Super League XVIII

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Super League XVIII

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Blimey :shock: .....http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21605444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the new Salford owner has big ambitions and deep pockets so hopefully they'll be a force to be reckoned with
The Voice Of Reason

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Super League XVIII

Post by jimbo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Really hope it turns out well, but it all seems a bit Venky's to me. Plus his gameplan seems fundamentally flawed - rugby league is a game where it's impossible to throw money at to achieve success overnight due to the very limiting salary cap. Say he had have got Tomkins - he'd have been on £4-500k per year to compete with what the NRL or union would offer, leaving Salford spending upwards of 25% of their total wage budget on one player.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:15 am

jimbo wrote:Really hope it turns out well, but it all seems a bit Venky's to me. Plus his gameplan seems fundamentally flawed - rugby league is a game where it's impossible to throw money at to achieve success overnight due to the very limiting salary cap. Say he had have got Tomkins - he'd have been on £4-500k per year to compete with what the NRL or union would offer, leaving Salford spending upwards of 25% of their total wage budget on one player.
In fairness this move was more a statement of intent as opposed to a serious bid but should Wigan had shown a willingness to talk I believe the board would have a serious sqeaky bum moment as the commercials do not add up. I do believe, however, that Salford will become a force in the game once again and realistically over the next two or three seasons as they pick off talent from down under and the rich pickings from Super League. As for the comparisons between Koukash and the Rao family I believe (and hope) are way off the mark. Our Indian friends have, to our constant amusement, systematically dismantled any credibility Blackburn had with a series of decisions and appointments that beggared belief. In contrast, Koukash has surrounded himself with recognised experts in the sport to advise on all aspects of running a successful RL club. I know who i'd rather have in charge of my club.
The Voice Of Reason

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:35 am

You might be right, jimbo, but I doubt it. Many RL players have moved to RU but few have really succeeded. I suspect that RU clubs would think deeply before paying a code-hopper large amounts of money to entice them over. The salary cap ( http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentr ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) is just as onerous here as elsewhere (I think) but it's up to each club - just like football - on how much of its budget to spend on one player.

Ah, a new post whilst I was pondering and typing.

Salford: Yes, talented players are available if the English clubs want to cherry-pick our lower grades. I'm not too sure about the ageing souls who have passed their use-by date though. Whatever - I wish Salford all the best and look forward to many an arm tussle with Leigh. :wink:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:46 am

Dujon - the NRL cap is more than double that in superleague due to recent TV deals and the strength of the dollar. We can't compete to bring over top Aussies or keep hold of our top talent as they have so much buying power.

To be a successful super league side you need a good youth development in order to have a strong squad and stay within the cap. Going and 'doing a man city' isn't possible. Most clubs in superleague are already spending up to the cap, so what Salford in effect want to do is become a top top side without changing their wage bill in a short space of time

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 am

Fair enough, jimbo, I hadn't realised that there was such a disparity in the cap values. Are there any rules in Super League as to how many 'imports' a team is allow to have in a squad, or on the field? Or, for that matter, whether an 'import' must have played (or not played) at a certain level in the Australian or other league? I'm ignoring work visa restrictions in those questions as that's a different can of worms.

I believe that a number of Englishmen are playing in the Premier RL league here at the moment but it seems to me (and I'm open for correction) that there is nowhere near the number playing here now as some couple of decades ago. There are reasons for my question. The FFA here oversees the football A-League. It has imposed salary caps. That cap is a bit 'rubbery' in that it allows certain numbers of 'marquee' players (plus a couple of other categories) to be employed even though their salaries cause the cap to be exceeded. Apart from the obvious attempt to limit the affect that 'rich' clubs might have on the player market place it also encourages the youth development programmes of clubs - which is what you mentioned re Super League.

Perhaps RL in England, even though it's been around for yonks, is in the same boat as is football here. When football is a much less popular and reported sport when compared to the behemoths of RL, RU and AFL it's a hard row to hoe when trying to attract interest. The FFA and the clubs seem to have come up (not before time!) with a strategy that seems to be working. If the information is correct crowds are up and over all interest is growing. I tuned to a radio coverage of a game last week where when listening to the crowd - chants and all - it was reminiscent of Burnden Park so many years ago.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:56 pm

And now they've sacked Vievers. Good man who's done decent things given what he's had to work with the last few months. Possibly a job for Brian Noble, but they'll probably publically target Sheens, Bellamy or Bennett.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Saints-Salford tonight. Well worth a punt on the reds at 12/1 seeing the Saints line-up and conditions. Going to be a lottery.
Attachments
large_upload.jpg
large_upload.jpg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 3706 times

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Is it not on Telly?
May the bridges I burn light your way

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Is it not on Telly?
Nah. Games on Saturday and Sunday this week on Sky. Guessing it has something to do with going directly up against Ingerland on ITV.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Ah, cheers Jimbo.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Blimey, that looks right parky, Salford. Are the players allowed wear gloves?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:25 pm

I've never seen a more one-sided game in all my life.
Wigan 34 - Widnes 0. 35 minutes played and Wigan have just missed a kick. :shock:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I've never seen a more one-sided game in all my life.
Wigan 34 - Widnes 0. 35 minutes played and Wigan have just missed a kick. :shock:
And that is why a 14 team competition is a poor idea and why we will never compete with Australia. So many problems could be solved by dropping to a 12 team league and then a top 4 playoffs, but it'll never happen as the current bottom 8 in the league will never vote for it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:13 pm

jimbo wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I've never seen a more one-sided game in all my life.
And that is why a 14 team competition is a poor idea and why we will never compete with Australia. So many problems could be solved by dropping to a 12 team league and then a top 4 playoffs, but it'll never happen as the current bottom 8 in the league will never vote for it.
Are you watching it, Jimbo? It's an absolute mauling. Wigan have taken their foot off the gas and are still 50-0 up with over 15 to play.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Got in in time to catch the second half. You could honestly believe that they were a few divisions apart watching this. Embarrassing really. Not as though Wigan have had to work hard for their tries. Just move the ball wide quickly with some dummy runners and Widnes can't cope.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:34 pm

jimbo wrote:Got in in time to catch the second half. You could honestly believe that they were a few divisions apart watching this. Embarrassing really. Not as though Wigan have had to work hard for their tries. Just move the ball wide quickly with some dummy runners and Widnes can't cope.
62-4. Bloody Hell. Honestly, Wigan took it easy in the 2nd half compared to the first. Didn't like that bit of niggle that crept into the Widnes players' game but felt a bit sorry for Dennis Betts - he looked shell-shocked.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Dujon wrote:Blimey, that looks right parky, Salford. Are the players allowed wear gloves?
It's a man's game, Dujon, so no gloves or snoods allowed :wink:
The Voice Of Reason

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Although the ref at HKR v Cas is wearing a skin under h shirt.. That'll be why he won't have made it as a player then. :D

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Although the ref at HKR v Cas is wearing a skin under h shirt.. That'll be why he won't have made it as a player then. :D
Too right Bruce, what a wimp!
The Voice Of Reason