For the birds

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: For the birds

Post by malcd1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:^ Lesser Spotted Something-or-other?
Definitely a sparrowhawk. Got a good view through the binoculars.
Whereabouts is it in the pic? :?
Just above the bird feeder on the far right. Camouflaged like another bird feeder.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Image
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:^ Lesser Spotted Something-or-other?
Definitely a sparrowhawk. Got a good view through the binoculars.
Whereabouts is it in the pic? :?
Not sure Bruce, It's in there somewhere
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 pm

fecking varifocals!!! ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Sorry the pic wasn't very clear, but this is the fella..

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:07 pm

a lady great spotted woodpecker in my apple tree today... first photos I have ever achieved of woodpeckers!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:01 am

Great photo Bish. They are difficult to get as they are very skittish. I managed a couple of photos nearly 20 years ago in Wales and missed with a couple of rolls of film before I got one! Excuse the quality as they are scanned from old prints.
woodpecker.jpg
woodpecker.jpg (112.63 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
woodpecker2.jpg
woodpecker2.jpg (102.82 KiB) Viewed 1894 times

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:01 am

Oops. It seems I broke the page. Sorry :oops:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:00 am

Great Pics, AT.

Bish - stick the other one up.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Great Pics, AT.

Bish - stick the other one up.
err - ok - here she is without her head in the hole!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Just driven over from Manchester this afternoon and I drove (as a bit of a shortcut) through a village called Peak Forest ( a bit of a misnomer as there's no forest there whatsoever).
As I topped the hill on the way up to the village with the quarry off to my left an enormous flock of birds was streaming over the road. I was doing about fifty mph and not a single bird hit the car even though the lower segments of the flock must only have been about two/three feet off the ground. what's more, they just kept coming, left to right. It got so bad I had to slow down and stop as I could no longer see the road in front of me.
They were going really fast, so I couldn't make them out individually, but I think they were starlings - whatever they were, they were in their thousands, if not hundreds of thousands - I exagerate not.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Just driven over from Manchester this afternoon and I drove (as a bit of a shortcut) through a village called Peak Forest ( a bit of a misnomer as there's no forest there whatsoever).

it could be an archaic name - from the times that "forest" could mean an uninhabited area of uneclosed land set aside for the King to go hunting in... (or summat like that) - like the NEW FOREST - large areas of which have not got trees in...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:24 pm

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Just driven over from Manchester this afternoon and I drove (as a bit of a shortcut) through a village called Peak Forest ( a bit of a misnomer as there's no forest there whatsoever).

it could be an archaic name - from the times that "forest" could mean an uninhabited area of uneclosed land set aside for the King to go hunting in... (or summat like that) - like the NEW FOREST - large areas of which have not got trees in...
Aye.
Forest didn't originally mean a treed area at all. It designated the area of a royal hunting ground. Peak Forest was where the royal hunting lodge was situated in the hunting grounds surrounding Peveril (or Peak) Castle.
[Award yourself two bonus points for trivia, to go with your Useful badge. 8) ]
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: They were going really fast, so I couldn't make them out individually, but I think they were starlings - whatever they were, they were in their thousands, if not hundreds of thousands - I exagerate not.
I was in Oldham, must be 25 years ago when I saw, again, literally thousands and thousands of starlings gather and swarm like an incredible black cloud - didn't see any of them fall from the sky so presumably none of them fly into one and other either. The whole thing lasted about 30 minutes. It was a truly breathtaking sight that I'll always remember and one that I feel incredibly lucky to have seen so close to hand.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: They were going really fast, so I couldn't make them out individually, but I think they were starlings - whatever they were, they were in their thousands, if not hundreds of thousands - I exagerate not.
I was in Oldham, must be 25 years ago when I saw, again, literally thousands and thousands of starlings gather and swarm like an incredible black cloud - didn't see any of them fall from the sky so presumably none of them fly into one and other either. The whole thing lasted about 30 minutes. It was a truly breathtaking sight that I'll always remember and one that I feel incredibly lucky to have seen so close to hand.

I used to work in Fulham. Walking to the train station over Wandsworth Bridge every night in late Autumn (as it was getting dark around 5.00 pm) I was regularly treated to the sight of thousands of Starlings flocking to roost underneath. They would climb and spin in an almost liquid movement before a few would detach themselves and dive under the bridge where they came to rest. This would go on for up to an hour before they all bedded in.

Amazing stuff.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:51 pm

a murmuration, I believe... one of the wonders of UK wildlife...

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article ... UK-1150152

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:59 pm

thebish wrote:a murmuration, I believe... one of the wonders of UK wildlife...

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article ... UK-1150152
These ones weren't quite doing that. They seemed to be going from A to B en mass. But because I was amongst them rather than witnessing them from a distance, maybe it was a murmuration. They appeared to be coming up from the quarry, so possibly what seemed to me to be the low cloud of birds was maybe the upper part of a murmuration that had become detached and was heading out from the bigger flock... in which case there must have been millions of them :shock:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Of course we didn't have You tube back then but they are apparently still at it.

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7x9Q ... TEiinNp3v8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:24 am

Now then, I'm sure I asked for guidance on this one last year, too. However, is now a good time to stock the bird-feeder things with fat balls, or will just encourage laziness? Conditions are currently mild and damp.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Now then, I'm sure I asked for guidance on this one last year, too. However, is now a good time to stock the bird-feeder things with fat balls, or will just encourage laziness? Conditions are currently mild and damp.
I've just got bird seed out. All the little birds are enjoying it, no sign of the jackdaws or other big buggers yet.
I put one of those fat balls out the other week and squirrels had away with it in seconds. (Not that I've got anything against squirrels).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:39 am

Beneath the thin veneer of respectability you've always struck me as someone with squirrelist tendencies, if I'm being honest.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.