Phobias

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Phobias

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Do you, like Truewhite15 have a phobia?
Let it all out here and we'll try and cure you of it...

... with shock tactics.

Warning - people of a nervous disposition may want to leave this thread alone.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Phobias

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:56 pm

I haven't found my phobia yet.

Plenty of things I dislike but can tolerate.

Heights
Turbulence
Cellars of derelict properties with no windows (you'd be surprised how many of these I encounter)

But nothing I could say I'm phobic about.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Unless you're planning on hooking me up to the National Grid, there aren't any shock tactics that are gonna cure me of my phobia :wink:

It's deep-seated. My parents can't explain it, because they have no fear of spiders. Yet I've had it all my life, and it is properly severe, as you've no doubt noticed.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Mine's rats, but only real rats. I don't give a monkey's about photos of em or stuffed toy rats or the like. But real rats running towards me and I shit myself. Strangely enough, mice I'm not overly bothered about so long as they are not touching me, and other rodents like shrews and whatnot I actually like.
My worst nightmare is being in confined spaces with the buggers, and I once had the misfortune to go on a tour of the secret world underneath the Royal Mile in Edinburgh and the place was alive with them.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 pm

The best phobia has got to be hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, the irrational fear of long words!!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 pm

PC1978 wrote:The best phobia has got to be hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, the irrational fear of long words!!!
because supercalifragilisticexpealidocious is a made up word, would a fear of that to a hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobe be quasihippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:11 pm

There is, truly, a fear of having peanut butter getting stuck to your upper palate - unfortunately I've forgotten what it's called.

EDIT: found it "Arachibutyrophobia"
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Bananaphobia... I shit you not...
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Bananaphobia... I shit you not...
What? You've got a fear of bananas?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
It is an odd one but I suppose it depends on the circumstances. Is a fear of someone taking a large banana and shoving it up your rectum irrational?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
It is an odd one but I suppose it depends on the circumstances. Is a fear of someone taking a large banana and shoving it up your rectum irrational?
But that, surely, would be recto-penetrato-phobia as opposed to bananaphobia, wouldn't it?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
But that, surely, would be recto-penetrato-phobia as opposed to bananaphobia, wouldn't it?
Not if you enjoyed other implements of penetration (organic or inorganic) and only feared the banana. Still, it is not a subject on which I would like to claim any expertise.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Nor one upon which I wish to dwell further. I fear I may have a touch of bananaphobia myself.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 pm

No-one has ever shoved a banana up my derriere... No idea where it is from, but it is a true phobia as it is irrational...

The mother tells a tale that as a baby - talking months old - I'd see a banana, freeze and start to shake uncontrollably... wierd!

Not that bad now, I can be in a room with them but I don't trust them.... how can you trust something that is grown on a plant that "walks" around the world!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:42 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:No-one has ever shoved a banana up my derriere... No idea where it is from, but it is a true phobia as it is irrational...

The mother tells a tale that as a baby - talking months old - I'd see a banana, freeze and start to shake uncontrollably... wierd!

Not that bad now, I can be in a room with them but I don't trust them.... how can you trust something that is grown on a plant that "walks" around the world!!
You're going to have to explain that last bit to us ordinary mortals who see bananas simply as cuddly yellow skinned fruit.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:No-one has ever shoved a banana up my derriere... No idea where it is from, but it is a true phobia as it is irrational...

You're going to have to explain that last bit to us ordinary mortals who see bananas simply as cuddly yellow skinned fruit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FlUgdtve30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this what you mean?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:10 pm

From some or other clever fecking know-it-all website:

It is a common myth that banana plants may "walk" or move as they grow. This myth originates form South American banana plantations, and is a gross misunderstanding of how the banana plant grows.

To resolve this misunderstanding, it is first important to know that the banana plant is not a tree, but a herb. What this means is that the part of the banana plant that sticks out of the ground (called a pseudostem) is only a small part of the plant, and in fact grows, bears fruit and dies all within a year, compared to the relatively long lifespan of the plant of up to 25 years.

The banana stem exists underground, growing laterally. The plant will grow only up to two pseudostems at any given time, with several months' difference between them.

As the pseudostems grow, bear fruit and die, it looks as though the plant is moving slightly, whereas all that is really happening is that the actual banana plant is growing laterally underground and sending its' pseudostems up in slightly different positions.

The position of the pseudostems' growing site may differ from the original by up to 40 centimetres in the lifetime of a banana plant.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZabqakBJEM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:14 pm

I knew none of this. I always trusted my bananas to be upright unmoving citizens of the plant world, not sneaky shifty pseudo-creatures creeping around the place on not-feet. Bananas out!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:From some or other clever fecking know-it-all website:

It is a common myth that banana plants may "walk" or move as they grow. This myth originates form South American banana plantations, and is a gross misunderstanding of how the banana plant grows.

To resolve this misunderstanding, it is first important to know that the banana plant is not a tree, but a herb. What this means is that the part of the banana plant that sticks out of the ground (called a pseudostem) is only a small part of the plant, and in fact grows, bears fruit and dies all within a year, compared to the relatively long lifespan of the plant of up to 25 years.

The banana stem exists underground, growing laterally. The plant will grow only up to two pseudostems at any given time, with several months' difference between them.

As the pseudostems grow, bear fruit and die, it looks as though the plant is moving slightly, whereas all that is really happening is that the actual banana plant is growing laterally underground and sending its' pseudostems up in slightly different positions.

The position of the pseudostems' growing site may differ from the original by up to 40 centimetres in the lifetime of a banana plant.
Interesting. It may not be a tree but those pseudostems are treelike in size.