A Dirty Old Town no more

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

A Dirty Old Town no more

Post by Salford Trotter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:55 am

It's official, Salford is a boom city!
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ed-1277041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Voice Of Reason

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: A Dirty Old Town no more

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:31 am

Fck.

We really ARE "all middle-class now" !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:35 am

That's some lazy journalism write there. I'd be surpised if any of that came from anything other than the press release from Reeds Rains

"Case study" my arse :lol:

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:It's official, Salford is a boom city!
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ed-1277041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is going to take alot more than that to change my opinion on that city ST, no offense.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 pm

I thought Shane MacGowan had died then!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
It is going to take alot more than that to change my opinion on that city ST, no offense.
When were you last in town?
The Voice Of Reason

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
18 monts ago, so not for a while but again no disrespect but a city with such deprivation problems over a period of at least 40 years (some extremists would say more like 140 years) wilkl take 10 years of big time healing. personally from people who go their every month (like my buisness teacher originally from Stockport) they will tell you it is the worst place in Greater Manchester although I think places like Hulme and Moss Side are worse.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:48 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:
18 monts ago, so not for a while but again no disrespect but a city with such deprivation problems over a period of at least 40 years (some extremists would say more like 140 years) wilkl take 10 years of big time healing. personally from people who go their every month (like my buisness teacher originally from Stockport) they will tell you it is the worst place in Greater Manchester although I think places like Hulme and Moss Side are worse.
It's fair to say Salford has had its issues in the past and still has in many areas to be fair but equally there are lots of areas of the City that have changed beyond recognition in recent years, not least the Salford Quays area. I'm sure there are 'no go' areas in many towns and Cities across the UK it's just that they don't seem to get the coverage Salford does.
The Voice Of Reason

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:49 pm

I will admit Salford Quays has gone from prostitution 101 to a quite nice area. Have stayed at the holiday in there a few times.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:05 am

Oh come, come. You can't just develop the docks and say "Hey, look at Salford". The Quays are a stand alone devolpment. Salford by and lage from the Irwell to the M60 at Eccles and from Regent Road to Higher Broughton is an absolute shithole.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Oh come, come. You can't just develop the docks and say "Hey, look at Salford". The Quays are a stand alone devolpment. Salford by and lage from the Irwell to the M60 at Eccles and from Regent Road to Higher Broughton is an absolute shithole.
I grant you there are parts of of the city that need further development but it's certainly moving in the right direction. The development in Lower Broughton (New Broughton Village) and Langworthy are meant to be blueprints for regeneration of other areas of the city....it's a long road but it's better than it was.
The Voice Of Reason

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Where has all this money come from then?

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Not sure but I'll take an educated guess at a combination of EU regeneration funds, private finance and good old Barratts/Bovis et al
The Voice Of Reason

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Oh come, come. You can't just develop the docks and say "Hey, look at Salford". The Quays are a stand alone devolpment. Salford by and lage from the Irwell to the M60 at Eccles and from Regent Road to Higher Broughton is an absolute shithole.
I grant you there are parts of of the city that need further development but it's certainly moving in the right direction. The development in Lower Broughton (New Broughton Village) and Langworthy are meant to be blueprints for regeneration of other areas of the city....it's a long road but it's better than it was.
"Parts" being all of it except for the old docks. Lower Broughton? Langworthy Road? Kersal? Around there?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:
"Parts" being all of it except for the old docks. Lower Broughton? Langworthy Road? Kersal? Around there?
Some parts don't need fixing to be fair, Worsley, Ellesmere Park, Monton, plus a few more delightful areas including where i live but I get your point there's still a lot to do.
The Voice Of Reason

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 pm

I worked on regeneration projects in Kersal a few years back. They spent £53 million over 10 years and whilst the new health centres, sports village and slum clearance made for some improvements, the area is sadly still populated by the same feckless families that have been there since the days of Kersal flats. More money was spent in Langworthy in the ten years before that and the area hasn't changed much either for the same reasons. It's a crying shame.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:48 am

Bijou Bob wrote:I worked on regeneration projects in Kersal a few years back. They spent £53 million over 10 years and whilst the new health centres, sports village and slum clearance made for some improvements, the area is sadly still populated by the same feckless families that have been there since the days of Kersal flats. More money was spent in Langworthy in the ten years before that and the area hasn't changed much either for the same reasons. It's a crying shame.
Sadly those 'feckless families' are, as you pointed out, the real problem so i accept no matter the size of the regeneration budget unless you change the mentality of the residents then you'll still have those inherent issues to address
The Voice Of Reason

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:51 am

On reflection maybe my Dirty Old Town isn't as clean as I may have hoped :?
The Voice Of Reason

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Bolton is so grim that I don't have it in me to denigrate any other town...

I find it utterly dispiriting to be in the town centre, and too bloody cold and miserable to get out into the country...

I really hate Winter, and February especially...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 am

William the White wrote:Bolton is so grim that I don't have it in me to denigrate any other town...

I find it utterly dispiriting to be in the town centre, and too bloody cold and miserable to get out into the country...

I really hate Winter, and February especially...
Certainly, as I said in a recent thread, I was amazed to see how run down the centre was. I have always remained ... & will continue to be ... proud as hell of my home town. However, what was one a very impressive town centre is so run down, so abandoned and there is no realistic way I see if turning around. The council seem either unaware or in in denial of this.

I'm unsure whether peoiple who see it regularly are aware (clearly they are) but to return after what I suppose is 4 years (now the team play at Horwich) as there's no real reason to ... which I suppose is part of the problem ... was horrible.

Maybe this is the same in many towns, but it was the greatest fall from grace I've noticed.

Winter ? I hate more in the theory than the practice.

I HATE the nights shortening and some days when you don't actually see sunlihght if you work in a factory. I hate the worry of what the weather may bring though, in realirty, it's rarely as bad as it may be. By February, different than WtW, I can be OK about it all. Even if bad weather does happen you know it won't last long. Already it's light till 5.30pm, by the end of the month it'll be 6.30pm and we're marching (no pun) toward spring which I adore for the optimism is brings.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".