indeed. Molson Coors are brewing Blue Moon over here now. Who's got it in the US, Kinty?
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:33 pm

MillerCoors do it here it seems, which is a JV between SABMiller and Molson Coors. Though a look through the wiki page it looks like it's been owned by Coors for well over a decade.

They seem to be under the umbrella of tenth and blake, the craft beer div of MillerCoors. Check it out http://www.tenthandblake.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:47 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
It was only four months ago - barely time to set the IT desk up! It says on my system it hasn't completed but given they were expected to do so in June i'd be surprised if it's still waiting to go through.
I might have been a tad harsh on Meantime, we eventually concluded it was a completely different ale from Meantime we supped last time and the barman confirmed that what they'd got on last night was the first time they'd had it in.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Fair play!

to be honest the big players have to go that way, craft ale is harming a lot of the bigger players, so either they have to join up and protect margins or buy the little fish.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:22 pm

Just fermenting some 'American oaked rum ale' for winter/xmas brew. A dark porter type ale, should come out at around 6.3%, I'll let you know how it turns out. Also just brewed a 'New world saison'. Belgian yeast with two types of New Zealand hops, should turn out around 6.5%. Not a pale ale, but not a bitter either, somewhere in between.
I've been doing the home brew for around 12 months now and have had some excellent results with other beers. Anyone else do it?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:56 pm

How much do you get out of one?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:07 pm

Il Pirate wrote:Just fermenting some 'American oaked rum ale' for winter/xmas brew. A dark porter type ale, should come out at around 6.3%, I'll let you know how it turns out. Also just brewed a 'New world saison'. Belgian yeast with two types of New Zealand hops, should turn out around 6.5%. Not a pale ale, but not a bitter either, somewhere in between.
I've been doing the home brew for around 12 months now and have had some excellent results with other beers. Anyone else do it?
I've done a few, first one was dreadful but came in handy as a forfeit for beer-pong and other drinking games at a party I had. Last one was reasonable, I'm about to do a cider. No creativity mind, just a kit. Do you do it from scratch?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:37 pm

There are three blokes at work who all home brew. They are very good. I get the benefit because they are always competing against each other and obviously need a judge. I provide that service and in return sample some top quality home brew.
They are so good they've contemplated going commercial.
Wirksworth Brewery's plant and kit was up for sale recently and they nearly took the plunge.
5k's a lot of money though, even though a two barrel concern can set you back 10k easily.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:54 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:Just fermenting some 'American oaked rum ale' for winter/xmas brew. A dark porter type ale, should come out at around 6.3%, I'll let you know how it turns out. Also just brewed a 'New world saison'. Belgian yeast with two types of New Zealand hops, should turn out around 6.5%. Not a pale ale, but not a bitter either, somewhere in between.
I've done a few, first one was dreadful but came in handy as a forfeit for beer-pong and other drinking games at a party I had. Last one was reasonable, I'm about to do a cider. No creativity mind, just a kit. Do you do it from scratch?

I use 36 or 40 pint kits from Brew uk. I've made Munton's gold 'smugglers special', and St Peter's 'ruby red' & St Peter's 'golden ale', all with great results. I just make sure everything is sterilized and clean, and follow the instructions. I leave in the barrel a couple of weeks longer than the minimum recommended time. The only problem I've had was a cheap barrel slightly split on the seam, due to the co2 build up. It was above the beer line, so no major leak, but air had entered and the beer was ruined.
I enjoy the process and it works out at roughly 49p a pint! The above beers are from the 'American beers' selection, so new brews for me & they have a slightly longer fermentation process.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:00 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:There are three blokes at work who all home brew. They are very good. I get the benefit because they are always competing against each other and obviously need a judge. I provide that service and in return sample some top quality home brew.
They are so good they've contemplated going commercial.
Wirksworth Brewery's plant and kit was up for sale recently and they nearly took the plunge.
5k's a lot of money though, even though a two barrel concern can set you back 10k easily.

I fancy doing the 'grain' brewing, but would need a large garage or much bigger utility room. As you say, it can be expensive, but some starter grain kits are available for around £300. I'd like to do it for the experience first, as it's one of those hobbies which can quickly get out of hand, as your mates experience proves!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Indeed. Molson Coors are brewing Blue Moon over here now. Who's got it in the US, Kinty?
They had it on at the hotel I was in last night. And Doom Bar.

I'd just had a month off the pop.

Oh dear.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Indeed. Molson Coors are brewing Blue Moon over here now. Who's got it in the US, Kinty?

Oh dear.
Apparently coming to Canada soon under the name Belgian Moon. Molson is (was) a Montreal brewery and I have never really liked any of their products (except of course the Montreal Canadiens).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Oh dear.
I just had a month off the pop, then four nights in Peurto Banus came round all of a sudden. Now I'm having another month off the pop!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:46 pm

^ fxcken binge drinkers :wink:
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください