Have you seen your favourite song live?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Have you seen your favourite song live?

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Beefheart wrote: Some of the Magic Band toured the UK very recently (they might still be on the tour in fact), obviously sans Captain. No idea if they're any good though!

Unfortunately Frank Zappa died before I knew who he was, I've seen Zappa plays Zappa twice and they're an amazingly tight band, but if there was person I could see live it would be him, and I'd love to have heard 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' live but I'm not sure I'll get the chance as his son Dweezil still finds it to emotional a song to play.
I'm not sure that the Magic band without Beefheart would be my cuppa tea.
I did see Zappa once (in Berlin), when he toured with his Bizzarre bunch, the only one of which I remember well was Wild Man Fischer. Strange doesn't even begin to describe it.
Wow! Sounds like my dream gig. Were The GTO's, Alice Cooper etc on the bill? I watched a documentary recently about Bizarre records, was pretty interesting. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frank-Captain-B ... to+bizarre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What did you make of Wild Man Fischer? I have one of his albums, 'an evening with wildman fischer' and there's a lot of surprisingly catch vocal melodies in there but I wasn't entirely comfortable that it wasn't in some way exploiting a mentally ill man.
Alice Cooper was on the bill, but strangely enough he didn't have a big impact on my memory. I think it's because I saw him much later when he had all the face paint and School's Out was already 'famous' that it's overwritten the memory of the nerdy kid he was in Berlin - he had a snake, I remember that.
Wild Man Fischer was the star of the show, he blew everybody else (including Zappa and a couple of guest Mothers) away. He was... well Wild is the best way to describe him.
I had no idea what to expect, but any thoughts of exploiting a mentally ill man were never going to be entertained, if anybody was exploiting anyone it was Zappa and Fischer taking advantage of their audience, as most of the Germans there were totally bemused by the experience.
I've got An Evening With... on vinyl, which I can no longer play as my turntable has died. I have just three two* vinyl albums I've never been able to find on CD: An Evening With Wild Man Fischer, The Accelerators, and Prince Jazzbo's Natty Passing Thru.

* I forget that last year I got a Prince Jazzbo CD called Ital Corner which is an almost but not quite the same copy of Natty Passing Thru
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 pm

'An Evening With' has never be re-released on CD. As such it's the only album I've ever purchased digitally. I could send you the mp3's if youd like?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Beefheart wrote:'An Evening With' has never be re-released on CD. As such it's the only album I've ever purchased digitally. I could send you the mp3's if youd like?
Thanks but I'm going to get my deck fixed, I've been meaning to do it for ages and now I've got a reinvigorated reason to do it - to listen to Wild Man Fischer once more. :D
The album was one of the first ones I bought, and it was a double gatefold - luxury stuff back in those days. (I've still got an almost pristine double gatefold Electric Ladyland Lp, an American import with the naked ladies adorning it. It sounds better when played on vinyl and feasting ones eyes on that cover).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Santana playing live was awesome and ticked off a lot of my favourite tracks.

Sun Toucher - Groove Armada was great

Clean Up Your Eyes - The Dykeenies, awesome each of the 5 times I've seen them

Peg - Steely Dan - a little bit of a let down as it was soulless (The pair hate each other and it showed)
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Beefheart wrote: Some of the Magic Band toured the UK very recently (they might still be on the tour in fact), obviously sans Captain. No idea if they're any good though!

Unfortunately Frank Zappa died before I knew who he was, I've seen Zappa plays Zappa twice and they're an amazingly tight band, but if there was person I could see live it would be him, and I'd love to have heard 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' live but I'm not sure I'll get the chance as his son Dweezil still finds it to emotional a song to play.
I'm not sure that the Magic band without Beefheart would be my cuppa tea.
I did see Zappa once (in Berlin), when he toured with his Bizzarre bunch, the only one of which I remember well was Wild Man Fischer. Strange doesn't even begin to describe it.
Wow! Sounds like my dream gig. Were The GTO's, Alice Cooper etc on the bill? I watched a documentary recently about Bizarre records, was pretty interesting. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frank-Captain-B ... to+bizarre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What did you make of Wild Man Fischer? I have one of his albums, 'an evening with wildman fischer' and there's a lot of surprisingly catch vocal melodies in there but I wasn't entirely comfortable that it wasn't in some way exploiting a mentally ill man.
Saw Captain Beefheart at Lake Tahoe many years ago, and on a lessor note saw Alice Cooper with Suzie Quatro when I was still in High School. Alice managed to trip over a stage light, go flying off the stage, and smash his head on the cement floor.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:35 am

Seen Springsteen a bunch of times, but finally got to see him perform Jungleland in particular, at the 4th time of asking a few years ago. It was played in the encore after Born to Run, when I was convinced it wouldn't be played and I'd never get to hear it live.

No exaggeration. Transcendent. :D

(I may, or may not have been rather sloshed by this point.)

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 am

[quote="bobo the clown"]I'm still looking forward to seeing Jimi do "All Along the Watchtower".

Black Coffee by Steve Marriott's pretty unlikely too, I guess.

Plus, like Gazza, Zepp & Floyd would be right up there if I could.

I AM however going to see Roger Hodgson, main guy from Suprtramp, at the Bridgewater in May. That'll tick a lot of my boxes, as he does basically run through Supertramp's greatest hits.[/quote]

Early finish there then Bobo?...................

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Heathen.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Just having one favourite song is an impossibility. Hear it too much and you'll inevitably change to something else...ad infinitum. Best to have loads of them. Can you really say that hanging on to a memory of a time isn't part of the "favourite" bit? I can't.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Seen Pearl Jam 14 times, so I've seen my favorite song live many times. (Alive)

My favorite non-PJ song would be very hard to nail down. But I saw Bon Jovi play and they were a huge part of my childhood so I bet that probably takes care of #2. Seen other groups big and small and don't really have any regrets so there is no song I'm on the lookout for.

(Aside from seeing PJ cover Baba O'Riley)

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Heathen.

You'll be able to go the long way home....................

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Hoping James do Sometimes tonight, a song Brian Eno described as the best song he ever heard! I'm sure they will.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm

clapton is god wrote:Hoping James do Sometimes tonight, a song Brian Eno described as the best song he ever heard! I'm sure they will.
Here you go ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejU5YAHN3vQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
clapton is god wrote:Hoping James do Sometimes tonight, a song Brian Eno described as the best song he ever heard! I'm sure they will.
Here you go ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejU5YAHN3vQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saw 'em in 1990 (ish). That'll be 90 minutes I'll never get back. :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Here you go ...

Did they keep telling you to sit down ?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Here you go ...

Did they keep telling you to sit down ?
They did...twice. Wasn't necessary as I wasn't stood up.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 pm

I've seen my favourite aria - Di Provenza, il mar, il sol... half a dozen times live in productions of La Traviata in Manchester, London, Bristol and Leeds...

I saw Dylan royally feck up one of my favourites of his with an electric version of One Too Many Mornings back in about 1965 in Liverpool... This doesn't count really because I'd have about 20 songs competing for my favourite Dylan... And I've sen him feck up most of them one time or another in live performance all over the UK...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:50 pm

William the White wrote:I've seen my favourite aria - Di Provenza, il mar, il sol... half a dozen times live in productions of La Traviata in Manchester, London, Bristol and Leeds...

I saw Dylan royally feck up one of my favourites of his with an electric version of One Too Many Mornings back in about 1965 in Liverpool... This doesn't count really because I'd have about 20 songs competing for my favourite Dylan... And I've sen him feck up most of them one time or another in live performance all over the UK...
I think it must have been his 1966 World tour, which I saw in Montreal in February 1966 (it went to Liverpool the following May). 1965 was his last tour solo and acoustic. 1965 was in the Empire theatre and 1966 in the Odeon if that helps.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:I've seen my favourite aria - Di Provenza, il mar, il sol... half a dozen times live in productions of La Traviata in Manchester, London, Bristol and Leeds...

I think it must have been his 1966 World tour, which I saw in Montreal in February 1966 (it went to Liverpool the following May). 1965 was his last tour solo and acoustic. 1965 was in the Empire theatre and 1966 in the Odeon if that helps.
I think it probably was 66... The first half was acoustic and solo... The second electric and band and half the theatre emptying... But not me and our bunch... :D

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:08 am

More times than I can remember. At The End Of August by 36 Crazyfists, and they typically open their sets with it.

Although over the years You Won't Know by Brand New could have replaced it, and I've only seen that once.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;