For the birds

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: For the birds

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Zapata Rail spotted for the first time in four decades

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150302 ... rd-sighted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:50 am

wow!!! young weasel leaps onto woodpecker - woodpecker takes off - then lands, chucks him off and escapes to safety.. that's one VERY lucky woodpecker!!

full story here:

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-03-02/incr ... kers-back/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:30 am

That's an amazing story and even more amazing photography. Wow" ..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:27 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Zapata Rail spotted for the first time in four decades

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150302 ... rd-sighted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What, they didn't go for 'Viva Zapata!' as a headline?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Beefheart wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:Zapata Rail spotted for the first time in four decades

What, they didn't go for 'Viva Zapata!' as a headline?
Anything other than Viva Castro is illegal in Cuba....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Photobombed by a seal.

"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:04 pm

not much action on my bird feeders - but a load of goldfinches!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Came across this magnificent specimen on my travels recently...

I thought it was strange that the nearby car park was empty. I discovered why pretty quickly - it was on the flight path back to the nest and storks can release quite an impressive quantity of shit when coming in to land I can tell you.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: storks can release quite an impressive quantity of shit when coming in to land I can tell you.
You'd think it'd try aiming at the bell. Result! :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: storks can release quite an impressive quantity of shit when coming in to land I can tell you.
You'd think it'd try aiming at the bell. Result! :)
:lol:
To get the bell I reckon it'd have to fly for the cast iron cross and swerve at the last minute to land on the nest. Must be chicken, not stork.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:11 am

female blackcap on the feeders most days - the male I have only seen fleetingly..

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:42 pm

I purchased a new bird feeder last week and instead of putting the bog standard bird seed in it I filled it up with sunflower seeds. I have never seen such a wide variety of birds in my garden before. Just today I have had: Goldfinches, a Bullfinch, Chaffinches, numerous Redpolls, a greenfinch, a Siskin and a couple that I have not yet identified. That is in addition to Sparrows, Great Tits and robins that are regular visitors.

My only problem is they empty the feeder in less than a day and a half. It is going to cost me a fortune.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:14 pm

malcd1 wrote:I purchased a new bird feeder last week and instead of putting the bog standard bird seed in it I filled it up with sunflower seeds. I have never seen such a wide variety of birds in my garden before. Just today I have had: Goldfinches, a Bullfinch, Chaffinches, numerous Redpolls, a greenfinch, a Siskin and a couple that I have not yet identified. That is in addition to Sparrows, Great Tits and robins that are regular visitors.

My only problem is they empty the feeder in less than a day and a half. It is going to cost me a fortune.

I had a similar increased response when I used sunflower hearts instead of the usual bog-standard mix... that's an impressive range you've got there!!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 pm

thebish wrote:
malcd1 wrote:I purchased a new bird feeder last week and instead of putting the bog standard bird seed in it I filled it up with sunflower seeds. I have never seen such a wide variety of birds in my garden before. Just today I have had: Goldfinches, a Bullfinch, Chaffinches, numerous Redpolls, a greenfinch, a Siskin and a couple that I have not yet identified. That is in addition to Sparrows, Great Tits and robins that are regular visitors.

I had a similar increased response when I used sunflower hearts instead of the usual bog-standard mix... that's an impressive range you've got there!!
I have the feeder just outside my office window which means I have spent a little more time watching and reaching for my bird books for identification. On a lovely day like today it has been enjoyable.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 pm

We get a pretty good range here from mealworms. Also use a coconut feeder that has on it packing "May contain nuts"....like birds can read and give a shit?

We got a couple of residents that have been with us a while, couple of protective robins, pair of blackbirds, passing blue tits, some goldfinch (I think, I'm not well up on identfying birds....might try and snap them). There's an owl hanging round too, but not spotted it for a while..

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:We get a pretty good range here from mealworms. Also use a coconut feeder that has on it packing "May contain nuts"....like birds can read and give a shit?

We got a couple of residents that have been with us a while, couple of protective robins, pair of blackbirds, passing blue tits, some goldfinch (I think, I'm not well up on identfying birds....might try and snap them). There's an owl hanging round too, but not spotted it for a while.
A spotted Owl ??

Could you give a hoot ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 08, 2016 11:36 pm

We have an amazing array of birds in boo gardens. It's a delight to see. This year though it's been limited. & I've seen a lot of torn-up pigeons. There are birds there but way fewer than usual. Today I found why ...

Firstly there was a great deal of squawking and chuntering from the birds at the bottom of the garden. Then put from large hedge came what I thought was a jay. Large, with gre/blue back and reddish-brown front. Not a jay. So I look it up.

It's a male sparrow hawk. I took a peek in the hedge and came eye to eye with the much, much larger female, guarding a nest of 5 eggs.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 09, 2016 8:26 am

bobo the clown wrote:We have an amazing array of birds in boo gardens. It's a delight to see. This year though it's been limited. & I've seen a lot of torn-up pigeons. There are birds there but way fewer than usual. Today I found why ...

Firstly there was a great deal of squawking and chuntering from the birds at the bottom of the garden. Then put from large hedge came what I thought was a jay. Large, with gre/blue back and reddish-brown front. Not a jay. So I look it up.

It's a male sparrow hawk. I took a peek in the hedge and came eye to eye with the much, much larger female, guarding a nest of 5 eggs.

blimey - what a fantastic sight!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 09, 2016 10:16 am

The missus has just been caught up in traffic on the street at the top of the road, due to a peacock wandering about. Guessing it must've roamed from one of the houses nearby. Maybe I should let the lions out...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 am

bobo the clown wrote:We have an amazing array of birds in boo gardens. It's a delight to see. This year though it's been limited. & I've seen a lot of torn-up pigeons. There are birds there but way fewer than usual. Today I found why ...

That would explain the big red nose, then. 8)