What made you go 'wow'?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What made you go 'wow'?

Post by clapton is god » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Standing on the edge, the very edge, of Great Gable at the Westmoreland Cairn and looking straight down at the full half mile drop to the Wasdale valley and then having my mad Border Collie walk across my toes without a care in the world. For those who haven't been to this location it is without doubt the best and wildest viewpoint in the Lakes.

Last edited by clapton is god on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:00 pm

FANTASTIC!! :-)

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Landing at the old Hong Kong airport, though to be honest it was more woah than wow.

And while we're talking of flights - the aerial views of geomorphology of Iran and the Western Ghats of India.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Indeed a super photograph, Clappers. It caused me to look at others on the net and yours was the best I saw. I also learned, to my surprise, that the cairn is not named after the old county but after Tom and Edward Westmorland who built it in 1876.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 pm

clapton is god wrote:Standing on the edge, the very edge, of Great Gable at the Westmoreland Cairn and looking straight down at the full half mile drop to the Wasdale valley and then having my mad Border Collie walk across my toes without a care in the world. For those who haven't been to this location it is without doubt the best and wildest viewpoint in the Lakes.
Lets say I made the effort to get there

Talk me through/out of it
Sto ut Serviam

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:
clapton is god wrote:Standing on the edge, the very edge, of Great Gable at the Westmoreland Cairn and looking straight down at the full half mile drop to the Wasdale valley and then having my mad Border Collie walk across my toes without a care in the world. For those who haven't been to this location it is without doubt the best and wildest viewpoint in the Lakes.
Lets say I made the effort to get there

Talk me through/out of it
Two ways up (there are more) are from the Wasdale Inn, just visible to right of frame, and then walk along the river out of left of frame to the stretcher box and turn left up the hill. The second, and my favourite way up is from the slate mines at Honister and across Moses Trod to Beck Head. Only 2000 feet of climb going that way. Once on the top of Gable though the cairn is hidden from view just a few yards away from the summit direct to the south and then about 50' down and many never actually look for it or even know its there. Best time to go up is Remembrance Sunday when several hundred will make the trek from all directions for a brief service on the summit at 11am. Just follow the crowd - its all on good footpaths.

It is possible to get up the screes in the photo (see path right of frame) but it isn't recommended and it's really climbers territory - the clue is in the name of the area "Great Hell Gate'. The rock pillars in the image are Trophet Bastion and just below them is the Napes area including the famous Napes Needle. Its safer to stay clear of this whole area if making for the top although there is a path all the way around the hill, named the Girdle and even somewhere called the 'Dress Circle' from where you can watch the climbers on the Needle. I've been here on this spot maybe ten times now and always worth the effort. Not sure yet whether I'll go up again this November.
Last edited by clapton is god on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:43 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Indeed a super photograph, Clappers. It caused me to look at others on the net and yours was the best I saw. I also learned, to my surprise, that the cairn is not named after the old county but after Tom and Edward Westmorland who built it in 1876.
Indeed, Monty, and apologies for my erroneous 'e'. There's another such named cairn on the Ennerdale side of Pillar known at 'Robinson's Cairn' and both of them are in such wonderful wild places they are almost spiritual experiences just being there.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:48 am

This place... Monty'll know it.

That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:31 am

lake jasper??

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:41 am

thebish wrote:lake jasper??
Close, but not quite. Lake Maligne in Jasper National Park.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:07 am

And this earlier on the same trip. View from summit of Mt Fairview looking north...

That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:14 am

I think I've been to Lake Maligne (sister lives in Grande prairie - and we visited once..) - stayed in Jasper national park for a few days in a log cabin and went white water rafting and up cable cars etc...

some of those lakes are unbelievably turquoise! you see them on calendars and think - yeah, right - but they actually are turquoise!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:23 am

thebish wrote:I think I've been to Lake Maligne (sister lives in Grande prairie - and we visited once..) - stayed in Jasper national park for a few days in a log cabin and went white water rafting and up cable cars etc...

some of those lakes are unbelievably turquoise! you see them on calendars and think - yeah, right - but they actually are turquoise!!
Yeh. It's the minerals ground out of the rocks by the glaciers. I think Emerald Lake was the turquoisiest. Stunning.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:I think I've been to Lake Maligne (sister lives in Grande prairie - and we visited once..) - stayed in Jasper national park for a few days in a log cabin and went white water rafting and up cable cars etc...

Yeh. It's the minerals ground out of the rocks by the glaciers. I think Emerald Lake was the turquoisiest. Stunning.
I'm not quite sure I'd agree.

I took this at Emerald Lake in 2003

Compare this with Bow Lake (Banff) in 2006.

Of course a lot depends on the sun.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 pm

OR whoever's bestest at colouring in.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Of course a lot depends on the sun.
and the sky!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:20 pm

The Banff and Jasper National Parks are quite spectacular and the highway between them considered one of the most scenic in the world. I have been a dozen times or more and never tire of the Icelands Parkway. However, I blush to confess that I have never been to Lake Maligne. :oops:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:The Banff and Jasper National Parks are quite spectacular and the highway between them considered one of the most scenic in the world. I have been a dozen times or more and never tire of the Icelands Parkway. However, I blush to confess that I have never been to Lake Maligne. :oops:

It has a bad reputation. Totally undeserved. :P

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:The Banff and Jasper National Parks are quite spectacular and the highway between them considered one of the most scenic in the world. I have been a dozen times or more and never tire of the Icelands Parkway. However, I blush to confess that I have never been to Lake Maligne. :oops:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:55 pm

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Mine's the Navy one with the gold buckle, thanks!