Boston Marathon hit by explosions

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Boston Marathon hit by explosions

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:22 am

Interesting comments from the English (he is English, right?) guy on that video though.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:I find the suggestion of some sort of irony unfortunate and am glad that Bobo at least refrained.
I see no reason to refrain. The point I was trying to make to AT, rather rudely I might add, is that it is exactly at times like these that the lessons learnt from past mistakes re terrorism should be reiterated. There is no need to shy away from this and "leave it for another day".
I am sorry you find that unfortunate.
I was in the US, about 30 miles from NYC on 9/11.

It was horrific & rightly people were shocked.

One striking thing however was that the Americans there couldn't grasp how that was, even remotely, similar to what they had passively ... and in some cases aggressively ... supported for decades.

GW Bush, who was pretty statesman-like that few days, gave a speech to the nation that evening where he said that terrorism must not be tolerated. Nor should the suporters of terrorism.

The irony didn't miss the Brits there that evening but the locals were totally bemused.

It was proper not to tread on the local grief at that time, but I do think it had a small impact.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I find the suggestion of some sort of irony unfortunate and am glad that Bobo at least refrained.
I see no reason to refrain. The point I was trying to make to AT, rather rudely I might add, is that it is exactly at times like these that the lessons learnt from past mistakes re terrorism should be reiterated. There is no need to shy away from this and "leave it for another day".
If the terrorist(s) had bombed the St. Patrick's Day parade in Boston a month ago, I would have seen the irony and an unpleasant application of the golden rule. It is not really ironic that America is a target for terrorists - it is simply they are the most powerful country and a natural target for the disgruntled. Granted some of their foreign involvements do not help here. A century ago the UK was that same target but luckily the means of destruction were more limited.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I find the suggestion of some sort of irony unfortunate and am glad that Bobo at least refrained.
1) I was born in England, so believe me when I say that I understand the irony.
2) The idea that in the midst of people bombing innocent runners and spectators those few Irish donors from the troubles will suddenly come to the realization that their sponsoring of what they viewed as support of self determination was also wrong is a little wishcasting.
3) ALL of my relatives live in the United Kingdom. I have had relatives decide to go one place and not the other and miss a bombing by chance.
4) There are in fact times not to be sanctimonious and point the "you deserve it" finger. At some point there will be plenty of time to point out that the USA or even Boston has certainly not covered itself in glory when it comes to violence and civillians. But I think you know that they won't view it the same as you. That seems to upset you that we are not as self aware as you would like.

You have all the right in the world not to refrain, but I also have the right to believe that you are in poor taste.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:58 pm

americantrotter wrote: There are in fact times not to be sanctimonious and point the "you deserve it" finger. At some point there will be plenty of time to point out that the USA or even Boston has certainly not covered itself in glory when it comes to violence and civillians. But I think you know that they won't view it the same as you. That seems to upset you that we are not as self aware as you would like.

You have all the right in the world not to refrain, but I also have the right to believe that you are in poor taste.
Just to be absolutely clear, are you accusing me of pointing "you deserve it" finger?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
americantrotter wrote: There are in fact times not to be sanctimonious and point the "you deserve it" finger. At some point there will be plenty of time to point out that the USA or even Boston has certainly not covered itself in glory when it comes to violence and civillians. But I think you know that they won't view it the same as you. That seems to upset you that we are not as self aware as you would like.

Just to be absolutely clear, are you accusing me of pointing "you deserve it" finger?
He is also saying that you are in poor taste, which is something I agree with.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:I see no reason to refrain. The point I was trying to make to AT, rather rudely I might add, is that it is exactly at times like these that the lessons learnt from past mistakes re terrorism should be reiterated. There is no need to shy away from this and "leave it for another day".
I took this as "you deserve it" Yes I did.

Sensitive? I'll admit to that. I'll refrain from posting further as the last thing I want to do is be an internet martyr.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 pm

americantrotter wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:I see no reason to refrain. The point I was trying to make to AT, rather rudely I might add, is that it is exactly at times like these that the lessons learnt from past mistakes re terrorism should be reiterated. There is no need to shy away from this and "leave it for another day".
I took this as "you deserve it" Yes I did.

Sensitive? I'll admit to that. I'll refrain from posting further as the last thing I want to do is be an internet martyr.
It's sensitive issue for all of us, but seeing as you've accused me outright of saying Americans deserve to suffer at the hands of terrorists when I said no such thing, I'll respond with "go feck yourself".

I'll take the ban if deemed necessary but I'm not having that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Wandering Willy wrote: I'll respond with "go feck yourself".
Being able to use "go feck yourself" and "if deemed necessary" in the same post you are excused a flogging. :wink:

Think you both got a little bit mixed up somewhere in the thread. Admit it, shake hands and get on hey?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Pictures and surveillance released of two suspects wanted in connection with the bombings

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ap ... a5fdd8193b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 pm

They barely look out of their teens.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:18 am

mrkint wrote:They barely look out of their teens.
Indeed - proves my innocence.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:54 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote: I'll respond with "go feck yourself".
Being able to use "go feck yourself" and "if deemed necessary" in the same post you are excused a flogging. :wink:

Think you both got a little bit mixed up somewhere in the thread. Admit it, shake hands and get on hey?
Happy to do that.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:44 am

Shit gone down in the night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22213651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

one suspect dead, one police officer dead, t'other suspect on the run.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:17 pm

that "family guy" youtube mash up is somewhat ironic.

espesh since peter's voice (aka the writer/inventor) doesnt like it.

"you think that's bad... remember the time i tried making stew at the boston marathon"

it's ex-USSRian muslims.

in about 6 hours i'll edit the "it's" to "it were".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:51 pm

a1 wrote:that "family guy" youtube mash up is somewhat ironic.

espesh since peter's voice (aka the writer/inventor) doesnt like it.

"you think that's bad... remember the time i tried making stew at the boston marathon"

it's ex-USSRian muslims.

in about 6 hours i'll edit the "it's" to "it were".
CNN are reporting that the brothers are both Muslims from Chechnya

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Well NBC are saying they are Turks of Chechen descent. Similar but different to CNN reports in the detail.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:23 pm

...although I reckon that a1's comment about editing it is to it were is an almost certain bet.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:18 pm

Chechnyan authorities say they were born there but the family moved to Kazakhstan and later got residency status in the US about ten years ago.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Aye. Considering the lad's 19 too i doubt he would have had a particularly big affiliation with Checnya? idk