Have you seen your favourite song live?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Have you seen your favourite song live?

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 am

If so, when?

If not, why not?

I've seen both of mine.

'Substitute' by Frank Turner, several times, best being at the Roundhouse.

'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues' by Gaslight, at Troxy a few weeks ago. Spine-tingly good.

Discuss.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Have you seen your favourite song live?

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 am

I'm not sure I could live a life with one favourite song. Got plenty of them, some I've seen, some I haven't.

From my first go at unsuccessfully getting Genesis tiks, it took about 30 years before I finally landed one. All awesome.

Same sort of SP with Springsteen, concert was crap and I bunked off out about an hour in...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:45 am

Is tourette's contagious?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:10 am

'She's cheating on you'*

*Direct quote to compere mate of mine, who was using the opportunity to introduce his rents to his Dorris' rents.

BALLABRIGS.

Anyway. Favourite song? I don't have one, but I have a select couple, and I've seen my two faves from that list now. Someone better write some new shit.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:19 am

As above, could never nail down a favourite.

Also, it's fifty years since I got my first transistor radio and a lot of tunes have tickled me fancy since then.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:23 am

I've seen Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Leonard Cohen live (and met the last several times). They all sang songs I liked a lot.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:59 am

Oh FFS just pick one. Lie if you have to!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 am

Prufrock wrote:Oh FFS just pick one. Lie if you have to!
No it's a silly idea. And lying makes you a bad person (sometimes)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:22 am

Most of the bands I like are from a time when I was too young to see them live. Over recent years I have been fortunate in that some of those bands have attempted to ressurrect their careers in some way shape or form.

Bands like Deep Purple (MKII) who reformed in '85 (I know) and abolutely stormed Knebworth. Highway Star, Strange Kind of Woman and Speed King (even Child in Time) had me stood with mouth agape.

Van Halen (DLR era) I missed. I've seen DLR solo but, meh.
Status Quo (original line up) I missed until this year (Brilliant, thanks for asking)
Rush I saw them a couple of years ago at Wembley (yawn)
Whitesnake (Moody/ Marsden) I missed. I have seen other incarnations but, frankly, Coverdale's voice ain't there anymore.
Journey with the Phillipino fella (actually very good, but essentially karaoke)
Styx - Absolutely the best live band I've seen. Great tunes, strong stage presence. Would love to have a beer with Tommy Shaw (man crush)

But to get to the point. My 3 favourite songs of all time I will never see performed live.

They are Kashmir or Thank You by Led Zeppelin and Shine on you Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:42 am

I'm still looking forward to seeing Jimi do "All Along the Watchtower".

Black Coffee by Steve Marriott's pretty unlikely too, I guess.

Plus, like Gazza, Zepp & Floyd would be right up there if I could.

I AM however going to see Roger Hodgson, main guy from Suprtramp, at the Bridgewater in May. That'll tick a lot of my boxes, as he does basically run through Supertramp's greatest hits.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:45 am

bobo the clown wrote:I'm still looking forward to seeing Jimi do "All Along the Watchtower".

Black Coffee by Steve Marriott's pretty unlikely too, I guess.

Plus, like Gazza, Zepp & Floyd would be right up there if I could.

I AM however going to see Roger Hodgson, main guy from Suprtramp, at the Bridgewater in May. That'll tick a lot of my boxes, as he does basically run through Supertramp's greatest hits.

I heard him interviewed on Planet Rock the other day. Funny guy. Very self deprecating.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 am

Sadly No, No, No, No, and No. for the following reasons

Favourite No.1 While Sheep May Safely Graze - although cover versions maybe acceptable to some, they aren't to me, so I was born a couple of centuries out and therefore missed all of Bach's gigs.

Favourite No.2 Voodoo Chile - extended version &/or Burning of the Midnight Lamp Whilst I managed (just) to see Hendrix [Isle of Wight - with help from my aunt who covered my fifteen year old arse, my mother wouldn't let me go] and although Hendrix played slight return, it's not quite the same. Although he did give me the greatest musical experience that I'll ever have. Nothing, absolutely nothing can ever beat hearing Machine Gun that morning, truly out of this world. Unfortunately the bugger upped and died on me before I could mature.

Favourite No.3 Orange Claw Hammer/Dachau Blues/virtually anything else from Trout Mask Replica.
The Captain did tour Britain once, and he was at Liverpool when I was there at university, but his ticket prices were outrageous, they were something like £30 or something [when the average concert prices were ten shillings or so. I've got ticket stubs still for Yes, Frampton's Camel and Led Zeppelin all for well under £2].
I've regretted not robbing a bank and going ever since.

Favourite No.4 Sister Ray. Although I kept an ear out for signs that the Velvet Underground would tour over here I'm not too sure they ever did. I saw a pathetic attempt by Doug Yule and Mo Tucker to recreate the good old days in 1971, but pathetic it truly was and therefore I don't count that (especially as Lou and Cale had left the band).

Favourite No.5 Roadrunner/Pablo Picasso simply put, I don't believe that Jonathon Richman and the Modern Lovers ever toured, so at least I'm not alone in never hearing it live.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:58 am

Saw Radiohead live. So yep, I have.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:40 am

Blimey - Suppose I'd have to do it by band, and that could take a while. The ones that spring to mind though are Pretty Vacant by Sex Pistols, Suspect Device by SLF, Round Here by Counting Crows (who I'll be watching for the umpteenth time this evening :mrgreen: ) and The Bends by Radiohead.
May the bridges I burn light your way

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:54 am

Yes.

More impressed by seeing stuff I thought I never see live though. Ruiner by NIN wasn't much cop in the end but Last by NIN was worth the wait.

Never though I'd see Alice In Chains live on account of the singer being dead. But they reformed with a new co singer, saw 'em in Manc a few years back and they were shit hot. Also played Got Me Wrong and other songs I didn't think they would. Which was nice.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Most of the bands I like are from a time when I was too young to see them live. Over recent years I have been fortunate in that some of those bands have attempted to ressurrect their careers in some way shape or form.

Bands like Deep Purple (MKII) who reformed in '85 (I know) and abolutely stormed Knebworth. Highway Star, Strange Kind of Woman and Speed King (even Child in Time) had me stood with mouth agape.

Van Halen (DLR era) I missed. I've seen DLR solo but, meh.
Status Quo (original line up) I missed until this year (Brilliant, thanks for asking)
Rush I saw them a couple of years ago at Wembley (yawn)
Whitesnake (Moody/ Marsden) I missed. I have seen other incarnations but, frankly, Coverdale's voice ain't there anymore.
Journey with the Phillipino fella (actually very good, but essentially karaoke)
Styx - Absolutely the best live band I've seen. Great tunes, strong stage presence. Would love to have a beer with Tommy Shaw (man crush)

But to get to the point. My 3 favourite songs of all time I will never see performed live.

They are Kashmir or Thank You by Led Zeppelin and Shine on you Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd
Seen a good few of them in their "near to original" incarnations, although I couldn't own up to Quo in the 60's. :-) :oops:

Still possibly time for a much heralded Floyd reunion. Waters is pretty good on his todd (well with support musicians).

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Sadly No, No, No, No, and No. for the following reasons

Favourite No.1 While Sheep May Safely Graze - although cover versions maybe acceptable to some, they aren't to me, so I was born a couple of centuries out and therefore missed all of Bach's gigs.

Favourite No.2 Voodoo Chile - extended version &/or Burning of the Midnight Lamp Whilst I managed (just) to see Hendrix [Isle of Wight - with help from my aunt who covered my fifteen year old arse, my mother wouldn't let me go] and although Hendrix played slight return, it's not quite the same. Although he did give me the greatest musical experience that I'll ever have. Nothing, absolutely nothing can ever beat hearing Machine Gun that morning, truly out of this world. Unfortunately the bugger upped and died on me before I could mature.

Favourite No.3 Orange Claw Hammer/Dachau Blues/virtually anything else from Trout Mask Replica.
The Captain did tour Britain once, and he was at Liverpool when I was there at university, but his ticket prices were outrageous, they were something like £30 or something [when the average concert prices were ten shillings or so. I've got ticket stubs still for Yes, Frampton's Camel and Led Zeppelin all for well under £2].
I've regretted not robbing a bank and going ever since.

Favourite No.4 Sister Ray. Although I kept an ear out for signs that the Velvet Underground would tour over here I'm not too sure they ever did. I saw a pathetic attempt by Doug Yule and Mo Tucker to recreate the good old days in 1971, but pathetic it truly was and therefore I don't count that (especially as Lou and Cale had left the band).

Favourite No.5 Roadrunner/Pablo Picasso simply put, I don't believe that Jonathon Richman and the Modern Lovers ever toured, so at least I'm not alone in never hearing it live.
Some of the Magic Band toured the UK very recently (they might still be on the tour in fact), obviously sans Captain. No idea if they're any good though!

Unfortunately Frank Zappa died before I knew who he was, I've seen Zappa plays Zappa twice and they're an amazingly tight band, but if there was person I could see live it would be him, and I'd love to have heard 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' live but I'm not sure I'll get the chance as his son Dweezil still finds it to emotional a song to play.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:10 am

Beefheart wrote: Some of the Magic Band toured the UK very recently (they might still be on the tour in fact), obviously sans Captain. No idea if they're any good though!

Unfortunately Frank Zappa died before I knew who he was, I've seen Zappa plays Zappa twice and they're an amazingly tight band, but if there was person I could see live it would be him, and I'd love to have heard 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' live but I'm not sure I'll get the chance as his son Dweezil still finds it to emotional a song to play.
I'm not sure that the Magic band without Beefheart would be my cuppa tea.
I did see Zappa once (in Berlin), when he toured with his Bizzarre bunch, the only one of which I remember well was Wild Man Fischer. Strange doesn't even begin to describe it.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Beefheart wrote: Some of the Magic Band toured the UK very recently (they might still be on the tour in fact), obviously sans Captain. No idea if they're any good though!

I'm not sure that the Magic band without Beefheart would be my cuppa tea.
I did see Zappa once (in Berlin), when he toured with his Bizzarre bunch, the only one of which I remember well was Wild Man Fischer. Strange doesn't even begin to describe it.
Wow! Sounds like my dream gig. Were The GTO's, Alice Cooper etc on the bill? I watched a documentary recently about Bizarre records, was pretty interesting. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frank-Captain-B ... to+bizarre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What did you make of Wild Man Fischer? I have one of his albums, 'an evening with wildman fischer' and there's a lot of surprisingly catch vocal melodies in there but I wasn't entirely comfortable that it wasn't in some way exploiting a mentally ill man.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:09 pm

Nope, Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols was just a tad too young to escape to see them
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!