Don't agree with this one bit!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Don't agree with this one bit!

Post by Hoboh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 am

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/sikh-so ... n-turban-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I applaud the chap joining the army but why should the army change its dress code just to accommodate him? He knew this before he joined up and I suspect somewhere in the back ground are politics at play.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Don't agree with this one bit!

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 am

Hoboh wrote:http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/sikh-so ... n-turban-2

I applaud the chap joining the army but why should the army change its dress code just to accommodate him? He knew this before he joined up and I suspect somewhere in the back ground are politics at play.

They haven't changed their dress code. They've made an accommodation. He's wearing ceremonial headgear which is more practical than the usual ceremonial headgear the rest wear. And less bears were killed in the making of it, too.

Would it be better that the Army said he HAD to remove the Turban or he couldn't be a guard? I for one applaud this story. It's a good, heartwarming story amidst all the shit and war we see at the moment.

I really do think you look for machinations that don't exist sometimes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 am

I think Hoboh needs to remember that its one extra person to defend the fields. Who cares what he wears on his head? Those fields won't defend themselves.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Why didn't they just put the silly hat over the turban. They're fcking massive.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Firstly: plenty of sikhs have stood guard duty at Buckingham Palace in the past.
Secondly: I don't think in the background politics are at play - it's religion that's at play.
Thirdly: the article describes the bloke as a Khalsa Sikh. He and they should know better then, that the turban isn't actually one of the 5 ks and he could perform his duties both as guardsman and Khalsa Sikh without wearing a turban and whilst wearing the bearskin.
Fourthly: I don't have a fourth point.
Fifthly: the five ks - the articles of faith that a Khalsa Sikh must wear are uncut hair, a comb, a knife, a bracelet, and underpants. I shit you not.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Firstly: plenty of sikhs have stood guard duty at Buckingham Palace in the past.
Secondly: I don't think in the background politics are at play - it's religion that's at play.
Thirdly: the article describes the bloke as a Khalsa Sikh. He and they should know better then, that the turban isn't actually one of the 5 ks and he could perform his duties both as guardsman and Khalsa Sikh without wearing a turban and whilst wearing the bearskin.
Fifthly: the five ks - the articles of faith that a Khalsa Sikh must wear are uncut hair, a comb, a knife, a bracelet, and underpants. I shit you not.
My thoughts too.

Those of us old enough to remember Crash Helmets being made compulsory (when driving motor bikes etc., not in life in general, that'd be silly) will recall the same discussions back then .... & later as hard-hats at work become more generally used in some industries ... will recognise this.

The conclusions, after months of extreme stances, was that a small cover over a knot of hair was perfectly adequate and eventually the fuss died down.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:06 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Why didn't they just put the silly hat over the turban. They're fcking massive.

Hide 'n' Sikh?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Why didn't they just put the silly hat over the turban. They're fcking massive.

Hide 'n' Sikh?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:31 pm

[*]
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

Hide 'n' Sikh?
Just stick it in your signature. Will be easier in the long run :wink:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:[*]
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

Hide 'n' Sikh?
oops, have I been overusing it recently?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:[*]
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

Hide 'n' Sikh?
oops, have I been overusing it recently?
Like a kid with a new toy....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote: oops, have I been overusing it recently?
8) I'll put it away.
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote: oops, have I been overusing it recently?
8) I'll put it away.[/quote]

That's what Jimmy Saville should've said :wink:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:46 pm

That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Image
:lol:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Forty (or was it fifty?) years ago, the same arguments were made when the transport authority refused to allow Sikhs to be bus conductors if they wore their turbans. They had to wear the approved uniform. However, tradition quickly crumbled. Sikhs were fine soldiers - I wouldn't keep them out of the army.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Firstly: plenty of sikhs have stood guard duty at Buckingham Palace in the past.
The turban appears mandatory for the Khalsa even though not one of the five K's. I read:
The Kesh, or unshorn long hair, is an indispensable part of the human body. It was created by Waheguru as the mainstay of the 'Jivan Jaach', the Rehni that was prescribed by Guru Gobind Singh Sahib by which a Sikh is clearly and quickly identified. A Sikh never cuts or trims any hair to indicate the perfection of God's creation. The uncut long hair and the beard, in the case of men, form the main kakār for Sikhs.[2]

A Dastaar is a turban worn to protect the Kesh and guard the Dasam Duaar (the Tenth Gate), a spiritual opening at the top of the head. The turban is a spiritual crown, which is a constant reminder to the Sikh that he or she is sitting on the throne of consciousness and is committed to living according to Sikh principles. Guru Gobind Singh jee told his Sikhs:

"Khaalsa mero roop hai kaas. Khaalsa mai ho karo nivaas... The Khalsa is my image. Within the Khalsa I reside." Wearing a turban declares sovereignty, dedication, self-respect, courage and piety.
and

A Dastar (Punjabi: ਦਸਤਾਰ, dastār, from Persian: دستار‎) or Pagṛi (Punjabi: ਪਗੜੀ)or Pagg (Punjabi: ਪੱਗ), is a mandatory headgear for Sikh men. Dastar is very clearly associated with Sikhism and is an important part of the Sikh culture. Wearing a Sikh turban is mandatory for all Amritdhari (baptized) Sikh men (also known as Khalsa).

Among the Sikhs, the turban is an article of faith that represents honour, self-respect, courage, spirituality, and piety. The Khalsa Sikh men, who adorn the Five Ks, wear the turban partly to cover their long, uncut hair (kesh). The turban is mostly identified with the Sikh males, although some Sikh women also wear turban. The Khalsa Sikhs regard the turban as an important part of the unique Sikh identity.In Punjab there is a trend of wearing Perfect Turbans and many turban training Centers are opened in various cities that teach Young Sikh men the art of wearing Perfect Turbans and many Turban Competitions are also held for Sikhs
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 pm

The short answer to that Monty, is that yes, the turban is a traditional part of Sikh identity, but no, it is not mandatory like the 5 ks are.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:The short answer to that Monty, is that yes, the turban is a traditional part of Sikh identity, but no, it is not mandatory like the 5 ks are.
Yet the second quote says it is mandatory so perhaps I need a longer answer....not that I doubt your intimate knowledge of Sikhism but...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:The short answer to that Monty, is that yes, the turban is a traditional part of Sikh identity, but no, it is not mandatory like the 5 ks are.
Yet the second quote says it is mandatory so perhaps I need a longer answer....not that I doubt your intimate knowledge of Sikhism but...
There are five stages on the road to human perfection within the sikh religion, being a sikh is stage 3, stage 4 is being khalsa. The Khalsa was set up as a brotherhood of 'saints' (NB there is no direct translation) by the 10th and final Guru (excepting that he created the Adi Granth as the 11th Guru - the guru granth sahib). you become khalsa by repeating an oath in a temple before the guru granth sahib - that oath foreswears you to (among other things) to wear the 5ks. The khalsa oath does NOT forswear you to wear a turban. Khalsas who wear turbans do so because it is a reminder that 'you are sat upon the throne of consciousness', and because it marks the long haired sikhs apart from other religions. it is therefore part of the culture, but it is not a necessary part of the khalsa.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください