This weeks RIP's........

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: This weeks RIP's........

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:19 am

Ha ha ha ha Bite!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:28 am

Cassius Clay. Quite a character and would rightly go onto any montage about the C20th.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:00 am

The greatest ever. Rest in peace Champ :(
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TheHeatonWanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TheHeatonWanderer » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:08 am

Muhammad Ali aka Cassius Clay, what a true great he was. Always loved his speeches, my favourite memory of him was when he called out Brian Clough who was big headed like him and Clough said "I want to fight him"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:15 am

Superb Boxer, important sociological figure, playful and funny person. RIP.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:47 am

R.I.P.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Muhammad Ali

R I P

The world of boxing has lost it's finest

The world has lost the greatest showman, ever.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:24 pm

aye - I echo all the above - and add this thought..

a man who refused to go and blow people up and kill people because he was a muslim (among other reasons) - and was pilloried for it and punished and called a coward...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Superb Boxer
And complete Gobshite. Thought he was both erudite and witty because he was succored up to by obsequious types such as Parkinson.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:27 pm

thebish wrote:
a man who refused to go and blow people up and kill people because he was a muslim
Yeah. I think a man who refused to be shot at.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:29 pm

thebish wrote:aye - I echo all the above - and add this thought..

a man who refused to go and blow people up and kill people because he was a muslim (among other reasons) - and was pilloried for it and punished and called a coward...
Genuine question - was he a Muslim before he decided to not go & get shot at .... or did he decide being a Muslim would coincide, indeed asdust with his desire not to get shot at ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:37 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

Genuine question - was he a Muslim before he decided to not go & get shot at .... or did he decide being a Muslim would coincide, indeed asdust with his desire not to get shot at ?
before.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:06 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

Had he enlisted there was no chance he would be shot at. He would be treated as Joe Louis was in WW2 - that is, kept out of the front lines to give inspirational messages to troops during their R & R periods. He knew this at the time.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Had he enlisted there was no chance he would be shot at. He would be treated as Joe Louis was in WW2 - that is, kept out of the front lines to give inspirational messages to troops during their R & R periods. He knew this at the time.
Nor called upon to blow people up and kill people, Muslim or nae then?! A superb boxer? Undoubtedly. Full of shit? To the brim.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:46 pm

whilst I am normally to be found in the Iconoclast's camp - not in this case - nor have I any interest in boxing at all...

It seems to me that you have to consider the impact Ali made on American civil rights culture by being who he was - and you have to take into account the times in which he lived - where being black usually meant your voice wan't heard - his was - because of who he was and how he was... and he used that to good effect.

Tyson Fury - boxing gobshoite? - yeah, absolutely..

Ali - boxing gobshoite? (and coward??) - nahh - I am not persuaded... not even close.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:08 pm

thebish wrote:

Ali - boxing gobshoite? (and coward??) - nahh - I am not persuaded... not even close.

For me, Ali was the greater boxer and Fury the bigger gobshite. However, when Tyson Fury dies, if anyone's actually bothered, then his words will be held up for the ridicule that they deserve. Yet the fecking ridiculous primary school rhyming couplets of Ali that are being played by the BBC especially, as if they were the words of Shakespeare, are absolutely embarrassing.. Hospitalised a brick indeed. :roll:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:

For me, Ali was the greater boxer and Fury the bigger gobshite. However, when Tyson Fury dies, if anyone's actually bothered, then his words will be held up for the ridicule that they deserve. Yet the fecking ridiculous primary school rhyming couplets of Ali that are being played by the BBC especially, as if they were the words of Shakespeare, are absolutely embarrassing.. Hospitalised a brick indeed. :roll:
aye - 'appen as like... but - what Ali achieved because of the persona he created around himself made a big impact on the struggle for black emancipation in America - so - if the rhyming couplets played a part in getting him noticed and having his voice heard - getting him airtime - then I reckon, on balance, given the struggle black people had back then to even BE heard, that that is a good thing - and I applaud the contribution he made.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:35 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:

aye - 'appen as like... but - what Ali achieved because of the persona he created around himself made a big impact on the struggle for black emancipation in America - so - if the rhyming couplets played a part in getting him noticed and having his voice heard - getting him airtime - then I reckon, on balance, given the struggle black people had back then to even BE heard, that that is a good thing - and I applaud the contribution he made.
I just never got him as a person. If I hear Michael Parkinson bang on about him one more time I'll hurl. I always thought that he rode on the coat tales of MLK in the emancipation and general derision of blacks debate. As a kid I used to buy SHOOT magazine and they had this interview feature called 'Focus'. The final question was always 'Who in the world would you most like to meet?' To which the answer came from all but two or three - Mohammed Ali, and I just always thought - why? :conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:43 pm

well - I just don't ever listen to Michael Parkinson - the man has always made my flesh creep! sorted! :-)

(I think it is harsh to claim that Ali simply rode on the coat-tails of MLK - even if he did - it still wasn't easy post MLK's assassination to have your voice heard as a black man in America. I think Ali was more in the Malcolm X / Nation of Islam stream...)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:08 pm

thebish wrote:well - I just don't ever listen to Michael Parkinson - the man has always made my flesh creep! sorted! :-)

(I think it is harsh to claim that Ali simply rode on the coat-tails of MLK - even if he did - it still wasn't easy post MLK's assassination to have your voice heard as a black man in America. I think Ali was more in the Malcolm X / Nation of Islam stream...)
You listen to Five Live. I'm stunned (yet impressed) if you've managed to avoid the fellating of Ali by Parkinson. OK, I think that there must be something between riding on the coat-tails and carrying on the work of MLK. That.